Atomizer / Cartomizer for life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
I decided to try and protect my rope wick with a stainless steel mesh aka Raidy's Genisis. I did this to try and prolong the rope wick life as well as a cleaner VG taste. It works great! The liquids wicks very well to the mesh and since there is only one layer of steel, it permeates through to the surface very easily ensuring a constant and wet liquid supply to the heating coil.

The pictures shows the rest.

Have fun.

PS. I still think the genisis idea benefits greatly with enhanced airflow.... :p

I took a small piece of mesh (5mm x 5mm) and rolled it around a ø1.5mm steel rod, torched three times and then took it off and push rolled the silica rope wick through. I then coiled the Nichrome wire 4 times around and stuck it into the syringe needles and pinned them down. Filled with liquid. Tested for shorts. vaping for a week - non-stop. Great taste. Great vapour. It works. Will see if it lasts longer that a standard rope wick. So far so good. It certainly tasted better!

2.jpg

1-1.jpg

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Nice job. I'd love to make one of these. What metal are you using for the frame? Any tips on making the frame? or can I buy a similar thing online?
If you put it horizontally wouldn't the liquid leak through the wick holes?

Thanks solarisx,

I used an old ego battery for the shell and brass for the inserts and cap end.
The liquid doesn't leak since the silica wick essentially "plugs" the holes and the liquid is absorbed into the string. A standard 510 atty connector was used. I just removed all the guts and soldered the needles in place and sealed it with epoxy glue.

It works very nicely. I have gone back to using the silica wick without the stainless steel shroud. It produces a more realistic and warm vapour (my personal preference). Others may prefer the s/s shroud however. It certainly lasts longer than just silica, but it is so easy to replace the coil and wick I don't bother anymore. It costs me less than 5 cents to replace the wick and coil and hardly 2 minutes of my life.... :p

lithiumdaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
So l3oertjie, where can I find braided tubes like you're using? I've searched but not found. And by the way, how do you pronounce that name of yours??

Ya know, it occurred to me, since this design puts the nichrome coil right at the top, it could double as a good wind-proof cigarette lighter :) :) :) Of course if your light your cigarettes with a PV, you need mental treatment.

thanks for reminding me to take my lithium...

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
I really love it. I just wish there was a way for me to make one. I don't have access to machining tools, so I'm looking for something already made for other applications, and use that. Do you know how much it would cost to send the design to a machine shop?

This one looks easy enough without complicated tooling requirements solarisx. Maybe worth a shot?

You can off course then ditch the air tube and rather have side air inlets at the top if you prefer.

Good luck!

Last edited:

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
l3oertjie, can you post the graphic you used to put on the eGo to make it look like a cigar? Also, what did you use to make the mouthpiece?

Ahhhh Yankee802 - you like the cigar look? So do I!

Here is the image file.
TobaccostripA3.jpg

I printed it to an A3 sheet of paper and rolled it around the casing and then painted with an epoxy to cure. The mouthpiece was also made with a different epoxy. Not sure the product is available internationally though. Made in South Africa and I believe also made it to the moon on the first moon mission. "Pratley Putty" :p

Here is the Boertjie cigar again:
Egocigar0.jpg

The "ash" at the end is also just pratley epoxy with a bit of black ink stripes. Looks really really real... lol Have fooled many old time cigar smokers with this.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Ahhhh Yankee802 - you like the cigar look? So do I!

Here is the image file.
TobaccostripA3.jpg

I printed it to an A3 sheet of paper and rolled it around the casing and then painted with an epoxy to cure. The mouthpiece was also made with a different epoxy. Not sure the product is available internationally though. Made in South Africa and I believe also made it to the moon on the first moon mission. "Pratley Putty" :p

Here is the Boertjie cigar again:
Egocigar0.jpg

The "ash" at the end is also just pratley epoxy with a bit of black ink stripes. Looks really really real... lol Have fooled many old time cigar smokers with this.

Brilliant! :thumbs:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
See now, I wouldn't be fooled as you didn't stick an orange LED in under the ash part so that it glowed properly, ie like with real FIRE. Then I'd be suspicious as to why there is a soft clicking sound when you are smoking it-- take care of all that and I might be convinced on a bad day.

:p j/k :p

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
See now, I wouldn't be fooled as you didn't stick an orange LED in under the ash part so that it glowed properly, ie like with real FIRE. Then I'd be suspicious as to why there is a soft clicking sound when you are smoking it-- take care of all that and I might be convinced on a bad day.

:p j/k :p

PFFFT...

I smoke it like the Russian mafia....

Will this one convince you Asdaq?

Cigar.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread