Possible Benefits of Nicotine Discovered (Real Research)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
ibobbyvapor,

Thanx for the link! I've added that to my Vapor's Primer folder.
thumbsup.gif

ibobbyvapor

Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
This was indeed published in 97'. This means there have been more research since then & despite the benefits of nicotine research we still have a ways to go. People demonize the mere mention of nicotine, because they associate it with cigarettes. These studies are good news. Someone stepped up to the plate and did some tests despite popular opinion & found some benefits. There are more articles being posted in medical journal each year as a result. Here is one from this year:

Nicotine shows potential medical benefits

I have more if you would like to read them.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
A friend of mine told me his doctor recommended nicotine to help memory function. It's good to see there might be some merit there. I gave him a stack of nic patches I had laying around from before I started vaping.

-AJ

Yes, there might just be some merit to this. I have a family member who suffers from schizophrenia and he was also told by a doctor that nicotine does have some properties in it that help certain mental disorders, so if that is the case, the likelihood it could help memory would certainly be possible. He even (the doctor) said many people who suffer from a myriad of mental disorders self medicate with cigarettes because of its ability to help bring clarity to the mind. IF you have ever been to a mental facility to visit a loved one, etc you will find almost EVERY patient smokes which is what I found when I would visit him. I am not saying that is dead on evidence that it helps mental disorders but certainly could have some correlation. The article below also mentions people who use nicotine patches to help memory (people not necessarily with any mental disorder, just problems with memory). To any would-be date police, yes this was published a few years back because it was more than several years ago that my family member was given this information.

Schizophrenia.com - Nicotine Benefits

Last edited:

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
A newer article from 2006 also touting similar benefits....these articles are all over the net from many sources, I personally feel there must be SOMETHING to it. I'm not saying that the medical field should start touting nicotine as the best thing since sliced bread, but I think the panic over the dangers of nicotine have been very over stated because of the ill effects of smoking cigarettes (and as we all clearly know, nicotine is but ONE OF MANY ingredients in a cigarette, and nicotine itself has not been shown in any studies to be cancer causing).

http://ezinearticles.com/?Nicotine---Are-We-Ignoring-Its-Health-Benefits?&id=291157

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    from the original link:
    Dr. Paul R. Sanberg, a professor of neurological surgery at the University of South Florida in Tampa, has tested nicotine patches and haloperidol on patients with Tourette's syndrome, which causes them to twitch constantly and mutter meaningless sounds or phrases.

Dr. Sanberg said the nicotine patch helped patients on whom haloperidol did not work well. He was co-author of a letter published in the journal Nature in October saying there was growing evidence indicating that nicotine had therapeutic properties.

As a life long sufferer of Tourette's syndrome (throat ticks) I can vouch that nicotine does interrupt the urges that precede ticks. Also, at least for me, smoking was far more effective than the patch. Vaping is the only alternative to smoking that I have found that is as effective.

mylose64

ECF Veteran
    Mar 18, 2011
    Savannah, GA
    I did enjoy reading the article, but there is always something that is on my mind when I hear about the potential benefits of nicotine.

I have expressed my opinion a few times on this, but every time I think of nicotine I always think of the word "addiction".

Although nicotine could possibly prevent crippling mental disorders, I can't shake the fact that nicotine is highly addictive.

I've been smoking since I was 13 (maybe younger!) and started e cigs a year ago, and even though I stumble upon these articles that put nicotine in a better light, I still feel that nicotine is still a horrible drug in my honest opinion.

Maybe it's the fact that it's so readily available (cigarettes) that cause it to be so addictive, but I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to have someone be addicted to nicotine.

Perhaps used in a medical environment the addiction aspect could be curved?

Sorry to be a buzzkill, I just honestly hate nicotine, no matter how many peach flavored e-cig rings I exhale.

I know there are people that can smoke a cigarette and not go back and I understand that cigarettes are the culprit to cancer, not the nicotine, I know that nicotine is "natural" and is in vegetables, but If I had the chance I would have never picked up my first cigarette, even if I'm healthy and alive by using an e-cig.

It sounds very strange coming from an ECF user, but I've always had this love/hate relationship with nicotine. It won't hurt my feelings if you call me a hypocrite :p

Last edited:

mooreted

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2011
    California
    This was indeed published in 97'. This means there have been more research since then & despite the benefits of nicotine research we still have a ways to go. People demonize the mere mention of nicotine, because they associate it with cigarettes. These studies are good news. Someone stepped up to the plate and did some tests despite popular opinion & found some benefits. There are more articles being posted in medical journal each year as a result. Here is one from this year:

Nicotine shows potential medical benefits

I have more if you would like to read them.

Yeah, put up some links.

36tinybells

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2011
    Right Over Here
    I found the comments particularly interesting: Discovery Health "How can nicotine be good for me?"

I know loads of people taking anti-depressants, neurontin, ect., on a daily basis. Nic is not that bad, IMO, The side effects, without combustion of tobacco and the added chemicals, just aren't bad.
    MEDICAL USES FOR TOBACCO
    Having had a grandmother with Alzheimer's, I am okay with a nic addiction. Just in case.

ibobbyvapor

Jan 11, 2012
    Southern California
    I would also like to add that I would be very interested if a synthetic nicotine was created that wasn't addictive. :D

There are so many complexities to addiction, mainly because the variance of individuals plays a major part. People are addicted to things that are not classified as addiction ie: Bubble Gum, food & even healthy activities like running which produce a high when you get your second wind. Granted things like nicotine and caffeine can produce a addiction faster because they are stimulants. However even if science finds a way to keep the benefits and remove the "Addiction", people will still be stimulated. Nicotine improves brain function. People will still become addicted to the benefits. I think what has happened is many have labeled all addictions bad. I know people who are addicted to exercise. We have learned to call good addictions, "Habits" and bad addictions, "Addiction". What concerns me about tampering with a natural substance and synthesizing it to the point of trying to remove things, is there are documented cases where that has back fired. Nicotine on its own is a stimulant, like caffeine. Both caffeine and nicotine are considered poison in massive doses. But people vape and drink coffee everyday. Mostly those doses are not deadly for the average adult. In fact caffeine overdose is not uncommon & nicotine is demonized far more than coffee. Interesting.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread