Addiction and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodoman1916

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2014
saint louis
I just wanted to throw out a few thoughts as to why vaping is so affective in combating the addiction to analogs.

I truly believe that the addiction to analogs isn't just about nicotine... it is multi-tiered. Nicotine, as we all know very well, is very much addictive. It's not the best thing in the world for you, but it's not the worst either, and it certainly keeps you coming back for more. Much in the way caffeine does.

However, analog addiction goes well beyond that. Inherent lies the reason that nicotine patches, gums, and creams fail so miserably. The "ritual" of smoking is a huge factor in this. The allure of which we all become so easily addicted to it. The definition is a little different for everyone, but it falls in the realm of the "morning smoke", or the "start your car and light up" habit. Beer in one hand, cigarette in the other? Anyone heard of that one? There are many more, as I'm sure you all can relate.

Sure go ahead and put a patch on me, or give me a bit of gum, but what the heck am I supposed to do now? Honestly, I'd rather put the gum, in the patch, rolled it up, and smoke it.

The last one is a bit abstract, but often forgotten is the "throat hit". Make no mistake about it. It is something that a vast majority of serious smokers tend to enjoy. Now I might be going out on a limb here, but enjoy something 100 times a day, and Id dare to say that one might be addicted. This odd sort of addiction happens in so many different things. For instance, hot sauce addicts are helplessly addicted to "the burn". A feeling that actually inflicts pain, of which I am a card carrying member. Its there and its very real.

In closing, the reason that vaping is so devastatingly effective at allowing people to break the chains of addiction is that it addresses its every facet with one simple affordable device. You get the jolt from the nicotine, you get the throat hit, and you get the ritual, all of which you can tailor exactly to your liking. There is no other product on the market that comes even close.....

If the FDA wanted to do something right by the people all they have to do is open their eyes.... and see the possibilities. Do their job....Protect us, nurture us, and replace the murderous industry they are protecting with one that can potentially save millions of lives. Of course, that would be "in a prefect world scenario", and I know, all too well, that this isn't the place.

Last edited:

Mirags

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
Linwood NJ
I just wanted to throw out a few thoughts as to why vaping is so affective in combating the addiction to analogs.

I truly believe that the addiction to analogs isn't just about nicotine... it is multi-tiered. Nicotine, as we all know very well, is very much addictive. It's not the best thing in the world for you, but it's not the worst either, and it certainly keeps you coming back for more. Much in the way caffeine does.

However, analog addiction goes well beyond that. Inherent lies the reason that nicotine patches, gums, and creams fail so miserably. The "ritual" of smoking is a huge factor in this. The allure of which we all become so easily addicted to it. The definition is a little different for everyone, but it falls in the realm of the "morning smoke", or the "start your car and light up" habit. Beer in one hand, cigarette in the other? Anyone heard of that one? There are many more, as I'm sure you all can relate.

Sure go ahead and put a patch on me, or give me a bit of gum, but what the heck am I supposed to do now? Honestly, I'd rather put the gum, in the patch, rolled it up, and smoke it.

The last one is a bit abstract, but often forgotten is the "throat hit". Make no mistake about it. It is something that a vast majority of serious smokers tend to enjoy. Now I might be going out on a limb here, but enjoy something 100 times a day, and Id dare to say that one might be addicted. This odd sort of addiction happens in so many different things. For instance, hot sauce addicts are helplessly addicted to "the burn". A feeling that actually inflicts pain, of which I am a card carrying member. Its there and its very real.

In closing, the reason that vaping is so devastatingly effective at allowing people to break the chains of addiction is that it addresses its every facet with one simple affordable device. You get the jolt from the nicotine, you get the throat hit, and you get the ritual, all of which you can tailor exactly to your liking. There is no other product on the market that comes even close.....

If the FDA wanted to do something right by the people all they have to do is open their eyes.... and see the possibilities. Do their job....Protect us, nurture us, and replace the murderous industry they are protecting with one that can potentially save millions of lives. Of course, that would be "in a prefect world scenario", and I know, all too well, that this isn't the place.

Well said.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
This is very much on point - thank you for sharing this!

Just to add... previous to my entry into the eLiquid game, I practiced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Existential Psychotherapy, and Practice Guided by Applied Behavioral Analaysis (ABA). Existential Psychotherapy deals with the process of "meaning making" - Nicoticket is a nod to that. Vaping Nicoticket "means something." Replacing and re-framing meaning where there deep-seated non-productive beliefs were held previously, or perhaps more importantly, or creating meaning anew when a vacuum previous existed.. ABA, more than addressing the subject of interest, addresses the other contributing factors - the ENVIRONMENT. Often, small change in the environment can have dramatic impacts on behavioral outcomes. Practice Guided by ABA are also notoriously know as "bean counters." Now, if I had the data - I would bet my good name on the following statement. "Your post count directly translates into success by virtue of the fact that you are repeatedly engaging support." Statistically, I wager that people whom are more engaged in the community are, in fact, more successful.

So, bottom line - engagement drives success. Community support drives success. Helping others drives success. It's not exclusive to vaping - it's a life lesson. Plugging yourself into a diverse community of well intentioned people... priceless. Weigh the difference in support you get here vs the kind of support someone gets when they stumble into a gas station for a cig-a-like and ask yourself... why do I succeed and when that person fails. I suggest - it has much less to do with the concentration of nicotine, the amount of vapor produced, or even the throat it... it has everything to do with the fact that if you feel like you are going to lapse, you have someone to talk with... someone who can identify... someone who is willing to say "You'd don't want to reset that counter, do you?"

Last edited:

taki1203

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2013
NorCal

While I agree with almost all of your post, the bold part I have to disagree with :D

rodoman1916

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2014
saint louis
While I agree with almost all of your post, the bold part I have to disagree with :D

Ha!!! Touche... and fine point.

I should have said... "When I first started and before I discovered NT"....one simple affordable device. (i.e. starter tank, tiny ego, 15ml bottle)

That's before I fell down the rabbit hole....

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
I wore a patch while chewing the gum and trying to "smoke" an all-white drinking straw cut the length of a cigarette.

but it didn't work.. any of the times I tried. (insert definition of insanity here)

vaping works for me. it is not a one-size-fits-all thing, which is one of the best things about it. great post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread