Nicotine Worry ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

krish80

Sep 23, 2012
Qatar
If your worry is solely your BP, then I would take regular BP readings, write them down include time of day. Did you take regular readings during smoking? I mean did you take morning reading, after-a-cig reading, before a cig reading? THEN you would have something to compare it to.

You need to know what your BP "is" generally at certain times a day, after taking BP meds, before etc., **before** you can "know" if vaping will affect your BP. This "method" will be much more accurate for *you* than finding out how much nic in a cigarette, how much nic in a ml of your juice, how much juice you go thru etc.

Hope that helps.

I haven't had methodical readings before and after an ecig etc etc, but my BP is on the higher side with ciggis and eciggis too.

krish80

Sep 23, 2012
Qatar
OP is correct on the numbers. 12 Mg means 12mg per ml. A full strength cig is quoted to be 10 Mg nic absobed if you smoke the whole thing. Numbers I've seen on vapor are that you might absorb 40 or 50% of what's in the liquid.

Phew!! Thanks for saying that, I was wondering whats wrong with my calculations when a couple of other people mentioned otherwise!

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I believe the 12mg is PER BOTTLE - not per "fill" or "fills" of your vape 'tool'. If the bottle is 10ml and you use 4ml per day you would not get 10mg per day. Now obviously I am NEW as well, but I believe you MIGHT GET 1.2mg per 1ml (if a 10ml bottle) or 4.8mg per day using 4mg of 'juice'.

The 'pros' will correct me if I am wrong:oops: and I'll appreciate the 'education'; I'm just going with 'math' and lord knows I have been wrong before when diddling the numbers.

10ml at 12mg per = 1.2mg per ONE ml x FOURml = 4.8mg per day. Roughly TEN Analog (the real deal) CiggieButts a day or 5mg if you smoked HALF a pack per day. You indicate you smoked the FULL PACK so you were getting 10mg per day - roughly TWICE what you might get now IF my "math skills" are correct.:blink:

Wondering if I have calculated correctly and appreciate knowing if I am wrong. Call Vegas for the latest odds!:)

Senile Old Don
New Mexico
Hey All, I have a quick query regarding nicotine liquid.

When I used to smoke cigarettes, I would generally have a pack a day - 20 x 0.5 mg nicotine - 10 mg a day

Now, I vape - a LOT actually - about 4 ml a day - 12 mg strength - so thats about 48 mg a day

Isn't this kinda bad for your heart and blood pressure? (I am predisposed to high blood pressure due to my family, weight, eating habits etc etc.)

Or is nicotine absorption in vapor lower than what I am assuming?

thanks y'all

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
And it seems as if I received bad info from my local E-Cig Shoppe! They told me when I started that the real-deal cigarettes I was smoking had 1.8mg per cigarette. I smoked 1/2 ppd and thus in theory received 18mg per day. Thus, I could use their 18mg PER BOTTLE (10ml) or 18 per-cent as they referred to it and still be way under what I was receiving. This is where I formed my apparently INCORRECT understanding.

It then appears that a 10ml bottle they refer to as "18%" nicotine based on your noted 18 mg nicotine per ml of VG/PG is 180mg of nicotine in that 10ml bottle??? Am I understanding this correctly? That seems ungodly high - toxic in fact. It seems too high - but I'm taking your word for now. This means I could be consuming 90mg of nicotine per day?? Crap I hope not! I hope I am still misunderstanding this subject! :blink:

From Senility Central - DON
New Mexico

I have NEVER seen an e-Liquid's Nicotine measured per Bottle.

In Fact, I have NEVER seen Nicotine measured in Anything other than Milligrams per Milliliter.

Last edited:

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Then I read this and it looks like I WAS really confused - THANKS TO MY LOCAL E-CIG SHOPPE! What my local shoppe should have said was 18 MILLIGRAMS or 1.8 PERCENT - not 18 PERCENT! Yes???

New Mexico

FROM E Cigarette Liquid | Electronic Cigarette Liquid | About Totally Wicked E Cig Liquid
E-Liquid Strength

"The strength of e-liquid is essentially how much nicotine the fluid contains in a set volume of e-liquid. We use a basic measure of milli-gram of nicotine per milli-litre of total fluid volume (mg/ml).
This is how the solutions we currently offer denote the amount of nicotine they contain. This notation was defined to compare directly e-liquid to conventional cigarettes. For example, if a cigarette package states that there is 1.8mg of nicotine in the product, it means that each cigarette contains 1.8mg of nicotine. Therefore in a pack of 20 cigarettes there is a total of 36mg of nicotine. In comparison, an e-liquid of 18mg/ml strength denotes that there is 18mg of nicotine in each milli-litre of fluid. Therefore if you were to ‘vape’ 1ml of this fluid then it would contain the same amount of nicotine as in 10 1.8mg conventional cigarettes. More experienced users are now often referring to the percentage of nicotine in the solution. For example, each 1mg/ml of e-liquid contains by volume 0.1% nicotine i.e. 99.9 parts are diluent and flavoring mixture and only 0.1 parts of the fluid is nicotine. Using this notation, an 18mg/ml e-liquid contains 1.8% nicotine."

Last edited:

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
All I have to go on was how I felt when I went tobacco free.

I dipped Copenhagen and smoked for 34 years. I would wake up to 3 smokes then put a dip in. I would spit the dip out 30 minutes later and smoke, I did this over and over again all day. Sometimes smoking while dipping....

I vape 24 mg per mil now pretty much all day. The first few weeks I was pretty much in nic withdraw all day, now it's about keeping up with my addiction. Maybe in a month I will cut nic level. I do not feel a need to worry about nic level, listen to your body it will tell you when enough is enough.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
And it seems as if I received bad info from my local E-Cig Shoppe! They told me when I started that the real-deal cigarettes I was smoking had 1.8mg per cigarette. I smoked 1/2 ppd and thus in theory received 18mg per day. Thus, I could use their 18mg PER BOTTLE (10ml) or 18 per-cent as they referred to it and still be way under what I was receiving. This is where I formed my apparently INCORRECT understanding.

It then appears that a 10ml bottle they refer to as "18%" nicotine based on your noted 18 mg nicotine per ml of VG/PG is 180mg of nicotine in that 10ml bottle??? Am I understanding this correctly? That seems ungodly high - toxic in fact. It seems too high - but I'm taking your word for now. This means I could be consuming 90mg of nicotine per day?? Crap I hope not! I hope I am still misunderstanding this subject! :blink:

New Mexico

Unfortunately the absorption rate of nicotine via vaping is sorely lacking in regards to studies but...
"A PAD equivalent vaper would be using approx. 2ml of 24mg liquid to obtain approx. 28mg of absorbed nicotine, so an efficiency of about 60%.
A 1.5 PAD equivalent vaper would use approx. 3ml of 24mg (or 4ml of 18mg) liquid to obtain approx. 42mg of nicotine, with the same efficiency."

Thus, I could use their 18mg PER BOTTLE (10ml) or 18 per-cent as they referred to it and still be way under what I was receiving. This is where I formed my apparently INCORRECT understanding.
An 18 mg bottle of juice would be 1.8% nicotine.

It then appears that a 10ml bottle they refer to as "18%" nicotine based on your noted 18 mg nicotine per ml of VG/PG is 180mg of nicotine in that 10ml bottle??? Am I understanding this correctly? That seems ungodly high - toxic in fact. It seems too high - but I'm taking your word for now. This means I could be consuming 90mg of nicotine per day?? Crap I hope not! I hope I am still misunderstanding this subject!
The shop is wrong. 18% would be above even the highest DIY juice that can be purchased by the public and would equate to 180 mg. 100 mg (10%) is the highest DIY juice we can buy and must be diluted down. The very highest Vendor made/ vape ready juice I've ever seen is 48 mg/ 4.8% but is almost impossible to find unless you visit some Chinese based Vendors...easy enough to find 36 mg/ 3.6% Vendor made/ ready to vape juice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Go back and re-read post #18

Say you are Consuming 90mg a Day. But your Body is only absorbing 20% of what you are Consuming. How much nicotine would you Actually be using?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Then I read this and it looks like I WAS really confused - THANKS TO MY LOCAL E-CIG SHOPPE! What my local shoppe should have said was 18 MILLIGRAMS or 1.8 PERCENT - not 18 PERCENT! Yes???

Do not Feel Bad.

You are Not the 1st person to be Confused by all this.

And you are not the 1st to learn that just because someone works in a Vape Shop, that it Doesn't Mean they can't give you Confusing, or in some cases, Wrong Information.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not sure if this will help. Or make it worse.

But JSYK where the Percentage thing comes from...

Completely Pure Nicotine is 1001 Milligrams per 1 Milliliter. So 100% Nicotine = 1001mg We round off 1001mg to 1000mg to make the Math Simpler.

Hence:

100% Nicotine = 1000mg/ml
10% Nicotine = 100mg/ml
1% Nicotine = 10mg/ml
X% Nicotine = (x * 10)mg/ml

and...

1000mg/ml = 100%
100mg/ml = 10%
10mg/ml = 1%
Xmg/ml = (X/10)%

WendyMurphy

Nov 12, 2013
USA
I bet you had a big sigh of relief when you realized your calculations were off tenfold. The 4.8 mg of nicotine you are getting is a lot less than you did from your cigarettes and a whole lot less than I get from a cigar.

The advantage to the e-cig is you can adjust the nicotine levels down over time, which is tough on cigarettes. You can keep the same taste while dialing down the nicotine to a low-level or even down to zero.

I still smoke a few cigars along with vaping, but I can tell you without a doubt that even your 4.8 mg of nicotine gives me a lot more buzz than an hour-long smoke on a good cigar. The difference is I inhale a little while vaping, but just puff a cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread