My wife may want to strangle me.... But.... Considering a Provari over eVic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Been vaping since 2009/2010, started on the 510... Moved to ego and clearos. Got an evic last summer and liked it a lot.
Now I just got into RBA/RDA a few months back, and "had" to get a mech. Liked the "instant" hit, where the eVic feels like the heat ramps up. Hate how the mech hit changes as battery fades. A kick in the mech helps regulate that, but to me, it feels even laggier than the eVic.

So now I decide to try the Kool-Ade and start looking at Provari. Looks very solid, and reliable like a mech. Also looks a bit shorter-even with 18650 tube. My questions are:
1. when set at say 4.1-4.2v, is the hit instant like a mech, or will it feel "laggy" like the evic or a kick?

2.When upgraded versions come out, can these be upgraded?

3. Can the 510 threads be user-replaced if they strip like the evic is prone to do?

4. To me, the evic was worth the cost over other VV devices, however is the Provari really worth it?

5. If I'm browsing, and considering it, is there really any chance of me NOT pulling the trigger on one?

As more background, my rebuilds are generally in the 2.0ohm range (less for dual coil). I never sub-ohm. I keep my output voltage between 3.3-4.2 v (I find a sweet spot for juice/coil within the parameters of the standard voltages of the batteries) I don't download my stats to my computer. I'm not 18 anymore, so not out to impress anyone with room filling clouds. I vape whenever driving, and it keeps me from cigarettes.

Any input would be appreciated. Especially from anyone who has or had both the eVic and Provari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrOcelot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2013
New Glarus,WI,USA
1. almost instant and very thick and smooth? hard to explain
2. not known they did from v1 to v2 we will see
3. the threads are super strong, but they can be replaced by provape if they strip, very unlikely to strip
4. it is very worth it. they hit well are dependable and durable as heck! they also hold a high resale value whenever you want to get rid of it if ever
5. only you can answer that!

i am very similar to your vaping style. i build 1.8 ohms on my drippers and love the provari enough i just got a second one for a backup and a secondary device.

sorry i never owned an evic so i cannot answer there, but i can tell you the provari is built way better than the evic.

dash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Colorado
I have an Evic and two ProVari's. My Evic is my "Red-headed step child". It just sits all alone while all the attention goes to the other two. With that being said, I agree with the ramping-up. That is the first thing I noticed when I got my Provari. No gradual climb.
I have never had any issue with the threads on the P. They are as smooth as the day I got them. My Evic on the other hand, has serious thread issues. Everything leans.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I have had mine only a couple of weeks but coming from 2 stripped out Vamos I gotta tell you it is totally worth it! Its not ego threaded so you have to have a adapter but thats no problem. You can send it in for repair on the top cap but those threads are solid steel so they are gonna hold up.

I have heard if there is an upgrade you can send it in and they will upgrade it for 20 dollars. I say go for it. I regretted waiting so long considering the money I spent on Mods that didn't hold up. Now I have a MVP 2 that to me is the closest thing vape wise to the Provari...close but not quite as good but it seems that the threads are better then the Vamo's ...Im considering getting me a VTR but waiting on how the threads hold up for other people.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
Another plus on the Provari, I've never had to pull the positive pin, that thing is in there tight! I've never had a connection problem with anything and the threads look the same as the first day I got it on 12/2012. I have a mini black with green LED, the black is fading a little along the teardrop edges, but holding up great everywhere else, it gives it a nice worn in look and feel.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Well, if you get one and your wife follows through, vape-wise your last minutes on earth will be happy ones.

1. Laggy or not laggy depends more on how you build your coils IMHO, particularly your choice of wire gauge. FWIW I think that when I dry fire my builds, for a given voltage, coils seem to burn brighter and steadier on my Provari.

2. Not sure.

3. Not sure.

4. Haven't had a single second-thought about getting mine.

5. Depends on your impulse control and tolerance for deferred gratification.

Cheers!

-- Glenn

Been vaping since 2009/2010, started on the 510... Moved to ego and clearos. Got an evic last summer and liked it a lot.
Now I just got into RBA/RDA a few months back, and "had" to get a mech. Liked the "instant" hit, where the eVic feels like the heat ramps up. Hate how the mech hit changes as battery fades. A kick in the mech helps regulate that, but to me, it feels even laggier than the eVic.

So now I decide to try the Kool-Ade and start looking at Provari. Looks very solid, and reliable like a mech. Also looks a bit shorter-even with 18650 tube. My questions are:
1. when set at say 4.1-4.2v, is the hit instant like a mech, or will it feel "laggy" like the evic or a kick?

2.When upgraded versions come out, can these be upgraded?

3. Can the 510 threads be user-replaced if they strip like the evic is prone to do?

4. To me, the evic was worth the cost over other VV devices, however is the Provari really worth it?

5. If I'm browsing, and considering it, is there really any chance of me NOT pulling the trigger on one?

As more background, my rebuilds are generally in the 2.0ohm range (less for dual coil). I never sub-ohm. I keep my output voltage between 3.3-4.2 v (I find a sweet spot for juice/coil within the parameters of the standard voltages of the batteries) I don't download my stats to my computer. I'm not 18 anymore, so not out to impress anyone with room filling clouds. I vape whenever driving, and it keeps me from cigarettes.

Any input would be appreciated. Especially from anyone who has or had both the eVic and Provari

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
1. Laggy or not laggy depends more on how you build your coils IMHO, particularly your choice of wire gauge. FWIW I think that when I dry fire my builds, for a given voltage, coils seem to burn brighter and steadier on my Provari.
-- Glenn

I experimented a lot with different gauge Kanthal, and settled on 30 gauge from Temco for this very same reason. All my coils, genis, micro, nano, regular, dual... are made from 30. Sometimes I use either 32 or 28 that I have left over, but end up tearing it up and rebuilding it with 30 shortly after. 32 is too flimsy and high of a resistance for me, and 28 is too lagy. Ofcourse, a lot of people will disagree with me.

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The lag I get now is not my coils. I don't get it with the mech mod, but it is quite noticable with the eVic. Switching to VV mode from VW mode helps a little, and I may be able to program in a flatter curve. But still doesn't get around the flimsy feel of the evic (and now the planted seed of Provari lust)

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The lag I get now is not my coils. I don't get it with the mech mod, but it is quite noticable with the eVic. Switching to VV mode from VW mode helps a little, and I may be able to program in a flatter curve. But still doesn't get around the flimsy feel of the evic (and now the planted seed of Provari lust)

Won't let me edit post. Hit send too soon.

One thing that is kind of a pain though is I recently added to my stock of flat-top 18650 batteries. Would be nice if an adapter was available (like a vape safe fuse may work, but that gives no reverse voltage protection. Putting a diode in series would give the needed protection, however the .7 v drop would be unacceptable).

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I got my wife a zmax and the threads on it were just horrible. I wanted to get her the provari from the get go but she did not want it. She finally got sick of the zmax not firing right and the issues with the threads. I got her a provari and myself a second one. Just because i wanted it not because anything is wrong with my first one. the second one comes in handy when i just dont know which flavor to vape and i dont have to move toppers all over the place. She is now happy i got her the provari and she wishes she had just done that first.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
All I can say is yes mine was totally worth it (I want another ProVari), if you don't sub ohm as you mentioned, the ProVari IS the way to go for sure and once you start looking...game over. It's now not a matter of if you will own one, but rather when.

Also, if you don't mind a minor blemish, ProVape does at times carry blem ones on their website under clearance. The mechanicals are perfect, but the finish may have a minor flaw somewhere.

So, if you do that (or classies) and get a deal, surely your wife can appreciate that. Tell her it's like a shoe sale or clothes sale ;)

Last edited:

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
All I can say is yes mine was totally worth it (I want another ProVari), if you don't sub ohm as you mentioned, the ProVari IS the way to go for sure and once you start looking...game over. It's now not a matter of if you will own one, but rather when.

Also, if you don't mind a minor blemish, ProVape does at times carry blem ones on their website under clearance. The mechanicals are perfect, but the finish may have a minor flaw somewhere.

So, if you do that (or classies) and get a deal, surely your wife can appreciate that. Tell her it's like a shoe sale or clothes sale ;)

I believe you are correct. It is WHEN I get one not If I get one.

The whole process is like when I switched from Droid to iPhone. I see features that are not there, and I see the higher price for lesser features, but I realize , I don't miss the features when it just WORKS.. And is rock solid... I also see the price, and then see people paying the same or more for a mech mod, so I know one is in my near future. Now it's choosing the color/LED color, and if I get the stock extension or aftermarket...and of course budget

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
If you really can't make up your mind, order the eGo adapter from ProVape. It will cost you $7 + shipping.
If that little half inch of (edit: stainless steel) metal doesn't make you want to buy a ProVari, I'll be shocked.
ProVape:
181845d1361824558t-kanger-mt3-provari-img_5470.jpg

181844d1361824556t-kanger-mt3-provari-img_5469.jpg

Generic Chinese:
510_to_eGo_adapter.jpg

Edit: The ProVape adapter pictures are mine. The one on the ProVape site makes it look like a generic knockoff. They really need to update their pictures.

Last edited:

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Well...no fear of a painful strangulation here.

Today presented me with one of those "glass is half empty vs. glass is half full" scenarios.

Driving back from class (finally finishing my degree after a 16 year leave.. Hour drive 1 way to university...oh, and work 40-60 hours on top of it....and have shared custody of a 6 year old and twin 5 year old kids... But I digress)....so I'm on thE road and I take a puff off of my eVic, and nothing. Weird screen lighting up on me. Try it again, and now it's like the voltage was cranked as high as it would go...and went kept firing for a minute (ok, it was probable 3 seconds, but when it happened, it felt longer). I look at screen, and it was like all of the text on left half was overlayed on right half. Screen was like that, but still could use it (felt like it defaulted to lowest voltage now).

I get home, and have to finish up some work, but then try to reset/flash the firmware. Didn't take, but the screen pixelated -looked like a stereo gram image... But then nothing. Resets didn't work, re flashing didn't work. Nothing. So the bad part. My main mod is dead. The bad part. I need to get a replacement on a mod that is only 6 months old. The good part. I do have a Nemesis clone with kick that will get me by for a while until a replacement comes in...

So, tonight, I pulled the trigger on a ProVari. Went with the regular "satin" model. The painted ones look cool, but that will just show wear (was really liking the bronze!). The polished stainless would be another choice, but then I think, $20 extra, and will scratch easily...so I went with the satin, and put that $ on the extended warranty. I did spring for the blue LED option, as well as the 18650 end cap, and a pair of AW 18650s (their price on them is no better or worse than anyone else selling good 18650s. at least I can use the new efest 18650s I bought last week in my mech mod.....or maybe get a flashlight!)

So now the wait begins....but I know it will be worth it! It's like the eVic caught wind of me looking at other regulated mods, got jealous and just gave out.

So do I get the Provarinati secret handshake now, or do I have to wait until I take delivery of it?

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Congrats! Let the waiting begin.

Make sure you study the sacred texts in this thread so you are prepared for its arrival: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/501193-greetings-our-newest-members.html

The biggest thing I know I'll mess up, is the 9 clicks for power down, when the eVic 5 clicks was menu, then one to standby...but then again the switch was so hit-or-miss, I usually had to do 3 or 4 sets of clicks :)

I ordered it about an hour ago....still not here yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread