Marlboro and Camel Snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
I imagine the amount of nic needed to achieve some level of lift is subjective too. The Discreet is currently putting enough of a smile on this face anyway. :D (FWIW, I was an ultra low-nic -- but yes, frequent & long-dragging ;) -- cig smoker, and am a low-ish nic vaper -- mostly 11mg.) I dunno, maybe at this level one could ask what's the real point over something like nic gum, but I would guess that the Swede-ish implementation of Discreet delivers what's there more efficiently than the gum, and it's also a lot more enjoyable, and lasting (to me anyway), and of course a heckuva lot more economical.

Just updating on my snus-newby experiences tho, not complaining or differing with anything atm! :) I do have several cans and samplers of the Swedish stuff as well, not just minis and white but regular portions too, most yet to be tried but for sure will be eventually. (However, if I ultimately find that a low nic level is already scratching my itch sufficiently, wouldn't seem advisable to bump up anyway, so perhaps would split up the portions.)

You make an excellent point here, just because 4mg didnt cut it for me doesnt mean it isnt just right for others. I think for some it may be hard to find the right taste and right str, for me I got lucky right off the bat but then again I seem to love the taste of snus and have only tryed one I didnt like.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Just so things don't get muddled, I feel the need to clarify my stance on Swedish snus and reaffirm TB's point. I've posted many times that whatever works, work it. It doesn't matter if it's a piece of gum, PV, Camel or Swedish snus or a combination of all the above. Whatever works..... Snobbery isn't really an option for me since I'm constantly explaining what the lump in my lip is, and why I'm using it, to an anti-tobacco world, dippers who think anything Swedish is sissy (man, I'm a biker not a weekend warrior), including my family and some members of this forum. I'll probably always see it as my crutch for what my body won't do on its own. But whatever works. True, I have a big distaste for anything Big tobacco, but my opinion of Camel and Marlboro snus is from first hand. Had it not been for TB and many others who praised the benefits of Swedish snus, I'd probably be sitting at my 'puter with a smoke hanging from my lip and a trashcan full of PV junk and American snus. I can only relate from my personal angle and my needs would vary from many others. American snus only barely moves the nic meter. Since nicotine content and the associated alkaloids go hand in hand, I couldn't begin to keep my sanity. For Ultra light, 1/2 pack a day smokers there's a good chance. Enter Swedish snus.....many times more effective for what I need as well as much cheaper per portion. So effective for me that I shucked my PV and use snus only, which also makes me more sensitive to its effects.....or the lack of. Humbly and with certainty I put Swedish snus far above and separate from American snus. No snobbery here. It works better, lasts longer and is cheaper. I do berate American snus, but not the user. Some will do fine with it, no doubt, but in my eyes those who decide to try snus are in need. Maybe not as much as me, some maybe more and I want to be clear that American snus isn't representative of what Swedish snus has the capacity to do. Also, even though I have some flavors I enjoy very much, I'd eat a cat turd to keep myself squared away, most may not. Still, whatever works, work it, just weigh your options.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Good post Twisted, as usual for you.

You made very clear, and I'll just back it up that there is a big difference between Swedish and American snus as far as Nicotine delivery goes. I started out with camel snus and thought it was great, but I couldn't quit smoking until I started using the Swedish version.

I can well understand why some can be put off by the taste of traditional Swedish snus at first blush and TB's warning about turning off a new snus user. It's a problem because traditional flavored snus can be an acquired taste. Not much worse thing to do for a new user then try some General snus, not like it, and go back to smoking.

Fortunately there are lots of flavored Swedish snus that are easy on beginners and still deliver the goods. Over time lots of people do develop a taste for the standard snus, as in Ettan, General, Skruf, etc. Some never do and stay with Wintergreen, Mint, etc indefinitely. If it works it's all good.

The problem I have with american made snus is that for all but very light smokers it just doesn't deliver the goods. Not a good thing for even average smokers, much less so for heavy smokers.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Thanks for getting the point, TV and Stubby. You're exactly right.

You KNOW I don't buy and use Camel snus. But nor do I condemn or belittle anyone who does. Needs are as individual as taste. Camel might suit many. It certainly won't turn them off with a need to "acquire a taste for it." No need to dis it.

Bluntly, my needs aren't met by Camel or Marlboro snus. My needs are met by Swedish products that I order and use daily.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
I have to say, I tried the Fellinni mini mint and was blown away. I bought a can for my GF because she likes general mini mints, and I really enjoyed the Fellinni. I might have to get a can for myself, but I wish they offered full sized portions. The Fellinni mini mint is similar to the general mini mint, but has a much richer, chocolate-y/creamy taste. yummm

Sly, Glad you like it! I think the Fellinni and Gen minis will be my all day stuff. The hubby is using the Thunder.

TV, you're right...if it works, do it. I am sensitive to a lot of artificial sweetners. Even though the Camel or Discreet is good enough to hold me over for an hour or so, the trade-off isn't worth it. I won't feel right for another hour. I had the same can of Camel in the freezer for months.

TB, I have tried the Skoal Bandits and I have to honestly say that the Swedish product is better tasting and easier to tolerate. Not trying to be snobbish, just honest about my preferences. Yours may differ, and that's OK!

Well in the spirit of harm reduction skoal, cope and dip should never enter into the conversation.

While waiting in line for paying for a tank of gas the guy in front of me got a can of skoal...I wiped my probe out and offered him a pinch, showed how to do a fast finger bake and told him to upper lip it. Kinda felt like the chewlies gum rep in clerks.
He tried it and did not buy the skoal, being nice I gave him my half of can of probe and info where to get it at.

AllCoExPat

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
Elkton, MD
While waiting in line for paying for a tank of gas the guy in front of me got a can of skoal...I wiped my probe out and offered him a pinch, showed how to do a fast finger bake and told him to upper lip it. Kinda felt like the chewlies gum rep in clerks.
He tried it and did not buy the skoal, being nice I gave him my half of can of probe and info where to get it at.

Good show, Dred! I've been passing out samples here at the office as well. Several dippers seemed really interested in the more "heavy duty" traditional flavors - One of them loved General OP.

I brought in a few sampes of Discreet and Mini Mint today for a lady who sits a few desks down from me. I turned her on to PVs a while ago and yesterday she mentioned that she just felt something was missing from the PV experience. I let her in on my "secret". I don't know if she'll get past the whole "eww... it's dip" mentality, but I'll at least show her the options that are available. Next step is to direct her here to do some of her own research. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread