rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
OK, OK, OK :)

We are about to add another server. But, we are also about to change the site front page, as well. By changing the front page to a CMS (read: normal website type), the load should be slightly reduced as it's much easier to serve a standard web page than the forum index, the load is much higher if you have to serve that giant index with its continually changing content to every site visitor (which is tens of thousands per day).

So what we want to do is this:

1. Change the front page - which should happen by August 1st.
2. See what effect that has on server load as it should be interesting (and settle various arguments / bets among the tech staff here :) )
3. Then add another server immediately or as needed.

So it's all happening in the first week of August, folks. Watch this space. Until then, we will continue to kick Lu off at her favorite logon time of 1am EC as it gives her something to whinge about, and without that, she'd only be looking for other things to complain about :)

notsoogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
The REAL Washington
There are about 3 maintenance tasks that were run daily. We rescheduled a couple but that still leaves one running at 1 am EC - the main backup.

Since most members are in EC zone we'll move that to their 'dead' time, say 5am EC. But like Quas said, we are global so somebody somewhere has to pay. When it's good for US EC, it's bad for Pacific or Europe or wherever.

Depends who sends me the best 5 volt mod, maybe I'll fix it so they are in the clear. There have got to be some perks to this job :)

BLACKMAIL!!! Where's the ECF police when ya need em??? :D:facepalm:

4 or 5am Eastern works a lot better for me on the west coast. Just my :2c:!

notsoogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
The REAL Washington
We've actually been toying with the idea of putting a server in every members living room so they can decided when the backup happens for them.

However, the may necessitate a slightly higher suggested monthly subscription rate.

Just how much are we talking here???:D

And none of that blackmailing stuff like Roly was trying!!:blush::p

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Can we build our own server to save money? I have an old Commodore 128-D and a cell phone I don't use anymore... been meaning to learn how to solder and figure out that Linux stuff, too. I assume I can ask Elendil if I need any help, right?

Linux? Wasn't he Charlie Brown's friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread