Nicotine Worry ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

krish80

Sep 23, 2012
Qatar
Hey All, I have a quick query regarding nicotine liquid.

When I used to smoke cigarettes, I would generally have a pack a day - 20 x 0.5 mg nicotine - 10 mg a day

Now, I vape - a LOT actually - about 4 ml a day - 12 mg strength - so thats about 48 mg a day

Isn't this kinda bad for your heart and blood pressure? (I am predisposed to high blood pressure due to my family, weight, eating habits etc etc.)

Or is nicotine absorption in vapor lower than what I am assuming?

thanks y'all

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
little problem with your numbers there :

nic level for a cig is only correct if you smoke the whole dam ciggy,meaning not holding it in your hand and letting it burn

not all of the nic in vape juice is absorbed into the body either ,,

this is one of those things you have to watch yourself,,if ya start getting dizzy or feeling a little weird you are hitting it too much

frozenhill

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Amman,jordon
little problem with your numbers there :

nic level for a cig is only correct if you smoke the whole dam ciggy,meaning not holding it in your hand and letting it burn

not all of the nic in vape juice is absorbed into the body either ,,

this is one of those things you have to watch yourself,,if ya start getting dizzy or feeling a little weird you are hitting it too much
i vape arround 6 ml per day , is it too high or have side effect in long term .

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
i vape arround 6 ml per day , is it too high or have side effect in long term .

long term effects are not something we have data for yet... because e-cigs have not been around long enough to determine such data. in like 10 or 20 years we will have some really good data on the long term effects of vaping.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
Smokers 'self titrate'
Vapers 'self titrate' also, that is to say, when you smoked (maybe you still do?) you would have a cigarette and be satisfied, most people wouldn't have a cigarette then have another straight after that, and another, and another-you would make yourself sick.

Vaping-you will more than likely (in the beginning) vape more often than you smoked.

Nicotine absorbtion is much lower from vaping (per drag), and is not as 'sudden' (a nic rush).

If you vape too much-you will feel 'yuck'.

My advice to new converts now, when you smoked you got an urge, a craving, well, wait til you feel that craving then have a vape (6 or so puffs)-then stop, and wait for that 'urge' to return and vape some more-then stop.

What I'm saying is-to keep 'topped up' on nicotine a 'little' can be a lot more satisfying than a lot.
Hope that makes sense.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
This is off the top of my head without research.

Seems to me that the cigarette and vapor nicotine content cannot be compared in that way. 12mg vapor means 1.2% not 12mg per ml as OP calculated. So 4ml a day would not be multiplied by 12mg to get 48mg per day. And ml is quantity of liquid while mg is weight. Does not 1ml of water equal 1 gram?

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
Isn't this kinda bad for your heart and blood pressure? (I am predisposed to high blood pressure due to my family, weight, eating habits etc etc.)

thanks y'all

If your worry is solely your BP, then I would take regular BP readings, write them down include time of day. Did you take regular readings during smoking? I mean did you take morning reading, after-a-cig reading, before a cig reading? THEN you would have something to compare it to.

You need to know what your BP "is" generally at certain times a day, after taking BP meds, before etc., **before** you can "know" if vaping will affect your BP. This "method" will be much more accurate for *you* than finding out how much nic in a cigarette, how much nic in a ml of your juice, how much juice you go thru etc.

Hope that helps.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I wouldn't worry about it. Your body should tell you if you're getting too much. I get dizzy, and a headache. Furthermore, even though I vape 18mg juice all day, a cig makes me dizzy at this point. I got curious and tried one after vaping for a few weeks. Not only was it too gross to finish (yay!), it gave me that dizzy feeling. Your mileage may vary, but as for me, it appears I've been absorbing less nic vaping then I did smoking.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
I wouldn't worry about it. Your body should tell you if you're getting too much. I get dizzy, and a headache.

2 Weeks in and I was Vaping like crazy yesterday more for habit. I had a couple of Dizzy spells and a Headache but I am at a 6500 Foot Elevation now. I thought it was due to the Elevation while walking so thanks for clarifying.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Vaping is not nearly as efficient in getting nicotine into your system as smoking is. You really can't do a comparison between the two. From polls on this and other vaping sites, the average consumption is 3ml - 5ml a day. And I agree with those you state that your body will let you know if you are vaping more than you can handle.

brevity

Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Atlanta

Thanks for the links, I will definitely read up.

What I like is that the nicotine seems to be absorbed slower and more steadily. This leaves me with an even more satisfied feeling than smoking. The best way I can think to describe it is more "even".

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey All, I have a quick query regarding nicotine liquid.

When I used to smoke cigarettes, I would generally have a pack a day - 20 x 0.5 mg nicotine - 10 mg a day

Now, I vape - a LOT actually - about 4 ml a day - 12 mg strength - so thats about 48 mg a day

thanks y'all

There are a couple of Problems with your Numerical Comparisons.

1- Cigarettes Nicotine are measured by what the Average Smokers absorbs into their body when they Smoke 1 Cigarette. Not the amount of Nicotine in 1 Cigarette.

.5mg in your Example would be the amount of Nicotine the Average person absorbs when they smoke 1 Cigarette.

2 - e-Liquids Nicotine is measured by the Total Amount of Nicotine in 1ml of Volume. It has Nothing to do with Absorption.

3 - The Absorption Rate for Nicotine is Different when you Burn Tobacco vs. when you Vaporize an e-Liquid containing Nicotine.

So to make a Comparison of how much Nicotine is being Absorbed into your body you would first need to know what the Absorption Rate is for the Average Vaper.

And that Rate is debatable.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Realize vaping is a very poor delivery system for Nicotine because the vapor particles are too large to be absorbed into the bloodstream via the lungs. Smoked nicotine particles are easily absorbed via the blood stream in the lungs.
Most vaped nicotine is absorbed via the blood vessels in the mouth and nasal areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread