Oh Good, Finally A Rehab Center For "Vapes Addiction"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I've been through rehab (for chronic alcohol and substance addiction) I'm totally clean now of all substances and have been for a year (except my vape and copious amounts of coffee ;)

I'm quite intrigued as to how they would treat this, interesting!
Maybe with an ecig that would shock you at random times?

Reactions: mauricem00

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Sounds a bit "clockwork orangey"...

The thing is, there is *no reason* to have a rehab center for vaping. Vaping is harm reduction for smoking. If you get tired of it... quit. You'll either go back to smoking, or you won't, but vaping is the *cure* for cigarette addiction. There is none of the absolute urgency which is associated with addiction. Which is why it can't possibly be an "addiction". In the worst possible case, I'd call it a dependency, and for most of us, after a few years of vaping, not even really very much of that.

A rehab center for vaping is like a rehab center for methadone. Just stupid.

Andria

MattyVigilante

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Northamptonshire
I agree with some of what you are saying, I agree vaping is the *cure* or at the very least the best alternative we have. I also agree that it makes no sense to have a rehab for vaping. People don't commit crimes, sell their bodies or put themselves and their families at risk for vaping (I hope!)

There was a point where if I did not have a drink for X amount of hours I risked seizures and cardiac failure, that will never be the case for vapers, it isn't mind altering in that sense. I would agree its a can be a dependency which is an extension of smoking but nothing close to "real addiction" as it were.

Incidentally there are plenty of rehabs for methadone addicts and methadone in my experience causes far more problems than it solves most of the time.

But I do agree with a lot of what you say :)

Reactions: Woofer

MattyVigilante

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Northamptonshire
The thing is, there is *no reason* to have a rehab center for vaping. Vaping is harm reduction for smoking. If you get tired of it... quit. You'll either go back to smoking, or you won't, but vaping is the *cure* for cigarette addiction. There is none of the absolute urgency which is associated with addiction. Which is why it can't possibly be an "addiction". In the worst possible case, I'd call it a dependency, and for most of us, after a few years of vaping, not even really very much of that.

A rehab center for vaping is like a rehab center for methadone. Just stupid.

Andria
I agree with some of what you are saying, I agree vaping is the *cure* or at the very least the best alternative we have. I also agree that it makes no sense to have a rehab for vaping. People don't commit crimes, sell their bodies or put themselves and their families at risk for vaping (I hope!)

There was a point where if I did not have a drink for X amount of hours I risked seizures and cardiac failure, that will never be the case for vapers, it isn't mind altering in that sense. I would agree its a can be a dependency which is an extension of smoking but nothing close to "real addiction" as it were.

Incidentally there are plenty of rehabs for methadone addicts and methadone in my experience causes far more problems than it solves most of the time.

Reactions: mauricem00

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

When I quit drinking, it was cold turkey; my doctor said 'don't you know you could have had a stroke?' I said sure, but if I'd had a drink, I'd have barfed, and to me that's worse than anything else that could possibly happen. :D

Andria

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
When I quit drinking, it was cold turkey; my doctor said 'don't you know you could have had a stroke?' I said sure, but if I'd had a drink, I'd have barfed, and to me that's worse than anything else that could possibly happen. :D

Andria
Wonder what that doc would say about how I quit my d.o.c..

Week long stomach convulsion is no fun. A stroke would have been a much welcomed change at that point.

Tapatyped

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Wonder what that doc would say about how I quit my d.o.c..

Week long stomach convulsion is no fun. A stroke would have been a much welcomed change at that point.

Tapatyped

Ditto that! That last hangover was truly the hangover from hell! I was too sick to drink, OR go to an AA meeting -- for 2 days! On the third day, I decided the AA meeting was the better choice. :D

Andria

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Ditto that! That last hangover was truly the hangover from hell! I was too sick to drink, OR go to an AA meeting -- for 2 days! On the third day, I decided the AA meeting was the better choice. :D

Andria
When my week was up and I could finally see and stand, I cleaned up the vomit, showered twice, put on some clean clothes, went for a walk and got a new job.

I was still sick for the next 2 years and nauseous at the site of said substance for over a decade.

Mind, that's one of many, many addictions for me. All kicked except coffee. All cold turkey except smoking. I survived somehow. o_O

Ah, the good old days...

Tapatyped

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Ditto that! That last hangover was truly the hangover from hell!

That's what stopped me. I could handle one day hangovers by hiding under the blankets. Same with two day hangovers ... :(

But by age 39, the three day misery set in, and spilled over into Monday at work ... :shock:

Having a non-drinking girlfriend at the time made all the difference. She had a unique reward system for every day sober ... :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That's what stopped me. I could handle one day hangovers by hiding under the blankets. Same with two day hangovers ... :(

But by age 39, the three day misery set in, and spilled over into Monday at work ... :shock:

Having a non-drinking girlfriend at the time made all the difference. She had a unique reward system for every day sober ... :D

See, that's where a male metabolism served you well... I was getting 3 and 4 day hangovers at the tender age of 31. I really think there *is* something to that; if you see "old winos", they're always male -- women either sober up young... or never get old. I was 31 when I quit, and my health had returned within a year (I also lost 25 lbs in that year without even trying, even though I was eating MORE!); my mom carried on drinking into her 50s... until she developed cirrhosis. :facepalm:

Andria

Reactions: rico942
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread