Marlboro and Camel Snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnsb

Mar 3, 2010
Huntsville AL
I'm going to order one of those General Starter Kits.

BTW, I don't mind salty or loose(not in little bags) or tobacco flavored, and would like to know what might be close to Copenhagen as far as taste and consistency goes.

I've met a few oldtimers who've had half their face removed from cancer, not to mention having to spit all the time, so I like the possibilities of snus.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
No need to be apologetic in any way for liking Discreet. It's in every order I make. It tastes good, period, as opposed to the "acquired taste" of some Swedish snus (that means it tastes like crap but we smile-on so everyone knows "we cool, we cool.") This only-Swedish-is-good is snus snobbery at its worst.

And if you haven't tried Discreet, don't even comment.

Discreet, General Mini Mints and Fellini are all fine choices. I like General Wintergreen, too, since it has a bit more bite, but still tastes good.

I like the tastes of all Camel and Marlboro snus products I've tried -- but they are woefully lacking in nicotine, so I do not buy either. Get me either in 8mg or stronger and I'll buy in.

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
I've been wanting to try Swedish snus just to see what the fuss is all about, so I ordered the free sample from GetSnus the other day. Not knowing any better, I guess, I got the General white portion, and I hate to say this, but it's the nastiest thing I've ever tasted. :) Seriously, and the sad thing is that I really, really like salt. I even salt the crap out of pizza and many kinds of fruit. I had to keep running to the sink to spit. :) I really can't imagine that I'd like fruity stuff or wintergreen, so I'm not sure what to try. :confused: I really wanted to like it.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
Ditto. Swedish snus is the only way to go. Healthier, safer and thoroughly satisfying (in some ways, I find it even more satisfying than analogs, really!).

BTW, watch 60 Minutes tomorrow. They are doing a segment about snus.

I find it way better than analogs and the PV. To the OP, my brother is a dipper and he thinks his dip is stronger than snus and it may be but Thunder at 16mg is plenty strong and I personally dont like the way dip tastes, I always get mud mouth with it, and I cant deal with spitting or swallowing that nasty juice so for me Sweedish Snus is king, I dont get mud mouth, I dont have to spit or swallow nasty juice. Americian Snus is worth squat if your going to Snus Sweedish is game on.

TB I dont see where saying weak camel or marblo doesnt cut it for me as snobbery for me 4mg or less is a waste of time. I do see peoples differences in taste being a personal taste but I dont like sweet snus and I like nic, dont know of any Americian snus that fits that ticket.

Last edited:

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
Okay, I may try that once I finally get over the shock of the first one. :) I'm doing the smiley faces because it truly is almost comical to me how awful it was (because I usually prefer bitter, salty, very dark chocolate, etc.). :)

If you pm your addy Ill send you a sample of ETTAN which you may like it better than general, or maybe LD black which tastes like liquorice. Ettan tastes like tob and salt. Snus doesnt make me salavate at all. General has Bergamont in it some people love it and some hate it. Taste is subjective

Last edited:

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
If you pm your addy Ill send you a sample of ETTAN which you may like it better than general, or maybe LD black which tastes like liquorice. Ettan tastes like tob and salt. Snus doesnt make me salavate at all. General has Bergamont in it some people love it and some hate it. Taste is subjective

I may eventually take you up on that. I think I may give this stuff 1 more shot and maybe try the Camel Frost (I know, I know...) I bought quite a while ago to soak in PG. I don't think I ever actually snused it. One thing I know I wouldn't like, though, is anything that tastes like liquorice. Thanks for the offer, though. If I can't do the General, I may have to send it your way. :)

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Discreet is okay, but it does have saccharine in it as a sweetener. It is made like the Swedish snus and from what I hear has very low TSNA numbers, comparable to the Swedes.

Just so you know IL tax on smokeless is on the low side. I think it's 18% of wholesale. That's not bad compared to some of us. Bunch of places in the Chicago area where you can get it at brick and mortar stores. If stores in the flatlands start carrying a larger selection of snus, as in Ettan, Skruf, etc, I may be making some snus runs in the future to your fair city. Chicago is also targeted by Swedish match as one of the cities that will be expanding their presence in the next year.

I, too, am a local Chicagoan. I've only seen one shop, so far, in the city that carries anything besides camel/marlboro snus. The shop is called Iwan Ries and it's in the Chicago Loop at 19 S. Wabash. It's an old tobacco shop(i guess it's been around for 150 years!). I've only been in there a few times, but they have a ton of snuff, and a fridge filled with General Snus. I can't remember the prices on the snus, but I remember it being reasonable. Snuff was around 4bucks for 25g tins of Wilsons.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
No need to be apologetic in any way for liking Discreet. It's in every order I make. It tastes good, period, as opposed to the "acquired taste" of some Swedish snus (that means it tastes like crap but we smile-on so everyone knows "we cool, we cool.") This only-Swedish-is-good is snus snobbery at its worst.

And if you haven't tried Discreet, don't even comment.

Discreet, General Mini Mints and Fellini are all fine choices. I like General Wintergreen, too, since it has a bit more bite, but still tastes good.

I like the tastes of all Camel and Marlboro snus products I've tried -- but they are woefully lacking in nicotine, so I do not buy either. Get me either in 8mg or stronger and I'll buy in.

i agree TB, snus snobbery is never good! I just wish they offered discreet in larger quantities and in cans(tho, I like having a packet of discreet peach in my wallet as an emergency snus lol).

I have to say, I tried the Fellinni mini mint and was blown away. I bought a can for my GF because she likes general mini mints, and I really enjoyed the Fellinni. I might have to get a can for myself, but I wish they offered full sized portions. The Fellinni mini mint is similar to the general mini mint, but has a much richer, chocolate-y/creamy taste. yummm

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I don't think people recommending Scandinavian snus are snobs. Swedish and Danish snus are pasteurized and free of many carcinogens that are present in American, fermented snus. I believe that Swedish snus is the closest to a "healthy" tobacco delivery system there is. It contains fewer nitrosamines than Nicorette, actually, plus all the lovely MAO inhibitors that all the NRT products lack. The only additives to Swedish snus are clearly listed and usually limited to salt, some kind of acid (citrus) and flavoring (herbs, menthol, eucalyptus and such).

Read about it and you'll understand why Swedish snus has such following. There is nothing quite like it out there, trust me. Not yet, anyways.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
You're right Katya. Swedish snus stands alone. Camel and Marlboro are there for the taking if they want to see what snus is like, but it'll do little good for those who want to stay off smokes need the maoi's to stay sane. Sure, we can't call Swedish snus safe, 'cause it's 'baccy, other than that........;).

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
If you dislike General White, you will find Ettan to be the nastiest, yuckiest product you have ever put in your mouth. It is HARDCORE only. I use Ettan regularly, so I speak from experience. It is nasty. It stinks. It tastes terrible. But it is "neutral", so there is no sickening sweetness with regular use. It also delivers nicotine quite well (although Oomph Wine&Dine kills it with rapid nic delivery and no taste at all).

Taste and odor aren't all that subjective, BTW. We do adjust with repeated use, and that's undoubtedly why some think products like Ettan actually taste okay. Remember your very first cigarette? Or the first cigarette after being off for awhile? It was not good at all. After a pack, it tasted great. You had adjusted your sense of taste. Same for snus.

But a newcomer is better off starting with something that tastes good right from the start. No adjustment necessary. Ettan is a ridiculous recommendation for a first-time snuser. It's a product a vet moves up to after time.

I'm just trying to get newbies to begin and sustain a healthier practice when I type this advice.

And, yeh, I see snus snobbery all over the place. It's unbecoming. Bottom line: Anything that gets a smoker off cigs and to a healthier addiction is a GOOD thing.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
If you dislike General White, you will find Ettan to be the nastiest, yuckiest product you have ever put in your mouth. It is HARDCORE only. I use Ettan regularly, so I speak from experience. It is nasty. It stinks. It tastes terrible. But it is "neutral", so there is no sickening sweetness with regular use. It also delivers nicotine quite well (although Oomph Wine&Dine kills it with rapid nic delivery and no taste at all).

Taste and odor aren't all that subjective, BTW. We do adjust with repeated use, and that's undoubtedly why some think products like Ettan actually taste okay. Remember your very first cigarette? Or the first cigarette after being off for awhile? It was not good at all. After a pack, it tasted great. You had adjusted your sense of taste. Same for snus.

But a newcomer is better off starting with something that tastes good right from the start. No adjustment necessary. Ettan is a ridiculous recommendation for a first-time snuser. It's a product a vet moves up to after time.

I'm just trying to get newbies to begin and sustain a healthier practice when I type this advice.

And, yeh, I see snus snobbery all over the place. It's unbecoming. Bottom line: Anything that gets a smoker off cigs and to a healthier addiction is a GOOD thing.

Really Bob, Ettan is what I started with and I loved it then and I love it now but I guess your right taste isnt subjective. I dont think Ettan tastes alright I love it. Camel is good if a person likes real sweet stuff that doesnt deliver nic but then what is the point? Maybe discrete is a good choice for a newby but at 4mg, again no nic hit. I do agree with you about whatever works for a person to get off cigs is a good thing.

Last edited:

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
I imagine the amount of nic needed to achieve some level of lift is subjective too. The Discreet is currently putting enough of a smile on this face anyway. :D (FWIW, I was an ultra low-nic -- but yes, frequent & long-dragging ;) -- cig smoker, and am a low-ish nic vaper -- mostly 11mg.) I dunno, maybe at this level one could ask what's the real point over something like nic gum, but I would guess that the Swede-ish implementation of Discreet delivers what's there more efficiently than the gum, and it's also a lot more enjoyable, and lasting (to me anyway), and of course a heckuva lot more economical.

Just updating on my snus-newby experiences tho, not complaining or differing with anything atm! :) I do have several cans and samplers of the Swedish stuff as well, not just minis and white but regular portions too, most yet to be tried but for sure will be eventually. (However, if I ultimately find that a low nic level is already scratching my itch sufficiently, wouldn't seem advisable to bump up anyway, so perhaps would split up the portions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread