My atty cleaning method

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruther

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Northern Kentucky
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this method of atty cleaning yet.

Ok, I'll start with what led me to this idea. I'm a homebrewer and one of the worst things about making beer, is cleaning the bottles. The bottles must be very clean, before they can be used again. On the homebrew forum, many of the members used oxy clean, to clean their bottles and swore by it. I was skeptical, but gave it a try anyway. Well, I was was amazed at how well it worked. Before using oxy, I had to use bottle brushes to clean my bottles, but no more.
So when my attys started getting kind of stale tasting, I started looking for ways to clean them. I tried alcohol and that seemed to work, but not as good as I hoped it would and I wouldn't even consider soaking them in coke.
So I got to thinking, maybe oxy would work. I soaked two 510 attys in it last night and dried them out today. I tried dripping with one of them tonight and they are working great. Before I cleaned them, I could hardly taste the flavor of the juice I was vaping, now I can taste nothing but flavor. I'll be using oxy to clean my attys, from now on.

And no, I'm not Billy Mays, resurrected.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
I would have two concerns about using OxyClean.

1. From my experience using it around the house, OxyClean can leave whatever you cleaned with a slimy feel if the concentration is too strong. I would be concerned with any residue left behind inside the atty if the atty isn't rinsed throughly.

2. The atty tends to have a build up of gunk around the heating coil which if not cleaned away could possibly absorb some of the cleaner. I would suggest try cleaning a couple of dead attys first with OxyClean to see how it resolves the gunk issue. If the gunk reminds after a soak then I skip the OxyClean.

pearlheartgtr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
NY
I make mead and also have a still in my shed. To clean bottles, I use One Step which is oxygen based and rinse free. Maybe this will do the trick.

Northern Brewer: One Step
"Contains no chlorine, which can leave a film on glassware and corrode stainless steel. One Step is an excellent oxygen based cleanser. Requires two minutes of contact time, no rinsing required! Environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water."

EvilGnome6

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2011
Chandler, AZ
musicgourmets.com
I'm also a homebrewer and was thinking about trying oxiclean for cleaning atomizers. I have yet to find anything better for removing caked on residue without the need for scrubbing or agitation. Just an overnight soak and it'll get a fermenter completely clean.

bruther: Have you still been using it for cleaning your atomizers? Can you report your results so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread