Making an Atomizer Coil 101 (Actual Working Methods Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredoutofmynut

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
i run out of silica, so i been busting ope my evo's and getting the rods out but hey so damb small i keep droppin them or snapping them in my hand.so thinkin it would work u know ? but what happened was the ni wire like exploded firing out the lead like bullet.so, i tried connecting the wires at the break and every time i fired up now empty nichrome wire it would break at the conection.any ideas pencil lead seemed so perfect....

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
i run out of silica, so i been busting ope my evo's and getting the rods out but hey so damb small i keep droppin them or snapping them in my hand.so thinkin it would work u know ? but what happened was the ni wire like exploded firing out the lead like bullet.so, i tried connecting the wires at the break and every time i fired up now empty nichrome wire it would break at the conection.any ideas pencil lead seemed so perfect....

I may be full of something here, but doesn't pencil lead contain graphite? And if I remember correctly, graphite is conductive. So I think what you are doing is shorting out most of the coil and that's why the ends burn up.

However, I digress because this thread is for WORKING methods only. Perhaps the OP could suggest where this post and the last one should have gone.

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
I havent put an order in to Jacobs for 6 months.
They didn't use to stock 36ga. Have to order some. Tnx for the Update.

Graphite is conductive and is not suitable for a core.

This thread is supposed to be archived in the near future and those posts will be deleted for being off topic and adding no constructive content so its no big deal.
Questions like that would be more suited in crazyhorse's Atomizer Rebuild thread.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Ebay does have 35ga NiCH wire $3.99 for 30' shipped.
I did the math and ordered some. It should fit in most attys for the length needed.
I'll post a pic of a coil, if it fits.
I've used 34ga in an 801 only. The ohms drop on 34ga makes the length pretty tough to stuff a factory cup without shorting the coil. It's certainly not impossible, but the heat distortion leads to frequent failures. Not a good thing. In a redesigned atty cup, 34ga would work in a more spacious environment.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
The Needle Method

Made 2 pre-soldered wire lengths and wrapped them up. The coil spacing can be adjusted, carefully, after wrapping. It doesn't have to be perfect, just don't let them touch when finished. Wrap tightly. When the needle is slid out the wick will expand leaving air space for the wicking action.

HOW IN HELL do you get those TINY solder joints??!!!
Mine all are to big to seat the coil in the cup! Using a 40 watt soldering iron now 'cause the other was just 25 watts. Still not getting the nicrome to solder clean!!!(sigh):(

OOOO Look at the difference between 410 and 501 atty cups !!!!
And the coil was in a horse shoe shape!!!!!

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
DVap, PM sent. Appreciate it.

rbonie,
It takes a little practice. If the solder is "blobing on the wire it can be a few reasons.
1. lack of heat or flux.
2. Soldering iron not cleaned of excess solder
Once you have the wires secured together with the dab of flux as in the picture, you should shake any excess solder from the iron and wipe it clean with a damp sponge or damp paper towel. It should be shiney. Touch the irons tip to the tin of flux and then to the joint. In abt 3 sec the joint should be hot enough to solder. The solder should be touched to the joint, not the iron. The solder should melt to the wires, flowing nicely and the excess will go to the clean iron tip. If the tip isnt clean, it will want to blob on the wire. You can clean the tip and just reheat the joint. Any excess solder should flow to the tip.

I'm begining to see many different setups and coils from pics posted. I can't possibly own all models , nor do I care to. I prefer to just have a few diff models that I can rebuild easily. Interesting on the horseshoe coil. I'm surprized its fed well, but without having one in hand to examine its impossible to say. The disposeable e cig has no feed system other than a wick. No mesh and works well.

Keep practicing with a clean iron and you'll have the "small" joints down in no time.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
No problem, the idea here is to teach. Just to post the pics and say "do it" doesnt always get it done. When you hit a snag like you did, asking is what you should do so it can be explained in more detail or a better way so you can succeed.
Make sure to loosen and retighten the tip as described. It doesnt take long for a tip to oxidise on the threads which really cuts the tips heat down. Leaving the iron plugged in for long periods of time causes this to happen faster and it will need to be done more often.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
No problem, the idea here is to teach. Just to post the pics and say "do it" doesnt always get it done. When you hit a snag like you did, asking is what you should do so it can be explained in more detail or a better way so you can succeed.
Make sure to loosen and retighten the tip as described. It doesnt take long for a tip to oxidise on the threads which really cuts the tips heat down. Leaving the iron plugged in for long periods of time causes this to happen faster and it will need to be done more often.
S' a new gun so thats ok..
Heating the joint for 3 seconds first seems to be the key. Check this joint. Much improvment.
Also, that 510 atty w the horse shoe coil. I think it's one of the HighTest atties . Higher ohms for higher volt mods. Check the air holes all around the top!!

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Thats a nice looking joint! Good job. If your wires are "locked" that wont give out easily.

Still hard to tell on the feed for the horseshoe. The best indicator is how the deposit on the coil is. If its even across the coil, thats good. A buldge in the middle is showing more mist hitting there, but it also gets hot there 1st, is hot there longer and is the hottest place on the coil. Some consideration has to be taken. I have seen some with middle buldges and clean ends! Not good at all.........
Us old timers use to read the spark plugs when changing them in our cars......pretty much the same kinda thing with coils.

The ideal situation would be to have no buildup at all. That just doesnt seem possible with the operational voltage range swing of the 3.7v systems. Regulated 5v stand a better chance if the ohms can be adjusted to produce vapor at that voltage, but not hot enough carbon the liquid. Liquids vary a lot due to flavors alone. It almost seems doing this would go against the reason for going HV in the first place, but could result in a very long lasting atty that could be cleaned if heat can be kept below the carbon producing point.

There is a lot to consider when making a coil. So, learn to make them first as a good replacement for your broken equipment and then you can experiment working on the other problems.

Again......nice work on that solder joint.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
The wick should have no "flavor" what so ever. Did something get on it during building?
The most common contaminant would be flux or possibly something that was on your fingers or the form.
The coil should be well rinsed in warm/hot water and dried prior to use.

This is the 1st instance of a bad flavor I've read of and just about everyone I know or have read, consulted with uses this material for wicking.
Many will prime the wick with plain PG/VG prior to using to prevent an initial dry burnt taste.
Factory atomizers are shipped primed.

For safety reasons due to unknowns, I'd make a new wick and insure everything is clean.
Inhaling an unknown bad flavor isn't a safe practice and you were right to stop using it till the reason can be found. If you think your wick may have a foreign material on it, it should be rinsed prior to being used.

Last edited:

perlion

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
Arlington TX
The wick should have no "flavor" what so ever. Did something get on it during building?
The most common contaminant would be flux or possibly something that was on your fingers or the form.
The coil should be well rinsed in warm/hot water and dried prior to use.

This is the 1st instance of a bad flavor I've read of and just about everyone I know or have read, consulted with uses this material for wicking.
Many will prime the wick with plain PG/VG prior to using to prevent an initial dry burnt taste.
Factory atomizers are shipped primed.

For safety reasons due to unknowns, I'd make a new wick and insure everything is clean.
Inhaling an unknown bad flavor isn't a safe practice and you were right to stop using it till the reason can be found. If you think your wick may have a foreign material on it, it should be rinsed prior to being used.

I figured it out. I ordered the fiberglass rope. Yuk. F.Y.I. Order
8828K73 from h t t p ://w w w.mcmaster.com/#silica-rope/=606tf5

Anyone want to buy 12" of fiberglass rope. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread