Ohms never change.. Is it my mod or my wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so i just received my AGA-T2 today, and just started making Mesh wicks. Ive been making my own coils for a little while. So here is my issue. When i use Kanthal .12 my ohms read between 2.8 and 3.4 ohm with my SVD, with 6 wraps of the wire. its all over the place. Using Kanthal .32 wire it could be 3 wraps or 6 wraps and the SVD always reads .7 ohms. Now, im not using a torch to oxidize my Mesh wicks.. im using a plain old butane lighter, heating ti red hot, dipping it in water 3 times as suggested in numerous youtube vids, then burning 100% PG 3 more times on the wick. i dont know if my mods is lying to me, or if im just not quite getting the wicks to high enough temp while oxidizing them. im using Stainless 400 mesh. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I'd bet you have a short on the mesh. I'm lazy and hate to fidget with poking an moving the coils to fix hot spots and shorts. I still do a good job of oxidizing the wick but after that is done I take a bit of VG and put it on the spot I plan to put the coil and put one wrap of cigarette paper ( no glue) around the wick where the coil will go. I have yet to get a short after doing this. You may still get a hot spot on the ends if the leads are too long but it greatly reduces the chances of the those problems. After wrapping I dry burn it. Also cuts breakin time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread