510 atomizer rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethG

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
Topeka Kansas
www.network3d.net
Has anyone rebuilt a 510 atomizer and posted their results? I've searched the forums by title for posts specific to this but haven't found anything. I'm asking because I've rebuilt one tonight and would be happy to pass on how I did it, but I don't want to redundant with the information if it is already out there.

If there is any interest in this, please be patient as I just got back from vacation on Saturday and need to et caught back up with work. This on top of the fact that our 16 year old cat was skin and bones when we got back, he apparently has failing kidneys... My wife is quite torn up about it as the prognosis is grim.

-------------------

Follow up I guess? All of these steps need to be done very carefully. It's tedious work, and I'm rethinking how I'm going about some of it. This method I'm using results in a drip only atty as the bridge gets destroyed.

I'm taking the broken atomizer apart by pressing the tube back and forth on a battery to move the tube up off the battery connector. Once the tube is removed there is an additional spacer that covers the guts of the atomizer which is also carefully removed.

At this point be careful not to damage or unwind the metal mesh on the core.

The wires going into the atomizer's core need to be cut close to the core as possible. Once the wires are cut, remove the bridge, it will pull out ripping the stainless foam/mesh. Remove the burnt out coil with a watchmaker screwdriver, the red positive side will be difficult to remove as it is bonded with the ceramic cup, use pliers for this. The insulation will strip off leaving a very small hole which you will have to feed the new coils nicrome through.

Once you disassembled to this point, wind a new coil using the " Making an Atomizer Coil 101" methods. I've been using the pin method. Leave enough nicrome wire to fit back through the ceramic cup, about 1/2 inch. Put the metal spacer back onto the core, it makes things a little easier and will help keep the metal mesh from unwinding while you work with it. Strip and solder the battery connector wires using the methods from the coil winding post, this is VERY tedious and you may end up having to replace the battery connector leads as well. make the solder joints as small as possible.

At this point, you can cover the solders with a dab of fingernail polish for a bit of electrical insulation. Also perhaps some thermal enamel. I've skipped this though and haven't had any problems with shorts yet...

Carefully put the assembly onto a battery to test it before putting the tube back on. Leave it on your battery to put the tube on. The atty core requires a quarter spin to get the wires into position for the tube to go back on. Press the tube into place. Thankfully the tube goes back on a lot easier than it comes off.

I'll add pictures and additional info as time allows... pending any interest.

-------------------

Please look here. I need more broken atties to work with.

Last edited:

SethG

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
Topeka Kansas
www.network3d.net
No problem. I'm hopefully getting 6 broken attys from my trade post so I should be able to perfect the art.

Is it possible for a moderator to grant permissions for me to edit the original post so that I can add pictures and more details, or should I just create a new thread once I'm relatively sure I have all the info I need?

SethG

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
Topeka Kansas
www.network3d.net
Sorry to say our cat "Thorn" had to be put to sleep. The kidney failure was bad enough to cause uremic poisoning.

thorn01_sm.jpg

Rest in peace Thorn.

:cry:

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. I had a persian whom was my companion and helped me through some really trying times in the time we had together. You will always hold him dear to your heart and have such fun memories of the time you had together. May he rest in peace and may your heart always hold him close and never forget the love he gave unconditionally. (((hugs)))

bigfoot

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2009
I lost a cat to kidney failure as well.
it seems with cats the kidneys are their weak point.
sorry for your loss. I know how it sucks and its a miserable way to go.
mine was in the hospital for 5 days before i had to put her down.
anyway.. back to your post.. that would be kool if i could rebuilt thse atomizers..
I have like a dozen of them and i suspect that my glv 5v was too much juice for them.
some only lasted a few hours..
would be nice to rebuild them..

SethG

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
Topeka Kansas
www.network3d.net
seth, i ws curious if there were any updates on the rebuilds?

Yes, I've made a lot of progress in the past few days. After the cat died my wife got some sort of upper respiratory illness. Life has not been running smoothly here, but it seems to be leveling off.

I've sent two of the three atomizers back to the responders, and I'm waiting for an address on the last one to send. I don't have this down to a science yet, but I'm getting quicker at it. The first repair took me about 3 hours to fiddle around with and get working and I think I have it down to about 30 minutes now. The main help in this, besides practice, has been the use of round ended needle nose pliers to bend the wires.

I'll try to get a complete post done with pictures as promised when I can find the time. Should I just add it here or make a new post "with pictures" as I can't edit this post. Plus I kind of hijacked my own post... :-(

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry to say our cat "Thorn" had to be put to sleep. The kidney failure was bad enough to cause uremic poisoning.

Rest in peace Thorn.

:cry:

SethG,
Sorry to hear about your cat passing away, he truly was beautiful.
I myself have a Golden retriever, turtle and long ago had a cat who also past.
When you get some time please post your pictures on how you went about fixing the 510 atty.
I have 3 attys right now of which 1 is almost non functional, 1 still kind of works and 1 in good working order.
Would love to learn how to fix them even if I only try it once just to see what’s inside and decide if it would be worth fixing attys in the future.
Best Regards,
Thanks you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread