Lost a screw

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
So I lost a screw for my wotofo profile. I assume it’s identical to the other one which looks like this: Any idea where I might get another? It’s apparently Philips with flat, but this is not strictly speaking required. I just need a screw.
IMG_1518.jpeg

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Maybe here? Or at least contact them.

Reactions: DavidOck

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Reactions: smacuser

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Maybe here? Or at least contact them.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    The local big-box is no help. I’ll try though.
    I would think, though I've never looked, that the big box store would have thread gages right where the screws and nuts are sold. I live in a city surrounded by lots of farms/rural areas. We have a chain called Tractor Supply. Lots of what they sell is geared towards farmers obviously, but in their hardware section, right where the various screws are, they have, well I guess not technically thread gages but thread checkers, right above each different screw or nut size they sell is a post or hole of that size to check whatever you brought with you so you can verify that you are buying the size you want. Somehow I just assumed there would be something like that at the big box home improvement stores.

• Agree

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I would think, though I've never looked, that the big box store would have thread gages right where the screws and nuts are sold. I live in a city surrounded by lots of farms/rural areas. We have a chain called Tractor Supply. Lots of what they sell is geared towards farmers obviously, but in their hardware section, right where the various screws are, they have, well I guess not technically thread gages but thread checkers, right above each different screw or nut size they sell is a post or hole of that size to check whatever you brought with you so you can verify that you are buying the size you want. Somehow I just assumed there would be something like that at the big box home improvement stores.
    I’ve got Home Depot and Menards. Neither have gauges though. Ace might. There is a mill’s fleet farm, which is a more direct competitor for tractor supply, but it is something of a drive away. I suppose I could try acme too. They specialize in electronics parts (the owner is a Wiley coyote fan. He wanted to do the Warner brothers acme but they wouldn’t let him and he can’t sell explosives)

Reactions: Sir Kadly

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Not a bad idea for the Google. I think I will call hardware stores first too. The internet is occasionally wonderfully handy when it isn’t being a horrifying PITA.
    I did find one on aliexpress for $13. I have no idea if it’s real. I was assuming a clone. Where else should I be looking? $13 is a pretty expensive screw….

Got to the hardware store. The screw is m2.5 and SHORT. Not sure yet how short. Got to measure the remaining one. I of course do not have an m2.5 screw cutter and they didn’t have a nut for one :( (if you don’t have a screw cutter one way to do it is to thread a nut onto the screw, cut it with a saw, and then unscrew the nut, thus fixing any burrs or dings in the thread) so I’m gonna have to just be real real careful I guess and try to fix it with dental picks and a loupe when I’m done unless there is a better idea out there.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Screw is m2.5 and SHORT. I’ve got to cut the screw, but I can’t find a nut. (One way to cut a screw if you don’t have a screw cutter is to thread a nut on the screw, cut it with a saw, and then Unsrew the nut to fix the threads) I don’t know another good method. Right now I’m thinking partially cut the screw, try and break it the rest of the way, file the end to length, and then try to fix any remaining burrs or dings with a loupe and a dental pick. Anyone got a better idea?

Users who are viewing this thread