Ni80 vs Kanthal?

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Just put an Ni80 coil in Brunhilda last night, so I don't have an opinion on Ni80 vs Kanthal yet.

I will say, compared to SS316L, Kanthal has a dingy, dirty metallic taste that mutes flavor (to my palette, anyway). If you don't like Ni80, I'd sooner suggest SS316L.
I've used ss316L and nichrome. The straight nichrome coils I make are the culprits to have the bad taste. My wire come from WireOptim.

Now, nichrome clapton pre-rolled, they don't have that metallic taste?

Reactions: Letitia

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
I've used ss316L and nichrome. The straight nichrome coils I make are the culprits to have the bad taste. My wire come from WireOptim.

Now, nichrome clapton pre-rolled, they don't have that metallic taste?
You could try some different Ni80. I have noticed some wire is better than others (e.g. 1 kanthal I have is disgusting, the other is less disgusting but still disagreeable), but you'd think WireOptim would have excellent quality wire.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
You could try some different Ni80. I have noticed some wire is better than others (e.g. 1 kanthal I have is disgusting, the other is less disgusting but still disagreeable), but you'd think WireOptim would have excellent quality wire.
I'm willing to try other types. I've not yet ordered any Kanthal to try it. I would think WireOptim to have quality wire, based on all the recommendations and praise I've read of them.

All you folks are my peers!!

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
I'm willing to try other types. I've not yet ordered any Kanthal to try it. I would think WireOptim to have quality wire, based on all the recommendations and praise I've read of them.

All you folks are my peers!!
A few thoughts for you.

Some people clean their wire before using it. You wouldn't think you'd need to do that but, you might try looking into it all the same.

You could try some TemCo Ni80. I've enjoyed their SS316 and you can get it right from Amzn if you like.

Personally I'd buy some of that sweet flat German(?) ribbon wire that Dan linked in your previous thread in both SS316L and Ni80. Maybe some clapton wire as well. Then just use the 1 you prefer. You could get some kanthal too, but I don't think you'll be happy with it.

:2c:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
A few thoughts for you.

Some people clean their wire before using it. You wouldn't think you'd need to do that but, you might try looking into it all the same.

You could try some TemCo Ni80. I've enjoyed their SS316 and you can get it right from Amzn if you like.

Personally I'd buy some of that sweet flat German(?) ribbon wire that Dan linked in your previous thread in both SS316L and Ni80. Maybe some clapton wire as well. Then just use the 1 you prefer. You could get some kanthal too, but I don't think you'll be happy with it.

:2c:
I never gave washing the wire a thought. I would think the burn-off and brushing to remove anomalies. Thinking about it, maybe I should wash my hands before touching the wire?

I have wire on my list at WireOptim, maybe I'll go with German made and see what happens.

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
I never gave washing the wire a thought. I would think the burn-off and brushing to remove anomalies. Thinking about it, maybe I should wash my hands before touching the wire?

I have wire on my list at WireOptim, maybe I'll go with German made and see what happens.
I would think so too. Some people do clean their wire though. Maybe worth a shot.

I'd definitely recommend washing your hands thoroughly first before building. You don't want even hand oils on wire and for sure not on your cotton; it can make your vape taste bad.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
I would think so too. Some people do clean their wire though. Maybe worth a shot.

I'd definitely recommend washing your hands thoroughly first before building. You don't want even hand oils on wire and for sure not on your cotton; it can make your vape taste bad.
Ugh....all good points...I never even thought about!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe

Temco wire is higher quality wire. I've always ordered SS316L (27g and 26g) directly from them. They ship super quick.

SS316L simple round and Clapton is my preference. 316L delivers a very clean vape, no weird metallic taste.

I've never had any problems with 316L or Ni80 wire from WireOptim.

Personally I'd buy some of that sweet flat German(?) ribbon wire that Dan linked in your previous thread in both SS316L and Ni80.

This site:

I've ordered wire from them several times. Excellent company, quality wire.

kanthal always had a nasty metallic taste for me

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
I've found that Ni80 in general has a metallic taste more often then not. I've searched all over and read this same thought. Some recommend Kanthal.

Those of you who've tried Kanthal, in comparison to Ni80, share your thoughts and experience...if you will please.
AFAIk there are 4 common ones: nichrome, ni80, kanthal, nd the various types of stainless. There are a few less common ones too. Basically anything that gets hot when you put a current through it. Like many i seem to be allergic to nickel, which takes out ni80 and nichrome for me. Kanthal i find decent, but no better than stainless, which is easier to get. Toys can even get fine stainless screen to cut up into mesh coils without much ttrouble. Aside form the ‘ohmigod! My throat is closing’ thing I get with an allergic reaction, i can’t really tell the difference.

and no. This is not license to blow up hot dogs with a couple of nails and a neon transformer. Too many people have already made videos. I only know of one where a guy cooked a chicken by slapping it, but that got played out even faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Real-ist

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
For what it's worth, I finally had some time with the coils that came with the Brunhilde MTL RTA (1 ohm 26ga Ni80 that I cut down to 0.7 ohms). I like it far better than the thick kanthal I had in her, cleaner and richer, though taste is personal preference and all that. Not getting any off flavors or metallic notes with these coils. Did you notice any?

Come to think of it, at the risk of providing (more) unwanted cleaning advice, if your atty has been heavily used, a deep clean might make it taste better. I noticed after ~2 months of daily use I was getting off flavors (including a metallic taste) that persisted after simple rinsings with hot water, but a deep clean did the trick (i.e., full breakdown, everything but steel wires cleaned in water and Dawn, then at minimum spot cleaned w/ grain alcohol).

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
Come to think of it, at the risk of providing (more) unwanted cleaning advice, if your atty has been heavily used, a deep clean might make it taste better. I noticed after ~2 months of daily use I was getting off flavors (including a metallic taste) that persisted after simple rinsings with hot water, but a deep clean did the trick (i.e., full breakdown, everything but steel wires cleaned in water and Dawn, then at minimum spot cleaned w/ grain alcohol).

Good post!!! Atty cleaning advice is important. Proper hygiene. I do know one or two numbskulls who rarely clean their tanks or drip tips. Every morning I clean the drip tips I plan on using for the day.

Whenever I change my RBA rotation I give them a thorough cleaning with hot water and Dawn. I rotate RBA's about every 2 weeks (give or take).

Vinegar also works well for cleaning RBA's, as does using baking soda and warm water.

I use vodka to clean squonk bottles and tubes. It gets rid of any juice flavor that may have leeched into the bottles/tubes. A good overnight soak usually does the trick.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
For what it's worth, I finally had some time with the coils that came with the Brunhilde MTL RTA (1 ohm 26ga Ni80 that I cut down to 0.7 ohms). I like it far better than the thick kanthal I had in her, cleaner and richer, though taste is personal preference and all that. Not getting any off flavors or metallic notes with these coils. Did you notice any?

My step-mother gave me some of that. My room-mate’s mother was more direct. She would clean our house while muttering horrible things about our cleanliness. It wasn’t worth it. To the point I thought it was her at the door and answered it naked. It wasn’t her. I became forever known in that neighborhood as “the nudist”.

Cleanliness does matter with vapes though burnt crud has a flavor.

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
My step-mother gave me some of that. My room-mate’s mother was more direct. She would clean our house while muttering horrible things about our cleanliness. It wasn’t worth it. To the point I thought it was her at the door and answered it naked. It wasn’t her. I became forever known in that neighborhood as “the nudist”.
Answering the door naked could have backfired spectacularly:
Fw6QfgOaMAEfsfa.jpg

Cleanliness does matter with vapes though burnt crud has a flavor.
Absolutely. One might think this would be a blatantly apparent issue that's reserved for slobs or something, but it doesn't take much gunk at all to ruin flavor, and it isn't always obvious, especially if your eyesight isn't great.

In the future all my attys are getting soaped up when it's time to change wicks.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
View attachment 1009025

Absolutely. One might think this would be a blatantly apparent issue that's reserved for slobs or something, but it doesn't take much gunk at all to ruin flavor, and it isn't always obvious, especially if your eyesight isn't great.

In the future all my attys are getting soaped up when it's time to change wicks.
The Brunhildes, I always rinse the deck and dome under HOT water real good. Below that, I leave it alone.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
View attachment 1009025

If only. “Dirty boy” i could have handled. This woman ...... me off so hard i awnsered the door naked. Merely telling her to get out didn’t work and I didn’t want to call the cops.

Reactions: no|ah

Users who are viewing this thread