Long time smokers - do you still get bronchitus when you get sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikonGirl

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
Wonderland
www.goodreads.com
ok this may sound a little weird but I only had bronchitis 3 times, which was during every pregnancy. Some ppl got gestational diabetes, I got gestational bronchitis. Not sure if that really is a condition though, haha. I smoked for 20 years and didn't get my smokers cough til 6 weeks ago. It was a horrible hack that didnt go away after a cold I had caught. Went to the DR and he said it would never go away as long as I smoked. Started vaping 11 days ago and the hack and wheezing were gone on the second day.
My sinuses are clearing up too. They were always congested and my ears were pretty much clogged 24/7. I figured as long as I could blow my nose once a day to clear them for a few minutes, I could spare myself an ear infection. Add to that a daily sinus headache. For the past 7 days, my sinuses are clear and my ears are unclogged for most of the day. I only need to clear them in the morning. I no longer have the daily headaches either so I'm not popping 600-800mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours :D
My taste is coming back a little and I can smell a lot better. I breathe better too! I'm sure all of this will continue to improve in the next month or 2.

Needo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
Amarillo, Tx.
I am on my 2nd round of bronchitis while vaping. I'm not sure if it is related or not.. but I am very concerned as to whether or not it is inducing these breathing issues. People around me are saying it's related, but I'm not sure. I smoked for roughly 11 years, and started vaping around 7-8 months ago. Anyone else dealing with this?
I was curious if vaping makes you cough. I had to increase the VG content to make it easier on my lungs.

Just getting over being sick, this is the first time in 13 years that it did not turn into bronchitis/pneumonia . I do have asthma and I did have one very horrible asthma attack but I have only been vaping for a little over two weeks. Usually when I get sick it is 2-3 weeks of bronchitis and 2-3 months of daily asthma attacks. I can definitely say this sickness has been very mild compared to what I am used to.

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
In 25 years of smoking, I don't think that I ever caught a cold without it turning into bronchitis. After 10 months of vaping, I finally caught my first cold a couple weeks ago. Wow, what a difference! I did have to take Mucinex for three days to loosen the mucus but other than that, I sailed through the cold with a very small fraction of the hell I used to go through as a smoker. My lungs and bronchial tubes stayed as clear as crystal the entire time. And the best thing was that I could vape the entire time without ill effect ... that could never be said of analogs!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Wow....this thread started a long time ago....nice to see it is still relevant.....I have been sick once since I started vaping over a year ago....I had to go thru 2 rounds of antibiotics, but it was because of the strain of bacterial infection not my bodies inability to fight it....there were peope in the drs office whom had never smoked that were just as sick as me. It was close to broncitious(sp) but not quite.
I do have to say, althought I felt miserable, it was not as hard on my body as it used to be when I smoked.
The health advantages of vaping just seem to improve daily. I can really say that I now have my life back.....seriously a heavy smoker sometimes up to 4 packs a day. I had gotten to the point of believing that my time on this earth was seriously limited, given the way my health had started to go down hill......
I am so glad that I found ecigs......even if they are not 100% safe(yet to be determined) they are most definetly a lot safer than analogs.....
off my soap box now.....
happy vaping.....

:)

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Just a note - nicotine is a skin irritant and vaping is drying. 100% PG lets through the most nicotine irritation and may be the most drying. If you get your throat or lungs dry or irritated you make them more open to infection. If you get irritation use liquids with some VG in them which helps smooth irritation. If you are using excessive nicotine, cut it back. If you are using extreme LR or vaping 2 coils at once you could cut that back to one coil. And drink plenty of fluids. You can make vaping irritating but it doesn't have to be.

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
I used to get 2 really bad colds a year, spring and fall. In the past 7 months of vaping, I haven't had a single cold, flu, nothing. I smoked for almost 40 years so I know what I'm talking about.
The interesting thing is last week, just for the heck of it, I tried a cigarette. I almost got sick in the car, plus I hated the taste and smell. If God Himself told me "go back to smoking, I'll guarantee your health" I still wouldn't because of the smell and the taste and I just about "ate" Marlboro reds for years and years.
Vaping is an unbelievably good thing

Mythos

Nov 14, 2011
Virgimia
Its been 3 months since I quit smoking and I smoked anywhere from 1 1/2 pack to 3 packs a day depending on what I was doing that day. I no longer cough when I lay down at night, nor cough when I get up in the morning.

If I got a cold or the sniffles it would progressively get worst and I would cough for 3 months, seemed like I was sick all the time , now I am better after 48 hours.

I can breath now, and people tell me I sound different on the phone, my voice has changed it is now higher and I no longer cough when I laugh.

I wish I would have known about vaping years ago.

Gizmo42

Oct 29, 2011
Aurora, Co
I have a cold now and have a bit of bronchitis but I'm not completely off of analogs. I'm down from 2 packs a day to about 2 packs a week (I have a hard time with weekends). Much easier on the lungs and not nearly as bad as I usually get but I do have a sore throat. Part of that could be that the only juices I have are all PV. Unfortunately the ones I like arent available in a blend.

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
I got a nasty cold last year after a few months of vaping and ended up with bronchitis (never gone to the doctor for it, it clears after a few weeks). It wasn't as bad as it was when I was smoking though. I do attribute part of it to being around smokers a lot back then. Both my roommates smoked then (only 1 does now) and I would hang out with the smokers at work.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out this year. I usually get one bad cold a year and one mild one.

My smoker's cough is gone and I no longer have the weezing sound anymore. I'd only notice the weezing when trying to fall asleep. It's been 15 months since I've had a cigarette.

I have been vaping for two years and I haven't been sick at all. I just realized that this week when I had to reduced my vaping while visiting family members for Christmas who politely asked me not to vape in their house or around them. Within two days of restricting my vaping to just before bed, or when I was alone, I got a sinus cold. I immediately starting vaping full time again and the cold only lasted three days. I used to get a cold at least once a year, and they almost always lasted for about a week, and often went into my lungs. I vape 18mg menthol red label from TW, which I think is 100% PG. I never vape anything else. I vape almost constantly, all day, every day, even at my desk at work. I immediately started wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, and it looks like others have. I guess that is one more reason why I am glad I switched to vaping after 15 years of smoking and why I will never quit. I LOVE VAPING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread