Who uses Isopropyl Alcohol to clean their Tank Attys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch40

Aug 3, 2010
Florida
Amazon.com (Amazon.com: Original Bogue Systems .. Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner .... Cleans Jewelry + Optics + Eyeglass + Cd + Dvd with Sonic Waves + More: Electronics) Since it was 24.95 with free shipping on orders over 25.00 I also got this. (Amazon.com: Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger: Electronics) I can charge 2 batts at a time with the 2 usb outlets on it. Was only 10.88 and the shipping would have been 7 something . I can use it for other things also so I thought it was a good deal.

Gee, Connie, that looks like a super deal!!! I may have to get one.

Mitch40

Aug 3, 2010
Florida
I do care about the paint finish because that's how I tell my flavors apart - so, I don't like to soak in alcohol because it will quickly remove some colors. It does remove the crud really well. I'm doing a little experiment right now that has probably already been tried but I've never read about it. I have five eGo T-atties that taste fairly awful, so I cleaned out the tanks, filled 'em with 91% ISO, and stuck them back on the attys. They are on a paper towel soaking right now with the mouthpieces up in the air. Even if the alcohol leaks out, it won't kill my paint. I'm thinking that I'll let them soak overnight, empty them out tomorrow, give them time to dry, pitch the tanks, and hope for the best. Anyone ever tried this? :confused:

Yes, that does sound like a great idea. I may have to try that one! Although I doubt you would have to pitch your tank after using it to hold the IPA. I would say let it soak for about a half hour as that 's what I do by just soaking my atty's in it for 30 mins.

vpur

Jun 9, 2011
Alberta Canada
99.9 % ISO can be found in many hydroponic stores. Remember ISO is toxic if inhaled, so if you use make sure it is cleaned out really well. I wouldnt use iso in cartomizers as it is really toxic inhalation.
It works wonders on everything from cleaning windows to degreasing.
I have been thinking of using it on my atties as well. I just am very leary due to its toxicity. I guess I'll stick to my 30% hydrogen peroxide for now.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
HOLY COW - It actually worked!! BIG time!

Here's what I did:
1. I emptied my eGo T-tanks, rinsed out, and filled the tank (not the atty) with 91% isopropyl alcohol
2. Blew the extra gunk out of my attys from the battery end
3. Put the alcohol-filled tanks back into the atomizers
4. Placed the attys on a paper towel (standing upright on the battery end) and let them sit all night
5. In the a.m., I used a syringe to draw the alcohol out of the tank
6. Squirted that alcohol through the hole in the battery end of the atomizer (major brownage came out)
7. Rinsed the attys with several syringes of hot water the same way (through the hole)
8. Rinsed out the tanks with hot water using the syringe (they seem to be okay)
9. Blew out excess water from the attys (from the battery end)
10. Dried out for a few hours in a dehydrater (but you could just let them air dry)
11. Filled as normal

I cleaned five tank attys at the same time, and the results are the same on all. No conceivable chance of damaging the paint finish. No taste of alcohol in the tanks or attys since you rinse after the soak treatment.

I think what this does is give not only the coil and wick a deep cleaning, but also the wick in the needle valve - which is hard to get to. These are vaping clean and flavorful again, but I wouldn't say they're the same as new. The airflow seems a little tighter than new, but the vapor is vastly improved in taste and quantity. YAY!! :vapor:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Rave! Good for you, that could be my new cleaning protocol!! Good job. You can call it the Rave Method of Atty cleaning!!

That just tickles me: I have a cleaning method named after me. (I consider cleaning anything to be a terrible drag to be avoided at all costs and procrastinated to the limit). Anyhow, I hope that it works as well for you folks as it did for me. Please post your results when you get around to trying it.

pkj is right IA works.. I revived 5 poor performing attys with IA and a ultrasonic cleaner.... I used the ultrasonic cleaner about 10 3 min cycles let them dry a day.... BAM attys work again, the ultrasonic cleaner just paid for itself.

and yes all my painted attys are shiny now... all the paint is gone now but who cares.

Last edited:

Mitch40

Aug 3, 2010
Florida
That just tickles me: I have a cleaning method named after me. (I consider cleaning anything to be a terrible drag to be avoided at all costs and procrastinated to the limit). Anyhow, I hope that it works as well for you folks as it did for me. Please post your results when you get around to trying it.

I love it!! The Rave Cleaning Mod. That protocol deserves it's own thread!!!

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
Yes, I use 91% IA to clean atomizers. It works splendidly -- really cuts the grime in no time. I specifically have used it on 510-T tank atomizers. Once they have been cleaned, I just put them in the oven at 170 for an hour. No isopropanol remains and it is clean as new.

For cartomizers and such, I use 50% ethyl alcohol a/k/a 100 proof vodka. That's one of the few benefits of being over 21. I use the 50% ethyl alcohol because the mixture of alcohol and water will dissolve a greater variety of things than either one alone.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Yes, I use 91% IA to clean atomizers. It works splendidly -- really cuts the grime in no time. I specifically have used it on 510-T tank atomizers. Once they have been cleaned, I just put them in the oven at 170 for an hour. No isopropanol remains and it is clean as new.
Personally I don't like to use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and that's not because of its specific smell. I am wondering about the possibility of peroxides forming in that liquid. Some of commercially available IPA contains certain chemicals called peroxide inhibitors. In fact, no-one knows what happens with such inhibitors after IPA evaporates.
For cartomizers and such, I use 50% ethyl alcohol a/k/a 100 proof vodka. That's one of the few benefits of being over 21. I use the 50% ethyl alcohol because the mixture of alcohol and water will dissolve a greater variety of things than either one alone.
And that's one of the best solutions, IMHO. This mixture has one more advantage over IPA - if you mix a bit too much, you may still use the rest directly for cleaning the throat and kill those bad bacteria in your body. ;)

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Personally I don't like to use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and that's not because of its specific smell. I am wondering about the possibility of peroxides forming in that liquid. Some of commercially available IPA contains certain chemicals called peroxide inhibitors. In fact, no-one knows what happens with such inhibitors after IPA evaporates.

Hmmm...food for thought. Thanks for the info.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you

Is there something other than BHT being used? No solution I've seen uses anything but BHT but I've only seen a few dozen. Actually we do know somewhat, we know that BHT is added around a range of generally 250ppm to most IPA solutions, sometimes double that. We know the estimated residual amounts of material, in the current small bottles of 99% IPA I have it's 0.03%. That gives us a rough upper-bound.

We also know BHT is used in foods and cosmetics and the cancer warnings of BHT (and it's replacement BHA) have been greatly exaggerated thusfar. And in terms of relative risk and cost I think most of us do far more dangerous in far more numerous ways.

With that said, most people in this thread don't appear to be using IPAs w/ BHT in them. Most appear to be using stuff at 91% and below at the pharmacy. So they'd be advised to label their bottles open date, buy in small bottles, and toss anything that looks like it might have even the slightest crystal forming.

If money isn't an object, by all means don't use IPA as I stated earlier. But in terms of bang/buck, I've found nothing better at totally eliminating residual taste and gunk. -Magnus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread