Lost a screw

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I'm sure you could get them at McMaster Carr in whatever size and length you need. Trouble is they only sell them by the bagful.

Cutting a bolt and cleaning up the threads will be a fussy job, especially on a bolt that small. You would need magnifiers to see what you were doing. Putting a nut on first might help, it would make it easier to clamp the bolt for cutting. Personally I would use a dremel to do the cutting rather than a saw. Cut it 1/8 over length with the dremel then use a flat on the Dremel again to shorten it down and maybe get rid of burrs, shortening it with a dremel would give a smoother end than a file. If you don't have a dremel you would need a very fine saw and file to do something that small.

And by the way, if you don't have a dremel - WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU MAN. Actually you can get a low power cordless quite cheap on Amazon and once you get one you will find a thousand uses for it.

Reactions: DavidOck

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
I'm sure you could get them at McMaster Carr in whatever size and length you need. Trouble is they only sell them by the bagful.

Cutting a bolt and cleaning up the threads will be a fussy job, especially on a bolt that small. You would need magnifiers to see what you were doing. Putting a nut on first might help, it would make it easier to clamp the bolt for cutting. Personally I would use a dremel to do the cutting rather than a saw. Cut it 1/8 over length with the dremel then use a flat on the Dremel again to shorten it down and maybe get rid of burrs, shortening it with a dremel would give a smoother end than a file. If you don't have a dremel you would need a very fine saw and file to do something that small.

And by the way, if you don't have a dremel - WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU MAN. Actually you can get a low power cordless quite cheap on Amazon and once you get one you will find a thousand uses for it.
Oh I got a Dremel. Had my eye on a fordham (which is sort of like a Dremel but bigger, jewelers use em) but they’re too expensive.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Heh. We did it with the “what fits” method. It also appears to need to be 2.7mm or 6 threads long.
At least you now have the size, so don't need to get a gauge.

Yeah, without a nut on the screw to "chase" the threads, maybe a small triangular file, or a "keyhole" file might work.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Oh I got a Dremel. Had my eye on a fordham (which is sort of like a Dremel but bigger, jewelers use em) but they’re too expensive.
Never heard of that one before. Just looked it up on Amazon, jeez that's expensive. Won't even fit on my wish list, maybe the dream list along with the Porshe pickup. There used to be one of those cruising around Indianapolis back in the 90's. It was a minor craze around the country for a while. People got some rare small sized european pickup, I forget the brand, and fancied it up with oaint and Porshe signage.

• Haha

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The shorthand way you "Call-Out" a Metric Threaded Machine Screw is like this...

M(Major Diam)x(Length Under Head)mm

So for something like what you have, it would be M2.5x3mm. If your screw has 3mm from the underside of the head to the end of the threads.

Now you type this Call-Out followed by the word "Stainless" into e-Bay and get out your Credit Card.

Examples.

FYI - Very Common Head Types are Pan or Socket Head.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Never heard of that one before. Just looked it up on Amazon, jeez that's expensive. Won't even fit on my wish list, maybe the dream list along with the Porshe pickup. There used to be one of those cruising around Indianapolis back in the 90's. It was a minor craze around the country for a while. People got some rare small sized european pickup, I forget the brand, and fancied it up with oaint and Porshe signage.
There was a sort of half-way one for a while that was one of those spinning drywall cutters (so great big dremel) with a flexible extension cable. Those drywall cutters were eaten by vibrocutters though which do the sam job better, faster and with less mess.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
There was a sort of half-way one for a while that was one of those spinning drywall cutters (so great big dremel) with a flexible extension cable. Those drywall cutters were eaten by vibrocutters though which do the sam job better, faster and with less mess.
Good chance the pickup was a golf. They did a golf pickup (then called the rabbit) for a while. It was even smaller than a Subaru brat

Users who are viewing this thread