Status
Not open for further replies.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
So all 'protected' batteries should state right on the battery that they are 'protected'. If not stated, we can assume they are not.
Only if they're li-ion. LiFePO4 and LiMN don't come in protected. (Maybe the iron or manganese does it for those.)

I guess the new motto of this forum should be
When in doubt, throw it out!

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
So all 'protected' batteries should state right on the battery that they are 'protected'. If not stated, we can assume they are not.

In that case, I think I will get rid of the batteries that were sold to me by a mod vendor. They state only 'UltraFire ICR123A 880mAh 3.7v' - nothing about 'protected' on them.

Also have others which state 'Tenergy RCR123A 3.0v Rechargeable Li-ion'. They do not state 'protected' on them either.

I guess it's time to buy new batteries if I'm looking for the safest batteries out there.

However, it does look like there is a disc on the bottom of both sets of these batteries, as though there is a PCB on there.

That is why it is so confusing to the non-battery expert. I read on the forum that protected batteries are the 'safest' to use (yes, yes, I understand that even protected batteries can have accidents). Yet can't seem to get batteries that actually state 'protected' right on the battery. Many don't even state 'rechargeable'.

I think I'll just order the ones Doots suggested. They at least state (in the pic) that they're 'Protection Built-in; Rechargeable' right on the battery.

Thanks, Drozd and Doots, now I have a definitive starting point. The ones I have just may or may not be protected. I'd rather know for sure.

Debbie

Honestly Debbie if it were me and I was gonna replace my CR123 batteries for the safest I could find I would definitely look at the AW protected batteries from someplace like lighthound... the AW protected batteries not only have a PCB in them but they also have a thermal protection disk..(so yet another level of protection).. here's an excerpt explaining them "New Anti-expolsion Vent/PTC Module : the new module provides an added layer of protection against gas built-up in addition to the PTC thermal protection. Unlike regular vents used by most LiIon cells, these new modules will actually stop the action by separating the electrodes inside the battery when the pressure reaches a preset threshold. The vent disc will open and release the gas plus stopping the cell from further chemical reaction. Combined with the PCB electronic protection and two layers of mechanical ( thermal and pressure ) protection, these new protected R123s are the first with these added safey features in place."

That was taken from Here: NEW Hi-current Protected R123s - CPFMarketPlace
from what I think is one of the main dealers of AW batteries (you can order directly from him there too via paypal...but lighthound has them too and I don't know I just feel better buying from an actual store (that has a brick and mortar location too) than through paypal...but that thread explains em and has pictures...

Personally I like the LiMN batteries too because they're safe chemistry and won't explode or burn...but don't have what you would classicly call "protection"... and from what it sounds like you'd just feel more comfortable with that physical protection board in there...

Last edited:

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
Got any suggestions for the 3v batts?

Debbie
These. They don't say protected on them but they supposedly can't explode.

batty.jpg

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
These. They don't say protected on them but they supposedly can't explode.

batty.jpg

That's because they are LiFePo4 batteries...they're "safe" chemistry.. and have a higher max drain rate...form what I've read they don't contain a PCB because they don't need them and supposedly putting a PCB in them would make them less efficient and not work...same as LiMN...And the safest you'll probably find in a 3V battery that size..

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
So at 6v though a 510 (2.2ohms) what's the current draw? and what's the discharge rating on those?

I'm guessing that's about a 2.73 amp draw?
and tenergy lists the max discharge rate for those at < 550 mA?

If I'm figuring correctly here you might want to explain to Debbie (since she's not talking to me any more) how they're safe but there are some things she might need to know...

Last edited:

ChuckDragon

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
That's because they are LiFePo4 batteries...they're "safe" chemistry.. and have a higher max drain rate...form what I've read they don't contain a PCB because they don't need them and supposedly putting a PCB in them would make them less efficient and not work...same as LiMN...And the safest you'll probably find in a 3V battery that size..

These are the batteries I bought for my Big Chuck. I haven't experienced them getting hot or over heating. I will call them atty busters. They come off the charger at anywhere from 4.4v to 4.8v, I have blown $200.00 in atomizers with these. I have always kept them wet and I don't hold the button down for very long, one to two seconds. Maybe I have a bum charger or bad batteries, I'm not sure. I'm back to 3.7v vaping until if figure this out.

Grammie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2009
Virginia, Well Steeped
These are the batteries I bought for my Big Chuck. I haven't experienced them getting hot or over heating. I will call them atty busters. They come off the charger at anywhere from 4.4v to 4.8v, I have blown $200.00 in atomizers with these. I have always kept them wet and I don't hold the button down for very long, one to two seconds. Maybe I have a bum charger or bad batteries, I'm not sure. I'm back to 3.7v vaping until if figure this out.

I have the same batteries, probably the same chargers for them as well. Never blew an atty but I was using the 18350 battery. Now, I just use 2 3.0v and carto's exclusively for the last 3 months!

ChuckDragon

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
I have the same batteries, probably the same chargers for them as well. Never blew an atty but I was using the 18350 battery. Now, I just use 2 3.0v and carto's exclusively for the last 3 months!

Are you using the HV atomizers? I've had many of them just stop working. No popping, nothing. I really enjoyed 6v (or 8.8v) vaping since I bought my big chuck. It had become too expensive for me, so I'm back to 3.7v. I have bought my atomizers from:

Altsmoke (Rob was kind enough to replace 5 of them for me at no charge)
Pure Smoker
Heavy Vapor
Madd Vapes

Where do you buy yours? I had a recommendation from a particular supply who shall remain anonymous:D Great guy and I value his opinion.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA

Are you talking about these batteries?

http://........com/Tenergy-Li-Ion-RCR123A-3-0V-75

• Rechargeable LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V 750mAhBattery
  • Life cycle: 2000 times (Traditional Li-ion: 500 times)
  • Never explode or catch fire
  • 100% Compatible with Disposable CR123A Batteries
  • Working Voltage:3.2V and Peak Voltage: 3.6V
  • Charging cut-off voltage: 3.6V
  • Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.2V
    • Please never overdischarge battery below 2.2V/cell
    • Charge the this battery with LiFePO4 RCR123A smart charger.
  • Capacity: 750 mAh
  • Maximum discharging rate:< 550 mA
  • Maximum charge current: <550 mA
  • Cell's dimension: 17mm Dia. x 34.5mm H.
  • Weight: 0.6 oz (18 grams).

ChuckDragon

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Are you talking about these batteries?

http://........com/Tenergy-Li-Ion-RCR123A-3-0V-75

• Rechargeable LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V 750mAhBattery
  • Life cycle: 2000 times (Traditional Li-ion: 500 times)
  • Never explode or catch fire
  • 100% Compatible with Disposable CR123A Batteries
  • Working Voltage:3.2V and Peak Voltage: 3.6V
  • Charging cut-off voltage: 3.6V
  • Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.2V
    • Please never overdischarge battery below 2.2V/cell
    • Charge the this battery with LiFePO4 RCR123A smart charger.
  • Capacity: 750 mAh
  • Maximum discharging rate:< 550 mA
  • Maximum charge current: <550 mA
  • Cell's dimension: 17mm Dia. x 34.5mm H.
  • Weight: 0.6 oz (18 grams).

These are the ones I have

rcr123a_sm.jpg

ChuckDragon

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
"And I find the two or three "serves you right," "it was your fault" and "I hope you learned your lesson" posts quite disturbing. My gut tells me its some sort of superstitious "If I blame the victim it will never happen to me because I'm much smarter than that" thing done instead of knocking on wood, crossing fingers and throwing salt over the shoulder. I find that attitude unseemly and distasteful."

I wish these words were posted larger so they stand out. I have been a member of this forum since October of last year. Some of my fellow Chuckleheads call me one of the old timers. I carry that badge with honor. I have said it before and I will continue to repeat it until I see some change...THIS IS A FORUM FOR INFORMATION!
None of us are experts in the field of vaping. We share our experiences with one another hopefully to educate. Vaping is rather new to the world when compared to other tools that we have enjoyed for many years. That being said, there is much to learn for all of us as it pertains to vaping. We are learning about batteries, atomizers, e-juice, mods and everything in between. There is a great deal to read and absorb and the ECF has been a great place to educate ourselves. Most of us turned to vaping as a replacement to cigarettes which is a daunting task. When our vaping devices aren't working properly we become a bit stressed because we don't want to fall back to cigarettes. Consequently, most of us (me included) are looking for quick answers to our questions so we can go on business as usual.

BigD had an issue, we all know what it is and why it happened. He was gracious to share that experience with all of us, and for that I am grateful. He probably saved me or someone else from injury. Thanks BigD!

Now on to my real point here. I personally use this forum as a place for information (not necessarily fact) which I will use accordingly. As one of the "Old Timers" here I have been very upset at some of the language used by folks posting here. The Saturday thread has given me many hours of fun and knowledge. We really don't know each other personally, but we treat one another like friends. That is the reason I keep coming back.

I implore all of you to keep a civil tongue. Feelings can get hurt with the slightest use of the wrong word. If you can't maintain yourself and act like an adult and/or friend, than please keep your opinions to yourself. There is no need to bash another member with harsh language. Be nice to one another and remember that we are all in this together.

p.s. Shelby, I know you didn't want to beat a dead horse here, but I think sometimes it needs to be beaten a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread