Look what I got today from my state senator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hmm sounds like he would not support it if his party was in the WH though.
And he never came out and said he supported vaping as a smoking alternative.
Just the party line and economics of it.
Good to have him support the bill if it comes up though, otherwise political rhetoric.
"In a bizarre example of the Obama administration creating novel definitions to words with otherwise plain meaning… "
g-cvr-080501-mission-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

There does not seem to be a monopoly on either side of the aisle for "novel definitions" being used.

Reactions: beckdg

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I got this one from Jeb Hensarling:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058). I appreciate having the benefit of your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, Rep Tom Cole (R-OK-4) introduced the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058) on April 28, 2015. This legislation would change existing federal law to prevent the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) from subjecting premium cigars and vapor and electronic cigarette products to FDA premarket review by moving from the date a which a product must have been on the market to be grandfathered from FDA review from 2007 to the day the FDA finalizes its deeming regulation. H.R. 2058 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee for further review.

The Family Smoking Prevention and tobacco Control Act of 2009 gave the FDA the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products. Specifically, the law allows for regulation of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigarette tobacco, and roll your own tobacco. To regulate any other tobacco product, the FDA would have to issue a rule outlining how the product is within FDA's legal authority to regulate. The FDA issued such a proposed rule on April 24, 2014, adding e-cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco and several other products to those that the FDA would regulate. However, to date, the FDA has not yet finalized this rule.

I understand your concern over the impact the FDA's proposed deeming regulation could potentially have on both those who use premium cigars and electronic cigarettes, as well as those who produce them. I voted against the 2009 law, in part, because I feared FDA regulation - which is not appropriate because tobacco products are inherently dangerous and the FDA's mission is to ensure product safety- would inhibit the introduction of reduced risk tobacco products or products that could allow people to quit using tobacco products altogether, like e-cigarettes.

Although I do not serve on the House Energy and Commerce Committee which has jurisdiction over this issue, rest assured that I will keep your views in mind should the full House of Representatives consider any relevant legislation in the future.

Thank you again for contacting me. I appreciate having the opportunity to serve you in the United States House of Representatives. I encourage you to visit my website at www.hensarling.house.govwhere you can sign up for my e-newsletter. The website also provides links to my YouTube,Facebook, and Twitter pages, all of which will help bring my work in Washington, D.C., home to you.

Yours respectfully,

A

JEB HENSARLING

Member of Congress

JH/[Staffer.Initials]

And this from Johm Cornyn:

Dear Mr. Muller:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important issue.

As you may know, on April 24, 2014, the FDA issued a proposed rule that would extend new regulatory authority to e-cigarettes and various other tobacco products, including cigars, pipe tobacco, and nicotine gels. Under the proposed rule, these products would be subject to controls such as registration and product listing requirements, prohibition on providing free samples, and restrictions on marketing products prior to FDA review. Moreover, the proposed regulations would use February 15, 2007, as the grandfather date for newly deemed products, as established under the Tobacco Control Act. The public comment period for this rule closed July 9, 2014, and a final rule was expected to be issued by June 2015.

On April 28, 2015, the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058) was in introduced in the House of Representatives. This legislation would change the grandfather date for newly deemed tobacco products from February 15, 2007, to the date on which the FDA’s regulations are finalized. H.R. 2058 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce for further consideration. Although no similar legislation has been introduced in the Senate, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind should relevant legislation be considered during the 114th Congress.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

Ted Cruz didn't respond, but he sure as sheets hit my inbox up twice a week looking for campaign donations.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
See those replies are nice but they both completely dodged the question. Neither of the replies neither confirm or deny what they intend to do, or what their views or opinions they have regarding the matter. All they do give the voter a false hope that your question was read and answered, it was read and understood but it was completely dodged. The OP's congressman made it 100% certain which camp they were on, the only reason I bring this up is because here in NY we had our fair share of 2 sided politicians. I've seen them send similar letters to us and then go about and do the exact opposite.

PS: Forget about Ted Cruz he couldn't care less.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Here are two responses that I received from Senator Dick Durban last year:

Thank you for contacting me regarding electronic cigarettes. I appreciate hearing from you.

In April 2014, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) outlined its proposal to regulate electronic cigarettes as tobacco products. Consistent with current tobacco regulation, electronic cigarette manufacturers would be required to register product and ingredient listings and only assert marketing claims of reduced risk if they are scientifically confirmed by the FDA. Additionally, minimum age and identification restrictions would be placed on the sale of these products.

Recent FDA studies have found significant quality control issues with electronic cigarettes such as the presence of carcinogens and toxic chemicals, variations in the doses of nicotine in each inhalation, and the presence of nicotine in products claiming to be nicotine-free. Despite the lack of evaluation on the effects of these products, their popularity and user base continue to grow, especially amongst teenagers.

According to a study released by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), about 21 percent of adults who smoked traditional cigarettes had also tried electronic cigarettes in 2011, a number that doubled since the previous year. From 2011 to 2012 the total number of middle school and high school aged children that had tried electronic cigarettes also doubled.

I will keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues and the FDA to ensure the safe and responsible advailability of electronic cigarettes.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to stay in touch.

And another:

Thank you for contacting me with you concerns about the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation of tobacco products. I appreciate hearing from you.

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act gives the FDA the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing and sale of tobacco products. Before the law was enacted, these products were exempt from basic consumer protections, such as ingredient disclosure, product testing, and restrictions on marketing to children.

Tobacco use is the number one preventable cause of death in America, killing more than 400,000 Americans every year and totaling $96 billion a year in health related costs. Tobacco use is the leading cause of cancer and cancer death, and also contributes substantially to chronic lung diseases such as emphysema and bronchitis, heart disease, pregnancy-related problems, and many other serious health problems.

There is no safe level of tobacco. We owe it to Americans, especially young people, to help them live healthier lives by curbing tobacco use. I understand that we may disagree on this issue, but your important is important to me, and I will keep it in mind should the Senate consider tobacco related legislation.

Thanks again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Unfortunately, he's a popular senator (who hasn't received my vote).

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas

Thank you for contacting me regarding the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058). I appreciate having the benefit of your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, Rep Tom Cole (R-OK-4) introduced the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058) on April 28, 2015. This legislation would change existing federal law to prevent the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) from subjecting premium cigars and vapor and electronic cigarette products to FDA premarket review by moving from the date a which a product must have been on the market to be grandfathered from FDA review from 2007 to the day the FDA finalizes its deeming regulation. H.R. 2058 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee for further review.

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009 gave the FDA the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products. Specifically, the law allows for regulation of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigarette tobacco, and roll your own tobacco. To regulate any other tobacco product, the FDA would have to issue a rule outlining how the product is within FDA's legal authority to regulate. The FDA issued such a proposed rule on April 24, 2014, adding e-cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco and several other products to those that the FDA would regulate. However, to date, the FDA has not yet finalized this rule.

I understand your concern over the impact the FDA's proposed deeming regulation could potentially have on both those who use premium cigars and electronic cigarettes, as well as those who produce them. I voted against the 2009 law, in part, because I feared FDA regulation - which is not appropriate because tobacco products are inherently dangerous and the FDA's mission is to ensure product safety- would inhibit the introduction of reduced risk tobacco products or products that could allow people to quit using tobacco products altogether, like e-cigarettes.

Although I do not serve on the House Energy and Commerce Committee which has jurisdiction over this issue, rest assured that I will keep your views in mind should the full House of Representatives consider any relevant legislation in the future.

Thank you again for contacting me. I appreciate having the opportunity to serve you in the United States House of Representatives. I encourage you to visit my website at www.hensarling.house.govwhere you can sign up for my e-newsletter. The website also provides links to my YouTube,Facebook, and Twitter pages, all of which will help bring my work in Washington, D.C., home to you.

Yours respectfully,

A

JEB HENSARLING

Member of Congress

JH/[Staffer.Initials]

Dear Mr. Muller:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important issue.

As you may know, on April 24, 2014, the FDA issued a proposed rule that would extend new regulatory authority to e-cigarettes and various other tobacco products, including cigars, pipe tobacco, and nicotine gels. Under the proposed rule, these products would be subject to controls such as registration and product listing requirements, prohibition on providing free samples, and restrictions on marketing products prior to FDA review. Moreover, the proposed regulations would use February 15, 2007, as the grandfather date for newly deemed products, as established under the Tobacco Control Act. The public comment period for this rule closed July 9, 2014, and a final rule was expected to be issued by June 2015.

On April 28, 2015, the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058) was in introduced in the House of Representatives. This legislation would change the grandfather date for newly deemed tobacco products from February 15, 2007, to the date on which the FDA’s regulations are finalized. H.R. 2058 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce for further consideration. Although no similar legislation has been introduced in the Senate, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind should relevant legislation be considered during the 114th Congress.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

Ted Cruz didn't respond, but he sure as sheets hit my inbox up twice a week looking for campaign donations.

I got the same email from Cornyn and responded with a comment that stated how I would not be supporting him in any further political campaign/venture. His canned response was typical of our 'Political Representation' and a slap in the face to the folks that helped him obtain his office.
I've also seen no statement that causes me to believe he supports vaping. So needless to say Cruz/Cornyn won't be elected to any office with my support.

Karen Powell

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2015
pasadena texas

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009 gave the FDA the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products. Specifically, the law allows for regulation of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigarette tobacco, and roll your own tobacco. To regulate any other tobacco product, the FDA would have to issue a rule outlining how the product is within FDA's legal authority to regulate. The FDA issued such a proposed rule on April 24, 2014, adding e-cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco and several other products to those that the FDA would regulate. However, to date, the FDA has not yet finalized this rule.

Yours respectfully,

A

JEB HENSARLING

Member of Congress

JH/[Staffer.Initials]

Dear Mr. Muller:

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

Don't feel bad. That's the exact same form letter I got from cruz. Just saved you from having to read the same thing twice.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Hmm sounds like he would not support it if his party was in the WH though.
And he never came out and said he supported vaping as a smoking alternative.
Just the party line and economics of it.
Good to have him support the bill if it comes up though, otherwise political rhetoric.

Except he probably wont be present for the vote, & his buddy will reach-over his desk and hit the NAY button, whilst dropping mayonnaise-slathered lettuce from his salami sandwich all-over his desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread