Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I cut my coffee down from eight or ten cups a day when I got out of IT. I still have my daily three, 16oz cups, and vape my way through all of them, morning cups and after dinner cup. Some afternoons I'll have a 16oz cup of tea as well. I stopped soda about ten years before I started vaping, so I don't get any caffeine from that either. Overall, no real change since I got off of tobacco.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
There have been some people to suggest, in drug abuse circles, that you get more addicted to a substance if you combine it with smoking, and potentially more addicted to smoking as well. Your mind associates the two things with each other, which has a synergistic effect in not only effects of the drugs, but in the strength of addiction. Cup of coffee with a cigarette, a cigarette immediately after consuming various illegal drugs, chain smoking while drinking, that sort of thing. Very common behavior for pretty much all smokers who also consume drugs (Whether they be legal or not doesn't matter)

Now that you have quit smoking it's possible that you have reduced the addictive qualities of coffee, or the pleasure you get from coffee, so you drink less of it. Makes sense to me.

It could also be that you are getting more nicotine now than when smoking, which acts as a stimulant, so you don't crave the stimulant properties of coffee.

razor4432

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wisconsin
I used to pound down energy drinks like there's no tomorrow. Would have 3 or 4 a day along with a travel mug of coffee before work. Maybe have 3 energy drinks a week now though I do still have the coffee before work. I'm not sure if I really like it when vaping though, just not the same. My take on it is the smoke and countless other chemicals made the coffee taste better/different and we just don't get that when vaping.

Doesn't bother me, saving more money on top of not buying ciggies since I'm not buying $3 energy drinks anymore for the most part.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I still drink just as much coffee in the morning but I don't drink much soda during the day anymore. I'm usually too busy drinking enough water to keep up with vaping and don't have room left for the soda. lol I only have a drink of soda when it hits my throat hard.

Thats's pretty much what happened to me too. Not a bad thing tho.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I have not cut my coffee; still have a big cup or two in the am, but I was never an all day coffee/tea drinker. What has changed (positive as I see it) was I never really liked plain water. Now with my vaping I find plain water is the best drink around. I sometimes flavor with a little lemon or lime, but now I drink so much more plain water and my body is thanking me for it (won't go into regulation details).

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
There have been some people to suggest, in drug abuse circles, that you get more addicted to a substance if you combine it with smoking, and potentially more addicted to smoking as well. Your mind associates the two things with each other, which has a synergistic effect in not only effects of the drugs, but in the strength of addiction. Cup of coffee with a cigarette, a cigarette immediately after consuming various illegal drugs, chain smoking while drinking, that sort of thing. Very common behavior for pretty much all smokers who also consume drugs (Whether they be legal or not doesn't matter)

Now that you have quit smoking it's possible that you have reduced the addictive qualities of coffee, or the pleasure you get from coffee, so you drink less of it. Makes sense to me.

It could also be that you are getting more nicotine now than when smoking, which acts as a stimulant, so you don't crave the stimulant properties of coffee.

I think this makes a lot of sense but surely it's the nicotine in smoking that gets people addicted? If we're still getting the nicotine, we would still crave the caffeine?

How much nicotine we're getting compared to cigarettes is a tricky one too. I heard we absorb less nicotine than by smoking. If I smoked 1mg rollups and 20 a day of them, and now use 1.5ml of 11mg juice, surely I'd be on less?

Its a really weird one isn't it?

I think a large part of it for me is habit. It was always 'a cup of tea and a ...' (a colloquial British term for a cigarette and in no means intended as a derogatory term against any demographic!). My best friend and I would drink as many cups of tea as cigarettes we would smoke whilst visiting one another and there were times when it could be literally continuous. The act of making tea was as much a part of having a cigarette as smoking it.

Boy, I miss my caffeine! I feel like such a sell-out! If it wasn't bad enough that I'm weening myself off nicotine, I'm weening myself off caffeine! I'm gonna need a new vice...x

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Cigarette nicotine (e.g., 1 mg) is nominal absorbed, the actual tobacco has around 8 -10x as much nicotine in it.

Eliquid nicotine is source. Best guess, limited published test data, experienced vapers with decent equipment are absorbing around 1/5 (20%) of it. Experience (inhale technique) & equipment will vary that number, but it provides a benchmark.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I think this makes a lot of sense but surely it's the nicotine in smoking that gets people addicted? If we're still getting the nicotine, we would still crave the caffeine?

How much nicotine we're getting compared to cigarettes is a tricky one too. I heard we absorb less nicotine than by smoking. If I smoked 1mg rollups and 20 a day of them, and now use 1.5ml of 11mg juice, surely I'd be on less?

Its a really weird one isn't it?

I think a large part of it for me is habit. It was always 'a cup of tea and a ...' (a colloquial British term for a cigarette and in no means intended as a derogatory term against any demographic!). My best friend and I would drink as many cups of tea as cigarettes we would smoke whilst visiting one another and there were times when it could be literally continuous. The act of making tea was as much a part of having a cigarette as smoking it.

Boy, I miss my caffeine! I feel like such a sell-out! If it wasn't bad enough that I'm weening myself off nicotine, I'm weening myself off caffeine! I'm gonna need a new vice...x

There's a lot more in cigarettes than just nicotine, there are various alkaloids that act like antidepressants, for instance. Consuming just nicotine isn't the same as consuming all the various chemicals in cigarettes, which is partly why smoking is so hard to quit, because replacements don't always replace everything that you miss from smoking. This is the reason why some antidepressants are used off-label to help quit smoking, like wellbutrin, which also has stimulant effects in higher doses btw, and it acts a little differently than most antidepressants.

Some people could very well simply be addicted to nicotine, where as other people may become smokers because it helps them regulate their emotional state due to the antidepressant qualities of some alkaloids in tobacco. Think of someone who takes actual antidepressant pills, they aren't supposed to just stop taking them, but that's exactly what smokers do when they quit smoking, which can contribute to their distemper while quitting, and explain why regular nicotine replacement therapy doesn't work, because it's not the nicotine they really needed.

There are a lot of variables involved obviously so it's hard to say what's going on with a specific person.

On the subject of how much nicotine is being absorbed, that also varies by quite a bit. Some vapers might only be getting trace amounts of nicotine actually absorbed into their bloodstream while others may be getting way more than when they smoked.

Personally, I'm pretty sure I'm getting way more nicotine now. I chain vape almost all day, and at least a few times a week I generally get a slight headache or feel sick because of a slight nicotine OD, as I vape past the point of simply being satisfied, because the juice tastes so good ;)

I've had high blood pressure for years which is bad considering I'm not really at the age where high blood pressure is normal, so I test mine at home with a meter somewhat frequently. After switching to vaping my blood pressure on average has gone up, which I assume is due to me getting far more nicotine than I used to with cigarettes. The few times I've slipped up and smoked real ciggs I would generally smoke 2-3 in a row because I didn't get the nic fix I was expecting, something I never did when I was a smoker, one cig and I was done for at the very least 30min.

So it really all depends on a lot of factors, so I was just bringing it up as a possibility for the OP. It's up to them to figure out if it matches their own personal experience.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Seriously, tho.
I've come to "that age" and it seems coffee sparks hot flashes so 1 cup is all I can take.

Hubby has cut himself off after lunch, but it's because he was having trouble sleeping, not that he doesn't want it, and he's been vaping only 2 days less than me. (4 years in April)

That in itself may be the deciding factor and not have anything to do with vaping at all. I just thought it strange how many younger women and also men have also cut back, so thought I'd add my:2c:

Also, I just don't feel the "need" for another cup after my first. So I dunno.

We play computer games sometimes on weekends and would put a "raid pot" in a thermos decanter on the desk so we didn't miss any of the action. I still have the directions on a sticky on my wall right here ("For raids: 2/3 C sugar, 2/3 Cup creamer")
Should probably pull that off the wall now. It's been over a year since I've made one. :oops:

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
Hmmmm... so if I'm getting more nicotine now than I was by smoking, it's not like I'm 'failing'? It's just higher temporarily to replace these alkaloids? Ok, that makes me feel a lot better! I was just worried that I hadn't taken the great leaps forward I had imagined.

The idiotic thing is that I knew about these alkaloids and didn't put the two together to see the real achievement.

I think I'm obsessing too much about reducing my nic intake and how pretty my graphs look...lol!x

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
I've gone back to an earlier thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...1560-just-how-much-nicotine-am-i-getting.html where I was told that only 10% of nicotine is absorbed by smoking...How is it then that I had to start on 18mg to avoid the cravings? Why did I have to jump up so high?x

That 10%is the 1 mg, for tobacco that actually has 10 mg source in the leaf inside the cig tube.

Smoking 20/day means up to 20 mg of nicotine, though typically you won't smoke alk the way to the end.

Vaping, if absorbing 20%, 5 ml/day of 18 mg/ml would mean absorbing about 18 mg.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Look for the November 2011 letter by jf etter. It showed measured cotinine levels in experienced vapers using 18mg/ml, 5 "refills" per day comparable to smokers. It had an ecf thread by rolygate, IIRC, with a link in it around page 8 to the full letter.

(etter did a prior published study, years earlier, measuring cotinine levels in smokers. Both the newer letter and the older paper are pdf, can be found online.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread