Pondering my first tube mod... 3 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
After having vaped like a champ for two or three months now, using exclusively an ego-c twist 1000mah and vivinovas, I can't help but lust over all sorts of tube mods. I first was seriously considering biting the bullet and going straight for a Provari as I'm a bit concerned that after all the incredible VV action with my twist, I might be let down by the vapor production and limitations of a fixed 3.7V vape; however, after having perused the classifieds and seeing so many vets with non-VV/VWattage Caravelas, GG's etc., powered by a 3.7V 18650 w/ lo res attys/cartos, I'm much less concerned. Plus, funds are limited and saving cash for juice would be key-- but I digress.

And so, my first question: I have six or seven 2.4ohm vivinova heads; how would they vape at 3.7V? I do have the ohm's law chart and it seems to indicate that it'd be perfect, but I have tinkered around a lot with voltage settings, adjusting to taste (and usually settling in around 4.4-4.6V) and for that reason alone am worried 3.7 would be underwhelming.

Secondly, the Kick: If I do end up with something like the Silver Bullet or Omega, I'm sure it'll end up kicked down the road. There are extension "sleeves" for the SB to make it compatible with the kick-- what about the omega? I like the idea of the omega's mechanical plunger switch, not to mention I think it's a much more elegant looking mod.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly: any suggestions other than a SB or Omega? I'm not too keen on getting something like a lavatube, just cause I could spend a bit more money and buy a Provari. What are the community favorites for a ~$100-$150 budget (150 would have to be a beaut, as I could get a provari starter kit for 200)? I don't have batteries either and was wondering if these aw imr 18650's are industry standards for anything else, so that maybe I could purchase them locally so I know that when the mod arrives I'll be good to go.

I know I had more questions in mind, but I can't think of them now and this is already a long, multi-topic post to begin with-- sorry about that. Can't wait to hear from you guys... Thanks in advance!!:toast:

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
a reo grand for 144 would fall in your price range and be a fixed voltage mod that would change your perspective on vaping altogether since you can almost exclusively use drip attys on it and get the best flavor possible wherever...the silver bullet is a solid tried and true classic that refuses to die, and you can get a vector from vapor beast if you want to try a big battery tube mod before plunging into the provari waters, but overall the gold standard well pretty much be the provari for awhile.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
For me one of the foremost things I feel I need in a mod is to be able to read the ohms of the vivi heads or whatever I'm using. Because probably more times than not I have ordered a 2.4 ohm head and it's reading at 3.2 ohms when I fire it up. If I only had a 3.7v mod, it probably wouldn't work very well and I would be wondering why it wasn't. So to me a mod that reads ohms is important and if I had just a 3.7v mod (and I do have some of those as wel), I would probably try to stick to the LR 1.8 ohm heads just in case because they just don't seem to all be accurate in the ohms.

rcpcdude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
is this legit? I'm about to order this right now!! How could this be?

yes but its coming from china so expect long and expensive shipping. same tube can be had with a similar kit on varitube.com and free-cigs.com with free shipping so you pay similar price but get it in 3-5 days instead of 3-5 weeks

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
After using VV for a year I would not consider going back to a 3.7V devices. Keep in mind that most are unregulated, so you will get 4.2 at the atty when fully charged, and then the voltage will drop until the battery is depleted. There is a big difference in how a carto hits when the battery is at 4.2V, 3.7V or 3.2V. Try it on your twist and you'll see what I mean.

With that being said, if you can afford a Provari, get one - it's worth every penny. Other options I would consider is a Kick-ed SB or a Buzz Pro. They don't have the LED readout and you can't check resistance with them but they are solid units that get great reviews. Another option would be the Z-Max. The v2 has gotten some good reviews but it is still fairly new. If you really want to do it on the cheap, get a LavaTube or a kick-ed Bolt.

xb9rguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
I'm kinda in the same boat you are in hexagon. What I did though was used my VV to find where I wanted to be with what I liked and decided 3.7v was going to be fine for what I use. I like LR cartos in a tank in the same range that Stef64 just mentioned and just had to buy a smoktek telescope mod due to me messing up my mini lavatube and it's been great so far. I did want, and will get, a Silver Bullet but my local vape shop doesn't carry them and I wasn't about to go days without a vape. I also figured the telescope mod would be a good one to have since it's mechanical (less to go wrong with it) and will take a wide variety of batteries. Anyways, hopefully this helps you some, happy vaping.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
hexagondun said:
If I do end up with something like the Silver Bullet or Omega, I'm sure it'll end up kicked down the road. There are extension "sleeves" for the SB to make it compatible with the kick-- what about the omega? I like the idea of the omega's mechanical plunger switch, not to mention I think it's a much more elegant looking mod.

Silver Bullet ($85) + ext. sleeve ($25) + Kick ($45) = $155

Omega ($95) + ext. sleeve ($25) + Kick ($45) = $ 165

Basic Provari = 165

:blink: I realize that getting the Provari is a big chunk of money all at once, where as the mechanical Altsmoke mods you can gradually add what you need to get close to what you can get with a Provari, but to me it makes more sense to save up for the Provari in the long run.

Keep in mind the ease of use factor. To change settings with the Kick you have to remove the battery and Kick each time from the mod, change the setting screw with a screwdriver, and then put everything back in.

With the Provari you get easy changing of the setting with the few presses of a button, and get a built-in voltage meter and resistance meter.

Last edited:

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
You are probably going to be underwhelmed by a 2.2-2.4ohm vivi on a regular 3.7v mod, especially on less than a fully charged battery. As Stef64 said, the wonderful 4.2v potential is only for a little while and steadily diminishes to less than 3.7.

If you do want to try one, a Bolt is a great inexpensive way to try it out, and the batteries and charger will be usable in many other devices if you do want to move up. The Bolt can be kicked with the extension sleeve and the Omega works well with the Kick.

Last edited:

xb9rguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
Tacoma, Washington

robyone

Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Rome, Italy
Well if you can't get the provary, how abut the Zmax V2??? here in Europe it's going for arround 99 Euros if I'm not mistaken... It was my second choise, but went for the provari instead... There is a sayng in Italy that goes "Più spendi meno spendi" in other words the more you spend in the beginning the less you will spend in the end because you got much higher quality that will last you and won't break after a short time forcing you to buy something else...

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
2.4 ohms at 3.7 volts is gonna be a little under vapored and short on taste IMO. I use 1.7s at 3.7 volts and theyre spot on for me for most juices. Thats also the key, some juices simply arent going to taste good at that voltage range.

If I were using it on my Provari or other vv device Id probably bump it up to 4.4 volts.If youve never tried variable voltage before you would be surprised at how much a difference even .5 volts can make in flavor and vapor production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread