New Vaper (old pipe, cigar, dipper)

doompoodle72

Mar 23, 2024
Hello,

My family moved into a townhouse last week with very small, side-by-side patios. I have been a pipe smoker for about 15 years, and was up to about 2-4 strong bowls of tobacco a day. I also dip a couple times a day. I have decided to vape so that I don't bother my new neighbors. My wife is very happy with this decision, as she hated the smell of pipe and cigar smoke!

I also have some mysterious (and not so mysterious) health problems, one of which is a post-exertional immune overreaction (or something along those lines) and cognitive dysfunction. I have found nicotine to be helpful with these symptoms, and so far, my experimenting with vaping has been promising in this regard.

I hope to gain a lot of info here as I want to continue to vape (and smoke an occasional cigar or pipe when possible), but don't want to ever feel as addicted to vaping as I did to cigarettes 25 years ago!

Cheers!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Welcome!

Indeed, nic actually is useful to deal with a variety of issues. Maybe one of the reasons so many "self-medicate" with cigs and such. Vaping is at least 95% less harmful.

Many, after vaping for a while, gradually reduce the nic level to zero. Imo most of the claimed addiction to nic is actually addiction to all the other alkyloids in combust tobacco. None of those in vape :)

doompoodle72

Mar 23, 2024
That's very considerate of you, I wish my neighbor would do the same.

What hardware and juice are ya vapin?
I bought an inexpensive unit for my first go round. It's a small Vaporesso. I can't remember the model name. My first e-Liquid has been Vital, smooth tobacco flavor, 6 mg/ml. Cheers.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, doompoodle72. For most of the past almost 10 years I have been vapin up to a ml a day of a DIYed 25 mg/ml nic level eliq. I have no idea how that compares to the nic level I had during my 30+ year smoking stint, but I have found that I can still get nicotine sans the TAR to be beneficial to me.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I bought an inexpensive unit for my first go round. It's a small Vaporesso. I can't remember the model name. My first e-Liquid has been Vital, smooth tobacco flavor, 6 mg/ml. Cheers.
    You may move away from tobacco flavors over time. I did. There are some terrible ones though. In general dessert type stuff is better and the re are a few fruits you want to be careful with like cherry. Some cherry favors are really good, and some are NOT. Also “natural” is basically bunk. “Natural” just Means naturally sourced. So some rare Amazon tree bark rather than coal-tar to make something taste like something. The actual chemical is identical.
    You literally can’t generally source a flavoring from the original item. If you took an apple and broke it down to its constituent chemicals and put them in the same ratios you would have…well… an apple. They just don’t fit very well in vapes. If, however you found,say, 10 chemicals (out of probably several thousand) found IN apples that together taste “applish” that would be a lot smaller. And more useable as a flavoring. I actually avoid “natural” flavorings whenever possible myself. Tutti fruity was one of the first artificial flavorings. They didn’t have very good chemistry back then but they managed to find some chemicals that tend to be common to fruits, and put them in. So tutti fruity is “fruity” but isn’t a specific fruit. Theres a YouTube about a guy making grape soda out of rubber gloves for example. What are such things made from? Coal tar of course. 99% of every color you’ve ever seen was originally coal tar. They do a lot with soy beans now too. 6 of one a half dozen of the other though

Re: the pipe.
    Pipes are more fiddly than cigarettes. Generally people that smoke pipes like fiddly. The biggest issue with rebuildables (RTAs & RDAs) is they’re more fiddly. Lots cheaper in the long run, but more fiddly. You may like them.

Last edited:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    Hello,

My family moved into a townhouse last week with very small, side-by-side patios. I have been a pipe smoker for about 15 years, and was up to about 2-4 strong bowls of tobacco a day. I also dip a couple times a day. I have decided to vape so that I don't bother my new neighbors. My wife is very happy with this decision, as she hated the smell of pipe and cigar smoke!

I also have some mysterious (and not so mysterious) health problems, one of which is a post-exertional immune overreaction (or something along those lines) and cognitive dysfunction. I have found nicotine to be helpful with these symptoms, and so far, my experimenting with vaping has been promising in this regard.

I hope to gain a lot of info here as I want to continue to vape (and smoke an occasional cigar or pipe when possible), but don't want to ever feel as addicted to vaping as I did to cigarettes 25 years ago!

Cheers!
    Welcome to ECF. I wish you well in your journey.

Here lies a great bunch of members, with decades of useful reading materials and plenty of knowledge.

See you in the forums!!

JaxonWalsh

Moved On
    Mar 13, 2024
    • Deleted by Misty

doompoodle72

Mar 23, 2024
    Congratulations on your move! It's great to hear that you're making a considerate choice to switch to vaping to avoid bothering your new neighbors with smoke. Plus, it sounds like it's a win-win situation since your wife isn't a fan of the pipe and cigar smoke either. Wishing you all the best in settling into your new townhouse!
    Thank you for the kind words!

• Love
    Reactions: JaxonWalsh

Users who are viewing this thread