Met another vaper in public for the 1st time ever, and it was sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
the most common side effect of pregnant women who smoke are babies with low birth weight. Sure it may cause increases in other areas but not that much. My mother has been in the nursing field dealing with babies for hundreds of years and she said the same thing that quitting is more stressful.

The most common is not even close to the most severe...which would be death of the child. This risk of miscarriage is almost doubled when smoking.

For any pregnant women looking to be soothed that the risks are minor, I'd suggest talking to their doctor or checking out the infinite number of medical sites on the web.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I love how so many people are willing to rely on NO medical knowledge - anecdotes and half-guesses - to state that it's all right for a pregnant woman to use nicotine. A simple search online finds that MULTIPLE studies point to the potential problems with nicotine affecting the human fetus.

Babies do go through withdrawal from drugs passed on from their mothers. And babies specifically do go through nicotine withdrawal from smoking mothers. And nicotine is a *physical stimulant* - so such a drug, circulated into a fetus's system via its mother, "probably won't" affect it? Or, "didn't with my kid"? Neonatal Nicotine Withdrawal Syndrome

I have found that it is important to go beyond the title of an article, and even beyond the abstract, both of which can often be misleading, depending on the bias of the researcher. I found the full text of the above linked article and found this sentence very interesting:

No definitive positive result for defining a withdrawal syndrome by means of the Finnegan test (2 consecutive scores >8) was registered.

But the authors apparently were not satisfied with the results of a standard test for measuring the withdrawal syndrome. They looked further:

However, scores between 0 and 8, especially by irritability and tremor over the first 24 hours of life, were recorded in 17 newborns. All these newborns, from mothers who smoke >20 cigarettes per day, presented quite high concentrations of both urinary cotinine and hair nicotine (median concentration: 450.2 ng of cotinine/mL and 4.6 ng of nicotine/mg, respectively).

So they did see some effect--irritability and tremor--on newborns whose mothers were heavy smokers. But keep in mind that a score of less than 8 is below the cut-off for diagnosis of withdrawal syndrome.

I found two things rather interesting in their closing paragraph:

With this information available, we recommend that the authors characterize a group of highly exposed newborns in which the NICU Network Neurobehavioral Scale could be administered more than once within the 48 hours after birth. Withdrawal symptoms and signs begin at 12 hours of life and last no more than 48 hours, with irritability and tremor being the prominent findings. We believe that results should be even more conclusive than those obtained, and the authors could succeed in demonstrating what we could only hypothesize: the existence of neonatal nicotine withdrawal syndrome.

1. Whatever symptoms they saw lasted no more than 48 hours. So we are not talking about permanent damage, even for the babies of heavier smokers.
2. The authors admit that their study does not demonstrate the existence of a neonatal nicotine withdrawal syndrome, but hope that another study will be able to prove their hypothesis -- among "a group of highly exposed newborns."

cluster

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
A rapid glance at published studies shows minimal risk for NRT during pregnancy. One study actually shows that NRT groups have actually lower risks than non-smokers, which may be related to the fact that said NRT groups "comprise a group of healthier smokers more likely to follow preventive advice during pregnancy, and that "medical risk factors may have been less prevalent among NRT users than among non-users.” ( Study Says Nicotine Replacement Safe in Pregnancy )

If using nicotine is to be considered a dumbass thing to do, what to say of more dangerous activities that pregnant woman may participate in: walking in city streets with all that pollution, driving, eating burgers ... let's just put all of them in padded white rooms for 9 months and be done with it already.

Our society is understandably interested in the well being of all, but it would be nice if that interest would not include crawling up people's ... for the smallest things, especially without any solid scientific ground to back the morality lessons.

"The road to Hell is paved of good intentions" could be the perfect motto our modern societies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The most common is not even close to the most severe...which would be death of the child. This risk of miscarriage is almost doubled when smoking.

For any pregnant women looking to be soothed that the risks are minor, I'd suggest talking to their doctor or checking out the infinite number of medical sites on the web.

What is the source of this statistic?

Can you also provide the statistics on the increased risk of miscarriage if the mother is under severe stress?

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
Like someone else said, I can't imagine a doctor ever saying that.

Just have to throw this in. I actually did have a doctor tell me that, although I wasn't pregnant at the time. I was having so many auto-immune system issues that were aggravated by stress that he told me he would like me to quit, but at that time, the stress was doing more damage than the smoking. He said to try to quit under those circumstances would do more harm than good.

It might be the same with a pregnant woman depending on her circumstances. Too much stress might be more harmful than the smoking.

But..I'm no doc lol

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
This is not directed at the OP as I wasn't there but just on the subject in general,

I'm a product of the 60's as is my brother. My mother smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish. Also remember this was the 60's there wasn't just nicotine being smoked. My Mom ahd 7 sisters the majority of them smoked as well and had kids.

The majority of my freinds parents also smoked. When you were in a car the cigs were blazing, Windows up if it was winter. We all were healthy kids. I'm not saying it is a good thing, It is just the way it was back then.

I also remember sitting on my dads lap steering the car for a second at 70 miles an hour with no seat belts while he opened another beer when we were on a sunday drive.

None of us wore safety equipment on our bikes or when we were on a skateboard getting towed at 30-40 miles an hour. We didn't wear it during our bb gun fights either.
All of us survived to adulthood.

I think people nowadays worry to much. About themselves and other people. Life is hort no matter what you do so live it the best you can as you see fit, and let others do the same.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Haven't you ever talked to someone, then walked away shaking your head, thinking, 'wow, what a dumbass'. I know I have. (I hope you're not doing it right now. :p) I'm guessing you've even done a 'nooooo, that doesn't make your .... look big', while thinking 'not anymore than everything else'. :lol:
As that was directed at me, I thought I'd reply: No, I haven't done that. Anyone who knows me knows that if they ask for my opinion, they will get just that.... and my friends value my opinion as a result, because they know they will always get an honest one.

If they want someone to tell them what they want to hear, they just don't ask me LOL.

..but yes, I can say something 'unpleasant' without being rude. However, I just don't volunteer my opinion to strangers and then call them a dumbass when they've left.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
What is the source of this statistic?

Can you also provide the statistics on the increased risk of miscarriage if the mother is under severe stress?

Really? You are asking me to cite my sources over the risks of smoking during pregnancy?

Hit google and go to ANY medical site that lists the the endless number of studies. Miscarriage, underweight, pre-term, asthma and numerous other respiratory diseases, placental abruption, etc.

It's pretty simple. If you choose to smoke while pregnant, barring orders from a doctor for other conditions, you risk the life and health of your child. There is no gray area here, you are choosing your addictive over the health of your child.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
Just have to throw this in. I actually did have a doctor tell me that, although I wasn't pregnant at the time. I was having so many auto-immune system issues that were aggravated by stress that he told me he would like me to quit, but at that time, the stress was doing more damage than the smoking. He said to try to quit under those circumstances would do more harm than good.

It might be the same with a pregnant woman depending on her circumstances. Too much stress might be more harmful than the smoking.

But..I'm no doc lol

I may have spoken too soon on that one, Ctourtelot. Actually, my doctor did a similar thing a year or so ago.

I was having an annual ckup and I asked about Chantix (this was before I was aware of pvs) and at the time he knew I was in the midst of planning my daughters wedding, my mom was having some tests and several other stressful things going on and he told me 'lets talk about this next year'.

Good thing he did b/c 3 weeks before the wedding I wound up w/my mom and my daughter (the bride lol) in the hospital. Never would have made it through all that. :p

I was thinking of this in the context of concern of the baby and that it might have been different if I'd been pregnant. But either way, a doctor did say it, so I'll eat my words on that one. ;)

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
As that was directed at me, I thought I'd reply: No, I haven't done that. Anyone who knows me knows that if they ask for my opinion, they will get just that.... and my friends value my opinion as a result, because they know they will always get an honest one.

I was thinking more in the context of explaining something to someone who just didn't quite get it. I have no problem speaking my mind, either, but in this context I would walk away thinking something along those lines. ;)

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
If using nicotine is to be considered a dumbass thing to do, what to say of more dangerous activities that pregnant woman may participate in: walking in city streets with all that pollution, driving, eating burgers ... let's just put all of them in padded white rooms for 9 months and be done with it already.

nopenope, can't do that (the padding material in the walls could be too dangerous for 'em)

I still say send them frolicking to live and eat buck-naked in a garden (but light on the frolicking.. there haven't been enough studies on the safety of frolicking while pregnant) ;)

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Hey, here is a great idea for anyone that feels it's necessary to open their mouth when they see a pregnant woman smoking, vaping, drinking, running too fast, eating fast food, driving too fast, jaywalking or anything else that you deem unhealthy to a baby. SHUT THE f u c k UP or .....
Mind your own damn business, then you wont have time to mind everyone else's. Its a simple philosophy, but many people have the most difficult time grasping how it works. But trust me, its very easy to do. Just keep you trap shut. Besides, it will help keep the flies out of your mouth while you are spewing verbal s h i t at others.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Really? You are asking me to cite my sources over the risks of smoking during pregnancy?

Hit google and go to ANY medical site that lists the the endless number of studies. Miscarriage, underweight, pre-term, asthma and numerous other respiratory diseases, placental abruption, etc.

It's pretty simple. If you choose to smoke while pregnant, barring orders from a doctor for other conditions, you risk the life and health of your child. There is no gray area here, you are choosing your addictive over the health of your child.

Yes, Nuck, I am asking you to cite the source that claims the risk for miscarriage is doubled. I went to Pub Med and searched the medical and scientific journals and could not find a study that gave that figure. So I was wondering where you read it.

And if you had such specific miscarriage stats for smoking, I was hoping you had the numbers for stress, too, so we could compare the two.

Rhaevyn

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
www.myspace.com
This is heading in the direction of a "Right to Life" debate. No one can live anyone else's life for them. Empathy, sympathy and concern are wonderful traits, but when it comes down to it, no one else wants you telling them how to live.

Someone here stated the old adage of "live by example" (my words in short). This is noble, however, some people just don't care how you live. Their version of right may be the polar opposite of what you deem to be right.

Society changes over time, and seems to do so at an exponential level now with the abundance of information available on the "interwebs." The more you can read, the more knowledge you can collect... and the more opinions you can form.

I believe in something called the Rede: An' it harm none, do as thou wilt.

Good advice that's been around for a very very long time.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Here are some other things we can recommend to expectant mothers as an alternative to inhaling tobacco...

huffing2.jpg

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yes, Nuck, I am asking you to cite the source that claims the risk for miscarriage is doubled. I went to Pub Med and searched the medical and scientific journals and could not find a study that gave that figure. So I was wondering where you read it.

And if you had such specific miscarriage stats for smoking, I was hoping you had the numbers for stress, too, so we could compare the two.

American Journal of Epidemiology - Abstract: Volume 154(4) August 15, 2001 p 322-327 Exposure to Tobacco Smoke in Utero and the Risk of Stillbirth and Death in the First Year of Life.

Took 30 seconds to find 3 different sources. Here is the abstract of one:

The authors examined the association between exposure to tobacco smoke in utero and the risk of stillbirth and infant death in a cohort of 25,102 singleton children of pregnant women scheduled to deliver at Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark, from September 1989 to August 1996. Exposure to tobacco smoke in utero was associated with an increased risk of stillbirth (odds ratio = 2.0, 95% confidence interval: 1.4, 2.9), and infant mortality was almost doubled in children born to women who had smoked during pregnancy compared with children of nonsmokers (odds ratio = 1.8, 95% confidence interval: 1.3, 2.6). Among children of women who stopped smoking during the first trimester, stillbirth and infant mortality was comparable with that in children of women who had been nonsmokers from the beginning of pregnancy. Conclusions were not changed after adjustment in a logistic regression model for the sex of the child; parity; or maternal age, height, weight, marital status, years of education, occupational status, and alcohol and caffeine intake during pregnancy. Approximately 25% of all stillbirths and 20% of all infant deaths in a population with 30% pregnant smokers could be avoided if all pregnant smokers stopped smoking by the sixteenth week of gestation.

If you have arguments with all the available studies, I'm pretty sure the authors would appreciate your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread