Local B&M's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Ahhh.... yet another "slam the B&M thread...."

A few days ago was my birthday and seeing the other half usually grabs the mail before I do it is safer to purchase local. ;)

So with a desire for a new "cubiod" I set out and visited a few shops. The last one had VTC mini's in FireEngine RED.

1x - VTC mini (red)
1x - TSV4-mini
1x - 30ml Cloud9 flavor
1x - 30ml Cloud9 flavor #2

Total: $205.00

Yes, it all was horribly over priced but it was my birthday and I could afford it.

(recommended: don't try this at home) ;)
I know, it's kinda' a Love/Hate relationship with B&M's at times. Some people love to hate them.. ;)

There are two shops within a few miles of me. Both are part of a chain of stores in the Seattle area. I have checked their hardware pricing against online vendors and the average markup is ~90%. One of the shops carries a house-brand of juice which has some flavors that I really like; 22ml bottles are $13 and 30ml bottles are $19. I'll still go in a pick up bottles of them. I couldn't afford vaping at the level I do purchasing all my juice there, so I get my bulk stuff online, andI'll be starting into DIY here in the next month or so. But I'll still consider getting the odd bits of hardware at them as a measure of support for the service they provide, and recommend people that are interested in starting vaping that they go to one of them to get started. This is what I did with my sister-in-law. I had figured that an Evic VTC Mini would probably be her best starter kit but she NEEDED to see, touch and hold the devices that were options as part of the purchasing process. Some people just can't buy blindly online, and she's definitely one of them. So she paid more for her kit than she would have over getting online, but the service of being able to have that tactile part of the purchase was invaluable. I'd hate to see that option go away for people.

BulletStopper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Kentucky
I guess I'm in the unusual situation. The local vape shop I frequent charges 14.29 for 30 ml (house). While not an outstanding price, it is less than 50 cents an ml, so acceptable to me. I do realize I could get it cheaper online, but also agree with supporting a local business. Their premium juices are the same costs as online vendors.

The owner did tell me his prices once - he pays $4 for the same juice.

Hardware does sometimes have a markup, generally none to 20% more online vendors.

jumphour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
CT, USA
My local B&M sells their house blends for $9.50/17ml, $18/32ml in plastic, and their "Reserve" line for $11.50/15ml, $20/30ml in glass. And their hardware is just under double what online places charge. I just can't afford it. I was worried when I started vaping, but between DIY and shopping for sales online, I'm makin' out like a bandit.

Reactions: Stephen1520

jumphour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
CT, USA
My local B&M sells their house blends for $9.50/17ml, $18/32ml in plastic, and their "Reserve" line for $11.50/15ml, $20/30ml in glass. And their hardware is just under double what online places charge. I just can't afford it. I was worried when I started vaping, but between DIY and shopping for sales online, I'm makin' out like a bandit.
I'm sure I'm missing out on some amazing complex juices, and my DIY isn't great yet, but I gots ta do what I gots ta to!

jlb

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2015
I do most of my business online. The B+M's around here come and go so fast, I can't depend on them to be there if I need something. I used to go to them to try out different things, but once I figured out what I liked and that I was always playing catch up to find them, got a prepaid card and haven't looked back. It woul be nice to have a good reliable one around tho.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    As of the 1st of the year our local shops are vastly different in that there is no longer a huge cloud of intermingled vaping flavors inside.
    (it is now illegal to vape where ever it is illegal to smoke in my state)

I'm thinking they are going to need to come up with a solution for the 'try before you buy' on the flavors as customers can no longer take a puff or two in the store.

Stephen1520

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2015
    Texas
    As of the 1st of the year our local shops are vastly different in that there is no longer a huge cloud of intermingled vaping flavors inside.

I'm thinking they are going to need to come up with a solution for the 'try before you buy' on the flavors as customers can no longer take a puff or two in the store.
    I've wondered what they are going to do about this as well. Best thing I can think of is they are going to have to start selling 5ml sample bottles for a couple dollars.

If they were customer friendly, then that's what they would do. If not, then they will keep expecting people to pay $20+ for juice that they may not like

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 5, 2013

The way things are going with this kind of legislation I should think DIY would take off like a rocket. It seems they don't care at all that they are killing businesses and hurting the economy as long as the vaping haters are happy.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    I've wondered what they are going to do about this as well. Best thing I can think of is they are going to have to start selling 5ml sample bottles for a couple dollars.

If they were customer friendly, then that's what they would do. If not, then they will keep expecting people to pay $20+ for juice that they may not like

Taking the samples outside would be impractical, especially considering the weather in some parts of the country, at certain times a year.
    Probably the wisest thing to do would be to either give out or sell little 3ml sample bottles.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I gassed up at a truck stop a few weeks ago. Their cigarette display wasn't half of what it use to be. But, they had more vaping supplies than some vape shops I've been in. The market is evolving folks, plain & simple.
    Convenience type stores operate under a different set of rules than vape specialty shops.
    When it comes to sample bars, ..... when was the last time you were allowed to sample a brand of cigarettes in a store?

Last edited:

Rosco P. Coltrane

ECF Veteran
    Dec 9, 2013
    USA
    As I shop owner I can say whatever the online price you see for hardware is effectively the shops cost! Even when I buy direct from the manufacturer, a local shop cannot buy 1000's of any one product. the online vendor buys larger quantities and uses that discount as their markup. I am a vaper first and a shop owner second, so we sell our products with a modest 10% markup. Consider the world of retail works on 100-200% markup, that shirt you bought at Marshalls marked down from 50 selling for 15 cost the retailer 7.

I can buy an RX200 for around 45.00 wholesale, what can you buy it for retail online? I understand the frustration by customers who want the lowest cost possible all too well.

A B&M is not as easy as it seems to just open up and compete with the Internet. Manufacturers would need to support us across the board for the playing field to be level. There is a reason why certain products prices are all the same online or in the store. China list a MSRP to entice shop owners to buy their products promising 50-100% markups, and at the same time have no problem allowing online vendors to sell at or below my cost.

Stephen1520

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2015
    Texas
    As I shop owner I can say whatever the online price you see for hardware is effectively the shops cost! Even when I buy direct from the manufacturer, a local shop cannot buy 1000's of any one product. the online vendor buys larger quantities and uses that discount as there markup. I am a vaper first and a shop owner second, so we sell our products with a modest 10% markup. Consider the world of retail works on 100-200% markup, that shirt you bought at Marshalls marked down from 50 selling for 15 cost the retailer 7.

I can buy an RX200 for around 45.00 wholesale, what can you buy it for retail online? I understand the frustration by customers who want the lowest cost possible all too well.

A B&M is not as easy as it seems to just open up and compete with the Internet. Manufacturers would need to support us across the board for the playing field to be level. There is a reason why certain products prices are all the same online or in the store. China list a MSRP to entice shop owners to buy there products promising 50-100% markups, and at the same time have no problem allowing online vendors to sell at or below my cost.
    I understand (somewhat) all the back handed politics involved when it comes to online prices vs B&M prices. I do wish your shop was in my town. I would gladly pay 20-30% mark up to have a product in my hand that day and a 10% mark up would be great. The shops here have about 100-120% mark up for everything they sell. From mods, batteries, wire, cotton, tanks, to drip tips and even vape bands. Vape bands at one of the shops here will cost you $4.50 each. I'm all for a man making money with his business but running a business to stay in business is a two way street.

Rosco P. Coltrane

ECF Veteran
    Dec 9, 2013
    USA
    I understand (somewhat) all the back handed politics involved when it comes to online prices vs B&M prices. I do wish your shop was in my town. I would gladly pay 20-30% mark up to have a product in my hand that day and a 10% mark up would be great. The shops here have about 100-120% mark up for everything they sell. From mods, batteries, wire, cotton, tanks, to drip tips. I'm all for a man making money with his business but running a business is a two way street.

Most shops owners don't even look at the online prices. They simple go by what they are told is the suggested retail price. Can you buy a authentic DNA 200 half price online? Notice that some of the higher end, especially American made products are about the same price everywhere?

I have no problem with online retailers. They take as much of a risk, buying in bulk in a market that changes in days is a scary thing.

braveminion

Jan 13, 2016
    I have a great store nearby, yes I could save a few quid online but the expertise and banter with these guys is worth it and more. They sell coffee and stuff so you can chill out while you test flavours or look around. I got a 30ml bottle of Wick liquor from them for 12 quid while the Wick liquor website would have cost me 10 but I can't test them on the website and I have to wait for it to arrive. Anything I can source through them I will do. I'll go online for what I can't get. If we don't use these things then we lose them. I don't mind paying a little extra to keep them running and having somewhere local to shop or just get advice.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Douggro

Ultra Member
    Nov 26, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    As I shop owner I can say whatever the online price you see for hardware is effectively the shops cost! Even when I buy direct from the manufacturer, a local shop cannot buy 1000's of any one product. the online vendor buys larger quantities and uses that discount as their markup. I am a vaper first and a shop owner second, so we sell our products with a modest 10% markup. Consider the world of retail works on 100-200% markup, that shirt you bought at Marshalls marked down from 50 selling for 15 cost the retailer 7.

A B&M is not as easy as it seems to just open up and compete with the Internet. Manufacturers would need to support us across the board for the playing field to be level. There is a reason why certain products prices are all the same online or in the store. China list a MSRP to entice shop owners to buy their products promising 50-100% markups, and at the same time have no problem allowing online vendors to sell at or below my cost.
    Thanks for coming in and representing the shop-owner side of this conversation. I've worked most of my life in the manufacturing/retail world for the printing industry, including job estimating and purchasing materials, so I have a relative grasp on the mechanics of being in the middle of a supply chain. You have to determine where the margins are to be had relative to the Cost Of Goods Sold and your Gross Costs. Those equations will balance out, relatively, in a given market. What will separate you from most competition is quality of service. If you can make smaller margins on bigger volume and provide good service to the customer, it's a winning combo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread