Mind is blown at Local B&M prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how everybody's (here on the forum) perception of certain B&M that are located in their area... vaping has slowly spread around in my rural area. I am an online shopper and if it wasn’t for the internet, I wouldn’t have known what vaping was nor would I known about ECF...

I’ve been busy trying to keep on vaping (4 months no smokes) raise the kids/work/pay the bills yada yada yada....you know the deal

Anyway the local store (7 miles from my house, opened early June, 2013....the owner has several stores many miles and places away)
He has a basic selection (new mods, basic clearomizers, basic juices ( the juices has his store name brand, I’m not for sure if his business makes their own juice or he buys e-juice and slap his sticker on it) and I believe (could be wrong) that they don't make their own.

I’m already seeing problems with them... and I’m having problems dealing with my moral compass of the situation.
1. The mods/accessories are marked up way farther than what I have seen on the net.
2. The juices are "basic" and are enough to get by with... Some are Dekang / a few Halo/ and his store name juices and they are high priced there.

Number 3 and this is my dilemma...

I ordered some juice from a reputable online vendor... The mailman has it in my box waiting for me... I went to facebook and I went to the local B&M page and I saw where the owner was stocking his shelves with juice ( from the same company I ordered) for twice the amount. I bought 30 ml of juice from the online vendor and the B&M owner is selling 15ml for the same price...

My jaw just dropped...

I feel sorry for the older customers (that don’t use the internet) and it scares me because the price gouging could possibly give non-knowing & perspective new customers a bad taste in their mouth. Vaping i thought was a safer alternative to smoking... cheaper (with juice) than buying packs or cartons of smokes...

Now my brain is telling me... "this is your reaction as a customer...Try seeing it from a vendor's standpoint..." and I can't!
This is what is seriously considering myself to go into DIY... My friends who I have helped started vaping are telling me "You should start your own store"...

I can understand a store vendor or any business owner trying to make a profit... If I had a store and say I bought/made e-juice for 6 bucks for example... My common sense would say "ok I’ll sell it for 7, maybe 7.50 ..but not 12 bucks... for a 10-12ml bottle
but then again, I’ve never had a business/operated a business...

or maybe I’m just plain stupid?

Sorry for the ranting... but how do you feel about local B&Ms? Do you have a majority of vendors that are nice/considerate of their customers wants and needs?... or do you have local mom/pops stores that want to rape your wallet? If you are a B&M owner, How do you deal with the competition or do you have that evil rival?

From a simple customer...I feel sorry for the older customers (that dont use the internet) and it scares me because the price gouging could possibly give non-knowing & perspective new customers a bad taste in their mouth. Vaping i thought was a safer alternative to smoking... cheaper (with juice) than buying packs or cartons of smokes...

Now my brain is telling me... "this is your reaction as a customer...Try seeing it from a vendor's standpoint..." and I can't!
This is what is seriously considering myself to go into DIY... My friends who I have helped started vaping are telling me "You should start your own store"...

I can understand a store vendor or any business owner trying to make a profit... If I had a store and say i bought/made e-juice for 6 bucks for example... My common sense would say "ok Ill sell it for 7, maybe 7.50 ..but not 12 bucks... for a 10-12ml bottle
but then again, Ive never had a business/operated a business...

or maybe im just plain stupid?:banana:

Sorry for the ranting... but how do you feel about local B&Ms? Do you have a majority of vendors that are nice/considerate of their customers wants and needs?... or do you have local mom/pops stores that want to rape your wallet? If you are a B&M owner, How do you deal with the competition or do you have that evil rival?

From a simple customer...

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
My local B&M sells only High Caliber and they moved their distribution warehouse almost next to theirs, prices are really good comparatively speaking and they have been in the industry for a long time. I think some people just see it as a business (your B&M) but there are those who do it because they love it. That translates into fair pricing and good customer service and busy locations.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Well B&Ms obviously can't be compared to online outlets in terms of the overhead and business considerations. That said if his pricing drives enough people away he will either lower it or go out of business. If it's too high for you, you are not the customer he is after ... and you are doing more or less the right thing by not patronizing him.

I would think that if you are in the "start your own store" category of vaper, you are not the kind that is going to rely on a B&M for more than the occasional emergency purchase.

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I was wondering how everybody's (here on the forum) perception of certain B&M that are located in their area... Vaping has slowly spread around in my rural area. I am an online shopper and if it wasn’t for the internet, I wouldn’t have known what vaping was nor would I known about ECF...

I’ve been busy trying to keep on vaping (4 months no smokes) raise the kids/work/pay the bills yada yada yada....you know the deal

Anyway the local store (7 miles from my house, opened early June, 2013....the owner has several stores many miles and places away)
He has a basic selection (new mods, basic clearomizers, basic juices ( the juices has his store name brand, I’m not for sure if his business makes their own juice or he buys e-juice and slap his sticker on it) and I believe (could be wrong) that they don't make their own.

I’m already seeing problems with them... and I’m having problems dealing with my moral compass of the situation.
1. The mods/accessories are marked up way farther than what I have seen on the net.
2. The juices are "basic" and are enough to get by with... Some are Dekang / a few Halo/ and his store name juices and they are high priced there.

Number 3 and this is my dilemma...

I ordered some juice from a reputable online vendor... The mailman has it in my box waiting for me... I went to facebook and I went to the local B&M page and I saw where the owner was stocking his shelves with juice ( from the same company I ordered) for twice the amount. I bought 30 ml of juice from the online vendor and the B&M owner is selling 15ml for the same price...

My jaw just dropped...

I feel sorry for the older customers (that don’t use the internet) and it scares me because the price gouging could possibly give non-knowing & perspective new customers a bad taste in their mouth. Vaping i thought was a safer alternative to smoking... cheaper (with juice) than buying packs or cartons of smokes...

I can understand a store vendor or any business owner trying to make a profit... If I had a store and say I bought/made e-juice for 6 bucks for example... My common sense would say "ok I’ll sell it for 7, maybe 7.50 ..but not 12 bucks... for a 10-12ml bottle
but then again, I’ve never had a business/operated a business...

or maybe I’m just plain stupid?

From a simple customer...I feel sorry for the older customers (that dont use the internet) and it scares me because the price gouging could possibly give non-knowing & perspective new customers a bad taste in their mouth. Vaping i thought was a safer alternative to smoking... cheaper (with juice) than buying packs or cartons of smokes...

I can understand a store vendor or any business owner trying to make a profit... If I had a store and say i bought/made e-juice for 6 bucks for example... My common sense would say "ok Ill sell it for 7, maybe 7.50 ..but not 12 bucks... for a 10-12ml bottle
but then again, Ive never had a business/operated a business...

or maybe im just plain stupid?:banana:

From a simple customer...

That bothers me a little too. I think some stores think they can markup everything by same number of dollars (lets just upcharge 10 bucks on everything!!) rather than a %.

Local store near me sells bolts for like 100 bucks. WHA??
clearos are like a dollar more, so not too terrible. his juices I suspect are rebrands, but good quality I think - and charges like 16 for 40mls. really a decent price. Unfortunately after doing some major sniffing and a little sampling I didn't like much.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
This is what free markets are all about.

Consider this fact. All the major fast food chains can make a 32oz soda for about 10 cents. The biggest cost to them isn't even the drink itself, its the cup which cost about 7 cents. They sell it to you for 1.89. Thats like a 1900% markup. They also can make an order of fries for 15 cents and they sell it to you for a dollar.

They also only make about 25 cents profit on the burger they sell you but they need to sell you these or you wouldn't go there.

You could make all this stuff at home for about 15% of what it cost you to eat at a burger joint. IF and the key word is IF.....If you had access to their supply chain and were prepared to buy the items in the bulk sizes that they do.

What I'm trying to say here is that brick and mortar business has a different paradigm than the online store. They have higher overhead, they have to have liability insurance in case you slip on their floor, and then someone has to be there inside the store during open hours.

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Skymyrka,, omg, yes I've seen that web site before. I don't mind paying more for a superior quality product in any area but.....
They advertise that it's superior while being just a plain old cig a like. And over over pricing it...It's a true shame... I hope none is falling for it but they are still in business... so sad and such a scheme.

Garner,, (op) when I see things like that, store owners who mark products up sky high, I walk out. Maybe after awhile they will get the clue that they can't rob potential customers..... and hopefully get with the program and reduce the price.

It's probably cheaper to drive further even with the gas prices being so high...

murphyramone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Rockford, Il
My wife and i stopped in and checked out a store we saw when we were out travling over the weekend. I was going to buy a evod tank to check it out(i dont have one), but when the kid at the counter (pull you pants up for christs sake) rang it up and told me $17.46 i politely refused and we were on our way. I understand the mark up but i have seen them on line for a third of that price. :mad:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
B&M stores have overhead/expenses that online vendors do not have.
That said, the lowest retail price you can find online is about half the actual wholesale cost.
Any retailer knows this.

My local B&M sells eGo 's for about 3 times the retail price.
Acrylic basic clearomizers for 25 bucks.
I understand "keystoning" inventory but 3 times online RETAIL is rediculous.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I've found three nearby. The first sells decent stuff, but seriously over priced and was too pushy about upselling. I went in to buy a 510 atty ($6 but it was an emergency) We talked about the advances in vaping over the last couple years a little bit and he tried to sell me a vmax at provari prices. The second tried to charge me $125 for a zmax knock-off and sold me a spinner knock off for $30 as the real thing. The third, Nicstation in Portland, OR I haven't been in yet but I talked to the people on the phone and it sounds like their prices are high compared to fasttech (as I would expect) but not out of line for a B&M $105 for an evic, $59 for a natural. They have basic DIY and modding supplies and all of the online reviews are really positive, talking about how wonderful the customer service is. You can guess which store will be getting my money.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
B&M stores have overhead/expenses that online vendors do not have.
That said, the lowest retail price you can find online is about half the actual wholesale cost.
Any retailer knows this.

My local B&M sells eGo 's for about 3 times the retail price.
Acrylic basic clearomizers for 25 bucks.
I understand "keystoning" inventory but 3 times online RETAIL is rediculous.

Exactly. I'll pay more for the convenience, instant gratification, and chance to support the local economy but let's keep it within reason people

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I think a B&M vape store has the right to conduct a profitable business model. I think as an uninformed vaper, the B&M is advantageous in that there's a human to answer questions. Online vendors may have a help ticket system, but when and if you receive a response is iffy. As has been mentioned a B&M has higher overhead and must compensate for that with pricing to maintain operation. I don't believe gouging is honorable, but what if the gouging you reference is just breaking even for the small business owner? How many sales per day must a business owner with a limited demographic client base make just to stay afloat? Must the prices be higher for compensation of limited sales? Another view is what kind of competition does the B&M store have? Supply and demand regulates pricing, also. If there is no other outlet to purchase e-cigs in the area, he can mark-up prices to the roof for lack of competitive pricing. It's called monopoly.

rd2ruin

Mar 12, 2013
Philly burbs
* resists urge to strap on wonky economics helmet *

Demand will eventually set the price, has no moral compass and will determine what is in reason. As others have mentioned, markup for B&M is inevitable to cover costs of the B and the M.

If he's too high, he will fail due to no demand. If he's too low, he will fail to do no margin on sale.

Alternatively viewed, the B&M prices he is posting may be correct and not a premium, but rather the price online is at a discount. Not really much different than Walgreens selling blu carts for $15 when you can a variation of the same thing from Johnson Creek online at ~ $7 for the same amount.

There is a price with the convenience of getting what you need exactly when you need it. I can buy tires online cheap, but it doesn't help me when I'm on the side of the road with a flat.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    My local B&M sells only High Caliber and they moved their distribution warehouse almost next to theirs, prices are really good comparatively speaking and they have been in the industry for a long time. I think some people just see it as a business (your B&M) but there are those who do it because they love it. That translates into fair pricing and good customer service and busy locations.

Well .... they have now moved that warehouse to Boise ID :lol:
    Their in store prices are the same as their on line prices.

Need to understand that each B&M is a private enterprise, and they are free to set their prices at any level they choose. We get enough price fixing from companies in China, we don't need it here as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread