Newbie questions about Volt model

Status
Not open for further replies.

undone

Aug 26, 2012
Sweden
So, I'm a total newbie who's never even tried vaping. I'm curious to try it though, since I'm already trying to cut down on my smoking.
Anyway, I'm leaning towards buying a Volt and am just looking to get a few things clarified.
From what I can tell, the Volt seems to be a KR808 model. Does that mean I can use cartomizers from any brand as long as they fit the model, or do I have to buy those too from Smokeless Image?
And the same goes for PCCs, do I have to buy one made specifically for the Volt or just anyone matching the KR808 model?
Also, can anyone show/tell me the thickness of the model in comparison to regular tobacco cigarettes? I can only find information on the length, not the width, which to me is equally important.

Looking forward to exploring the vast world of vaping! :)

jswinn

Jul 16, 2012
Illinois
I have been using Volts for almost 2 months now and I love them. I can tell you that their regular batteries are just about the same diameter of a regular cigarette, maybe just slightly wider. ( I smoked super-slim cigarettes, so I can't show you a comparison.) Yes, you can use any cartomizer that has the same threading. However, I really like the Volt cartomizers. I have tried some from other companies, but they just don't seem to work as well. I think this is because the Volt cartomizers are horizontal coil which is different than many others. Also, I haven't found anyplace that can beat their prices. Before you buy, you might want to check out the Smokeless Image forum. If you go to the Forum Suppliers tab at the top of the page and scroll down, you will find a link to it. The people there are VERY friendly and willing to help you with any questions you have. They are much more knowledgable about this than I am.

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Hard to actually show you the size of the Volt battery without you actually holding it in hand and judging for yourself. Go with the volt if that is what you're looking for. One of the best out there for what it is. You can always get 510/808 adapter for like $3 that will allow you to use 510 cartomizers with that battery. For now...

proudlion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Winter Haven, FL
Welcome undone - you just cannot go wrong with the Volt 808d-1 from SmokelessImage. I concur with the information provided by jswinn and TBinAZ.

Perhaps this image can assist you:

volt_sizechart_final_9.jpg

Marcella

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The volt batteries are nice and very reliable, I own 7 of them and have also bought 3 more for friends. May I suggest the 78mm size, the battery will last a bit longer for you than the shorter ones.

Their cartomizers are very good too, although I prefer to get the blanks and fill with my own choice of e-liquids.

The volt batteries also work very well with cartomizers purchased from "Bloog" (Bloogplanet).

The volt size is very similar to a real ciggie but they are a little bit heavier. Hope this helps! :)

undone

Aug 26, 2012
Sweden
Wow, thank you for your replies! And so quickly too, in Sweden it's the middle of the night, so I kind of didn't expect answers until tomorrow. :p

From your answers it seems like the Volt is about as close as I can get to a regular cigarette, so that's perfect. 9.3 mm sounds a bit wider than what I'm used to, but I guess it takes some getting used to vaping overall so the awkwardness of the size will probably fade with experience.
I was thinking of getting both an automatic battery and a manual one, so I can test the pros and cons for myself. And that way I can get both 65 mm and 78.

I've been smoking off and on for about 5 years, but it's escalated alot during the last year. Now I smoke about 10-15 cigarettes a day. I don't expect to be able to quit cigarettes from day one of vaping, but anything to help me cut down is worth a shot.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Don't put pressure on yourself. Give it an honest shot. Once you try it, most people realize that it's going to be possible to quit smoking by vaping. A very informal poll here found that around 83% of the people that participated quit smoking.

Best of luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I would definitely recommend the longer pv and manual batteries. With manual batteries, you control the inhale.

Unless most of your smoking is public smoking, most people forget about size and aesthetics. The whole point is to duplicate the sensation of smoking.

Last edited:

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
An ecig that is closer to the size of a regular cig is the Joyetech 510. They are 9.15 mm in diameter. You can get those in either manual or automatic. So, you can get closer to the size you are use to, but smaller batteries mean you will have to charge them more frequently. Then there is the Volcano ecig that is only 8.5 mm in diameter.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi, and welcome. If you do get the Volt then I recommend getting an auto and a manual, as you were saying. I did that when I first ordered to try them out. I still use both kinds, but have come to prefer the manual. The auto are sealed so the odd juice drop won't fry them. Also, if after a while you feel like getting something a lot bigger the Volt X2 is good - I use the 900 mah X2s. You can still use your Volt stuff with them, but they are also Ego threaded, so you can use Ego stuff. My 900 mah X2s last around 7-8 hours of actual vaping. Volts were the third ecigs I tried (well actually the fourth now that I think about) and have been the best by far.
I was a 40-50 a day smoker and these pvs have done me well.

undone

Aug 26, 2012
Sweden
Then there is the Volcano ecig that is only 8.5 mm in diameter.

One with 8.5 mm in diameter would be nice, since my cigarettes are about 8 mm. But then I'd have to buy cartomizers of that brand only, right? Or are there other brands selling cartomizers that thin as well? Or could I fill them with the liquid of my choice?
If not, I guess being able to try alot of different flavours might be worth a slighly thicker e-cig.

I actually bought a disposable ecig today, just to try it. It was kind of crappy and didn't taste much or produce much vapor, but I guess that's a downside of disposables. Anyway, that one was between 9 and 10 mm, and the difference of just 1-1½ mm is bigger than I thought. It kind of felt like I was sucking on a ballpoint pen, because of the size. But as I said, I guess you get used to it after a while.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
An ecig that is closer to the size of a regular cig is the Joyetech 510. They are 9.15 mm in diameter. You can get those in either manual or automatic. So, you can get closer to the size you are use to, but smaller batteries mean you will have to charge them more frequently. Then there is the Volcano ecig that is only 8.5 mm in diameter.

There are many similar 808’s but the thing that leads to so many of us to recommend the Volt is that the Volt batteries are sealed so that a couple of drops won’t destroy them and they are regulated to 3.6 volts to provide a constant vape. Most other 808 cig style batteries are not voltage regulated and start off strong, but power diminishes after a few puffs. While they may look the same, there are real differences.

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
One with 8.5 mm in diameter would be nice, since my cigarettes are about 8 mm. But then I'd have to buy cartomizers of that brand only, right? Or are there other brands selling cartomizers that thin as well? Or could I fill them with the liquid of my choice?
If not, I guess being able to try alot of different flavours might be worth a slighly thicker e-cig.

I actually bought a disposable ecig today, just to try it. It was kind of crappy and didn't taste much or produce much vapor, but I guess that's a downside of disposables. Anyway, that one was between 9 and 10 mm, and the difference of just 1-1½ mm is bigger than I thought. It kind of felt like I was sucking on a ballpoint pen, because of the size. But as I said, I guess you get used to it after a while.

The Volcano is for a light smoker, maybe half pack a day. But you can get it with a PCC, personal charging case that looks like a pack of cigs, so you can carry it with you as you would a pack of cigs and keep batteries charged. But, they have 510 threading for the carto so any 510 threaded carto will work with it. So, you don't have to use just Volcano cartomizers with it. And you can refill the cartomizers so you don't have to buy a new pack when they are empty. I believe in EU/UK the ROK brand is the same as Volcano.

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
There are many similar 808’s but the thing that leads to so many of us to recommend the Volt is that the Volt batteries are sealed so that a couple of drops won’t destroy them and they are regulated to 3.6 volts to provide a constant vape. Most other 808 cig style batteries are not voltage regulated and start off strong, but power diminishes after a few puffs. While they may look the same, there are real differences.

Well, I am just trying to give this poster options since they seem to want something as close as possible to the diameter of a real cig. I am not into "brand pushing". The Volt is a good ecig, but they are not unique and there are many regulated KR808D-1 ecigs available, but this person wants something as close as possible to the size of a real cig.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I agree and though I don't own a Volt a friend does and has converted 5 co workers to the Volt and all are VERY happy. Coupled with Smokeless Image customer service, the 15% discount and the freebie on their ECF Forum it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I agree and even though I don't own a Volt a friend does and has converted 5 co workers to the Volt and all are VERY happy. Coupled with Smokeless Image customer service, the 15% discount and the freebie on their ECF Forum it's a no brainer.

I have the Volt and I am very happy with the customer service and the product. The on line store is easy to use and not confusing. I did get the 78mm batteries and the PCC so that I could have one battery charging while I am using the other battery even when I am working and don't have a place to charge a battery. The 78mm batteries are great but since I am a heavy smoker, I did eventually buy the larger x2 batteries and I can still use my 808 cartos with it. I can also use my 808 clearos with the big or small battery. For lighter smokers the 78mm are fantastic. I love how they look like a cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread