New Illinois law bans e-cigarette use in public places beginning Jan. 1

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
According to the EPA, vaping emits secondhand smoke, which research shows can be harmful as substances in e-cigarettes and vape pens are similar to secondhand tobacco cigarette smoke.
And following the link to the EPA's site:
Research indicates that e-cigarettes may emit harmful substances, which means there could be health risks to the user and others through secondhand exposure.
"Could be". In other words, we have no real evidence that there is.

Some of the harmful substances emitted in secondhand e-cigarette aerosols are similar to those in secondhand tobacco smoke. However, more research is needed to fully understand emissions from e-cigarettes and their impact on human health.
"More research is needed." But let's ban it anyway.

<SMH>

dog man

Oct 4, 2023
Western NC
In 2010 I wanted to open up a Vape Shop in a small town in Illinois. The State Legislators were close to outlawing the sales of Vape, E-cigs and the likes. After sitting down with my State Rep, He assured me it would be a hard thing to get approved but told me it wasn't a 100% possibility that it wouldn't happen.
The handwriting was on the wall. Anything that went against Big Pharma was going to be an uphill battle. They were buying out the Politicians and everyone else who would get in their way.
I finally just gave up on the idea.
Add to that, the 2008 crash was still effecting the State and my area especially.
It hurt us financially BIG TIME, But theres more. My Prop Taxes and fuel at $4.25 a gal as well as everything else going up drove me out of the State.
So now, I'm in Western NC. Prop taxes are 1/10th for double the land/house. Gas was $3.10 a gal at that time and the general cost of living was down 40ish %.
Good Riddance Illinois!

dog man

Oct 4, 2023
Western NC
Bomb.
I lived there...Illinois. What happened is they shut down smoking in ALL restaurants, so what did I and My Friends do? We drove 15 miles north to Wisconsin and enjoyed a good smoke with our meal as always. I'm not advocating smoking but what I will say is a restaurant with a good ionizer would knock the smoke out of the air to the point those sitting across from you never could even smell it... BUT... That wasn't an option to enforce particulates which can be tested with a hand held meter.
The restaurants suffered greatly since the waitresses knew their best tippers were smokers and those who sat around for a long time.
Then they later tried to eliminate vape. As stated in an above post, it nixed me from even considering starting a retail sales outlet.
All said and done I escaped the clutches of that damned state.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Bomb.
I lived there...Illinois. What happened is they shut down smoking in ALL restaurants, so what did I and My Friends do? We drove 15 miles north to Wisconsin and enjoyed a good smoke with our meal as always. I'm not advocating smoking but what I will say is a restaurant with a good ionizer would knock the smoke out of the air to the point those sitting across from you never could even smell it... BUT... That wasn't an option to enforce particulates which can be tested with a hand held meter.
The restaurants suffered greatly since the waitresses knew their best tippers were smokers and those who sat around for a long time.
Then they later tried to eliminate vape. As stated in an above post, it nixed me from even considering starting a retail sales outlet.
All said and done I escaped the clutches of that damned state.
I’m in Minnesota, where e-cigs are a “tobacco product” and everything that applies to cigarettes applies to e-cigs. Including stupidity like” 25 feet from any public thoroughfare or doorway”. This is one the cigarette manufacturers fought hard for because winter is cold, and if you’re going to make someone stand out in the cold if it was just cigarette smokers people would vape just for warmth. Step two would me to attempt to make it WORSE for vapers than cigarette smokers. Seems they haven’t completed step one in Illinois like they did in Minnesota.

Reactions: no|ah

dog man

Oct 4, 2023
Western NC
Yeah, Illinois had the same stupidity about standing away from a doorway X feet when smoking and it extended to other extremes as well.. I can't speak for Vape since it's been ten+ years since I left..
I never smoked or vaped around those who are non-#####'s just out of respect. That said IF they started a verbal attack even when away from me, I will light into them.
I had a 400lbish+ woman in a Restaurant parking lot ..... about how this stuff was bad for me and her...she was very offended, I lit into Her. "Woman, Lose 300 lbs and eat the salad before discussing health issues with me!"" Of course that ended to conversation and she went into the restaurant in a huff.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    "Woman, Lose 300 lbs and eat the salad before discussing health issues with me!" Of course that ended to conversation and she went into the restaurant in a huff.
    Probably a BIG huff too..

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Yeah, Illinois had the same stupidity about standing away from a doorway X feet when smoking and it extended to other extremes as well.. I can't speak for Vape since it's been ten+ years since I left..
    I never smoked or vaped around those who are non-#####'s just out of respect. That said IF they started a verbal attack even when away from me, I will light into them.
    I had a 400lbish+ woman in a Restaurant parking lot ..... about how this stuff was bad for me and her...she was very offended, I lit into Her. "Woman, Lose 300 lbs and eat the salad before discussing health issues with me!"" Of course that ended to conversation and she went into the restaurant in a huff.
    I read I think here about a guy who was vaping and actually got handed a cigarette by a stranger because the idiot who did it thought it was safer because he’d been marketed at by people who are using money to do it the cigarette companies paid aa a PUNISHMENT rather than to help them sell cigarettes. Which they were doing.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Rofl. Chef’s kiss for appropriate commentary.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Lots of misinformation out there, eh?
    Lot of idiocy on the part of the General Public as well,
    It's a degradation of morals, literacy, critical thinking and bad schools.
    And as always "Follow the Money!

May GOD Help Us set things right.
    This feels as much a religious statement to me as an ecig one, and therefore any response I would give to it would be religious in nature and thus more appropriate for DM than the regular thread here. Suffice it to say I am a theist, but perhaps not the kind you may be assuming. Thus I agree in general but perhaps not in specific.

dog man

Oct 4, 2023
    Western NC
    Well, that's your choice and I could care less about Your religious (or anti) affiliation.
    The point I'm making is there has been a morality disconnect as well as other issues that are effecting not only the e-cig market but many other aspects in our lives.
    They are culminating in a greed mode as well as a control mindset, add to that a lack of morality. All three, wether religious or not are severe problems in this Country (e-cig movement) and in this case behind the scenes in Drug Co's, Politicians, and general control freak Org's.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Well, that's your choice and I could care less about Your religious (or anti) affiliation.
    The point I'm making is there has been a morality disconnect as well as other issues that are effecting not only the e-cig market but many other aspects in our lives.
    They are culminating in a greed mode as well as a control mindset, add to that a lack of morality. All three, wether religious or not are severe problems in this Country (e-cig movement) and in this case behind the scenes in Drug Co's, Politicians, and general control freak Org's.
    That’s the bit I agreed with. I Don’t know what is meant by drug co., or control freak orgs. There are drug companies that are also anti-e-cigarette as they can be more effective for quitting smoking than their own products. More often than not they try to avoid killing prople (though historically there have been exceptions. There’s even a recent movie about that) whereas the cigarette manufacturers historically haven’t. (There are movies about that too)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread