mechanical mod or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulk

Oct 27, 2014
NC, USA
I haven't been vaping for a while, only 3 weeks, and I been thinking about upgrading. I am thinking about going the route on mechanical mods.

The guy at the store i buy my stuff from is a big mechanical mod and i used his mod a couple of times and holy crap its awesome. his box has 2 18650's and .11 ohm coils... Best tasting vape i ever had. XD but i was thinking about buying a mechanical mod online because the one he wants to sell me cost $130 and i think i can do it a lot cheaper online.

What you guys think? Should i make the leap forward to mechanical mod? and What is your favorite mechanical mod?

Last edited:

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
Greetings Hulk, Welcome to vaping. Yeah the mech mods are tempting. I'm ordering my first one this week. There are a couple drawbacks to mech mods. First you have to get comfortable building your own coils. But it's not as hard as it sounds. Second, you will need an ohm meter to test your coils resistance (I just use the resistance setting on my multi-meter). And with that you have to know the limits of your battery and do not exceed it. It can be a serious safety issue since the battery will not be regulated. It can blow up. So buy good batteries and a good charger. Do your research and you should be fine. Also here is a good ohm calculator to help when building coils.
Ohm's Law Calculator
Happy vaping. Peace and God bless.

Hulk

Oct 27, 2014
NC, USA
Greetings Hulk, Welcome to vaping. Yeah the mech mods are tempting. I'm ordering my first one this week. There are a couple drawbacks to mech mods. First you have to get comfortable building your own coils. But it's not as hard as it sounds. Second, you will need an ohm meter to test your coils resistance (I just use the resistance setting on my multi-meter). And with that you have to know the limits of your battery and do not exceed it. It can be a serious safety issue since the battery will not be regulated. It can blow up. So buy good batteries and a good charger. Do your research and you should be fine. Also here is a good ohm calculator to help when building coils.
Ohm's Law Calculator

Happy vaping. Peace and God bless.

Thank you! Yeah, the biggest fear is it blowing up in my hands. :/ ain't nobody got time for that.

But i do want to get into dripping. It looks fun and it taste a lot better. from the couple i tried at least.

NOT! I would get a regulated device :) consistent hits thru the battery life :) There are many regulated devices that can sub ohm At a good price point :)

What would you recommend?

Hulk

Oct 27, 2014
NC, USA
Just out of curiosity can you say which mod he has for $130? It might be worth it if it's a good authentic and you can try it out before you buy it. Sometimes I like to buy from shops just because I can feel the quality of the device before I buy it. Anyways, good luck in your endeavors.

I forget what brand name it was but it was a good quality one, 100% copper. The battery housing was like $80 and then the atomizer was like $40 then if i wanted to buy battery and charger, it would has been even more on that of that.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Personally, if I was just getting into this I would choose a high wattage/voltage regulated mod over a mech mod.

With a mech mod the only way to "fine tune" your vape is to build a new coil. With a regulated mod (and its buck/boost circuitry) you can "fine tune" with a push of a button.:)

The only exception for me is my beloved Reos and their Woodvils! It's a bottom feeding mechanical mod.:)

Last edited:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
If your willing to spend a little more the options are endless A DNA 30/40 box is great like a hanna or a vapour shark the flask. These are more money but there American made devices All the devices i mentioned will do .5 ohms and all are a better choice than a Mec mod IMO
A mec mod is old school regulated devices are What you want today :)

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
When I came time for me to upgrade beyond the almighty ego, I waffled: Vamo or mech?

I ended up getting a VTR, got a good deal as it was bundled with a Kayfun, dripper, charger, and batteries.

Now, I finally ordered a mech and am anxiously waiting, but my point is this:

Building and wicking isn't hard to do, but it isn't easy to do well. I'm very glad I got something regulated to practice building on, and 15 watts is plenty to be a significant upgrade from an ego; I've lived with it for two months now.

Additionally, I'll be spending a little on an ohm-reader and DMM, things I didn't really need with the VTR. So my vape budget has had some time to recover.

I'd love a high wattage device, but with a mech, I get a cheaper way to see how many watts are enough, before making a decision in that regard.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I would suggest getting a regulated device and learn how to build first , there's no room for errors on a mech . But having said that , I prefer mechs for their aesthetics , simplicity and durability . My Panzer will be around long after every circuit board in my regulated devices has died . But I will say it again , learn how to build first , acquire the proper equipment , multimeter and ohm meter , and then go with a mech , otherwise you'll become a statistic .

Hulk

Oct 27, 2014
NC, USA

If your willing to spend a little more the options are endless A DNA 30/40 box is great like a hanna or a vapour shark the flask. These are more money but there American made devices All the devices i mentioned will do .5 ohms and all are a better choice than a Mec mod IMO
A mec mod is old school regulated devices are What you want today :)

Thank you! those boxes are perfect!!! i rather spend 100 plus on those than a mechanical mod. But is there any good single battery one that is a little cheaper? i just want to see the options or do you recommend just those ones? I rather get the best for the money and not cheap out.

When I came time for me to upgrade beyond the almighty ego, I waffled: Vamo or mech?

I ended up getting a VTR, got a good deal as it was bundled with a Kayfun, dripper, charger, and batteries.

Now, I finally ordered a mech and am anxiously waiting, but my point is this:

Building and wicking isn't hard to do, but it isn't easy to do well. I'm very glad I got something regulated to practice building on, and 15 watts is plenty to be a significant upgrade from an ego; I've lived with it for two months now.

Additionally, I'll be spending a little on an ohm-reader and DMM, things I didn't really need with the VTR. So my vape budget has had some time to recover.

I'd love a high wattage device, but with a mech, I get a cheaper way to see how many watts are enough, before making a decision in that regard.

Thank you! i think i am going to do a regulated mod, i think that is best to start with.

I would suggest getting a regulated device and learn how to build first , there's no room for errors on a mech . But having said that , I prefer mechs for their aesthetics , simplicity and durability . My Panzer will be around long after every circuit board in my regulated devices has died . But I will say it again , learn how to build first , acquire the proper equipment , multimeter and ohm meter , and then go with a mech , otherwise you'll become a statistic .

Thank you! I am going to save up and buy all the equipment and then the a regulated mod!

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thank you! those boxes are perfect!!! i rather spend 100 plus on those than a mechanical mod. But is there any good single battery one that is a little cheaper? i just want to see the options or do you recommend just those ones? I rather get the best for the money and not cheap out. Thank you! i think i am going to do a regulated mod, i think that is best to start with. Thank you! I am going to save up and buy all the equipment and then the a regulated mod!
Most regulated mods display battery voltage and coil resistance figures so you can save a little money starting out , but a good multimeter and ohm meter are required for using mechanical mods safely , take your time and do your research , this does tend to become a hobby very quickly , Good luck . :)

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Thank you! those boxes are perfect!!! i rather spend 100 plus on those than a mechanical mod. But is there any good single battery one that is a little cheaper? i just want to see the options or do you recommend just those ones? I rather get the best for the money and not cheap out.

A hana clone from Cloupor Is a pretty good deal 68.99 You will read that a lot of people had problems with this particular unit But I have had one for a long time now I use it everyday at work and all thou it is not perfect it works very well
DNA 30 Box Mod by Cloupor

Hulk

Oct 27, 2014
NC, USA
A hana clone from Cloupor Is a pretty good deal 68.99 You will read that a lot of people had problems with this particular unit But I have had one for a long time now I use it everyday at work and all thou it is not perfect it works very well
DNA 30 Box Mod by Cloupor

Thanks again! i am looking at the 150w box as of right now (even though i won't go 150w for a while) i am going to buy if after thanksgiving, at least i hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread