Status
Not open for further replies.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Holy. Freakin. Cow. I've got my left hand wrapped around my freshly delivered lava tube while my right one types. Feels solid in the hand, not cheap feeling at all. Lucky Leprechan at 4.2 volts is amazing.The vapor output is outstanding. And the taste? Well.. I never knew it tasted THAT good. So anybody that wants this, don't hesitate. For $100 and a years warranty it's a steal. If you want a Provari, buy that. Bottom line is to buy what makes you personally happy.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Been watching the Lavatube intro closely.

The only worry I have with it is the electronics. Friends who have received one note that the boost regulator they use voltage-sags under load. It's possible the electronics are not rated high enough for the current being drawn.

That being said, the regulator is possibly inefficient, or overtaxed and below spec.

The result may be shorter battery run times, or electronics failure over time.

This doesn't happen with the Provari or Darwin.

Depending on who you are, and your personal vaping habits, this may or may not be important to you.

XKingXGregX

Moved On
Mar 19, 2011
hartford, ct
Just to clarify, I'm not here to knock any product. I do believe that the pro-vari is a good unit, and yes it has stood up to the test of time. I still think it is over priced. That was the point I was making, that's all.

I also said I own and love my Darwin, that was an expensive Mod. It functions great, and is easy to use, but it's limited to atty options because of its build. Even if I put an ego adapter on it, I can't use a ego style atty on it, simply because then I can't shut it off without removing the atty, which is a serious flaw IMHO.

As for my Lava Tube, I've owned it for about 5 weeks, it's a solid unit, runs great, and allows me to use any atty, carto, or tank mod I so choose to use. Sure it's not made from steel, and sure it could break, but so can any unit on the market. I'm all about buying Canadain / US made products. Which is exactly why I buy FSUSA products regularly, all of my juice, and most of my hardware here.

If a US or Canadain company made a similar device, with a lower retail value, I would have bought that instead. I just can't justify spening over twice the price for a product that does the same thing.

u say the provaris too expensive but doesnt the darwin cost more?

XKingXGregX

Moved On
Mar 19, 2011
hartford, ct
Holy. Freakin. Cow. I've got my left hand wrapped around my freshly delivered lava tube while my right one types. Feels solid in the hand, not cheap feeling at all. Lucky Leprechan at 4.2 volts is amazing.The vapor output is outstanding. And the taste? Well.. I never knew it tasted THAT good. So anybody that wants this, don't hesitate. For $100 and a years warranty it's a steal. If you want a Provari, buy that. Bottom line is to buy what makes you personally happy.

who makes lucky leprechan i forget where i saw that, shamrock shake flavor right?
welcome to the world of high voltage

Last edited:

vikki59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA the North Bay!
I was between Lavatube - mass-market Chinese made, flimsy, poor output (Boge LR goes up to 5v then the regulator drops the voltage down without telling you) - versus the NotCigs Infinity Pro - on a Phil Busardo endorsement offered with batteries and charger for just 10 dollars more than the LavaTube, American hand-made, chrome body, 15 watts output, solid and reassuringly chunky.

The Infinity won :vapor:

+1 for notcigs vv mods.
The only diff is they don't have the digital reading on it, but it is a solid wheel vv mod and at a good price right now. Just bought a ip for $125.60 out the door. That is w/4 batt's and charger. They also have an option for custom engraving!! For me that is the best "Bang for my Buck"

Edit: mine is purple :)

Last edited:

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
+1 for notcigs vv mods.
The only diff is they don't have the digital reading on it, but it is a solid wheel vv mod and at a good price right now. Just bought a ip for $125.60 out the door. That is w/4 batt's and charger. They also have an option for custom engraving!! For me that is the best "Bang for my Buck"

Edit: mine is purple :)

I have an Infinity and Infinity Pro. I love them. The Buzz Pro was highly recommended, but I went with the Infinity Pro. It is the same as the Buzz Pro internally, uses protected batteries, is slimmer and a little longer than the Buzz Pro. I was really interested in the ProVari before getting it, mostly for the LED display. Everyone kept telling me how it is better using the thumb wheel and the digital displays are overrated. I was skeptical, but I have found that I like the thumb wheel. It is marked, so you know where to put it, when you add your favorite accessory. I got a LED meter for the top, and have only used it once. People were right, I really didn't need it and don't miss it (as a voltage meter). I do like the idea of having the battery meter on a mod. I haven't had the need, since my Infinity Pro lasts me almost 2 days on a charge, and I just change the batteries once a day. But, I still think it would be nice to have, but isn't needed. I got my Infinity Pro, 4 batteries and the charger for $119. It was a great deal, and worth every penny. I highly recommend it. It has a solid construction, good design and NotCigs has great customer service.

I have many friends in the forums who have a ProVari. They all love their ProVari. I have seen people complain about it failing on them after little use, but ProVapes took good care of them. It is probably one of the most popular mods. I even see stores showing off their items in videos, using a ProVari... while they sell other devices.

The first time I have ever heard of the LavaTube, was from this thread. I went over and checked out the youtube reviews. I'm not really impressed, but then again, I already have a mod I love. The lavatube just looks cheap, difficult to use and wide. Yet, that is just the way it looks. It could be very solid. I've never held one.

All that being said, the Buzz/Infinity and ProVari have been around, as have many other VV mods. People who own them, love them. There are many different options out there, and these aren't the only ones. But, these are great VV mods!

As good as the lavatube could be, I can't see it being any better than these -- tried and tested devices -- and you never know if it is cheap internally. I think there are many other alternatives, that are great also. My recommendation, go with what works and works well. There are many great VV mods, that are loved by their users. Several are around $100. More expensive ones can be found used for that price. Just let them know that LordDavon sent you. ;-)

Maybe I am off my rocker. It's just my 2 cents.

SirPluto

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I have to agree with LordDavon. I currently have the buzz pro and absolutely love it! Good solid construction, but still very light. You don't need all that fancy stuff on the provari. Honestly you shouldn't be worried about what exact voltage you are vaping at. It should all be about taste. What I love about the buzz pro is being able to change your voltage on the fly. If your carto isn't wicking very well at the moment you can turn the power down a bit. If you just filed up your carto you can crank up the power and get that extra juice vaped up then turn it down and vape happily. You can also zero in on that perfect vaping voltage very easily instead of having to push a button a bunch of times just to find out you went "too far" and have to go back. I probably adjust my voltage 10-15 times a day just depending on how everything is tasting. I saved about $100 over the provari and to me it seems much much easier to use. An absolutely amazing product! Check it out before pushing the buy button on that provari.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
this is an excellent informational thread. we need more like them. at times it doesn't matter if it is a product we here at FSUSA sell, it is more about people discussing what is their best options no matter who sells it. bravo!!! keep it up!!!

You know David... this is the ultimate compliment to FSUSA. Just look at all of the experienced vapors, in this thread, that still call FSUSA home. :)

phishhed27

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
Berwyn/Chi-Town.Il.
This is MY opinion.....
I just received my lavatube today....first I thought as i took it out of the oackaging,wow this is pretty nice.
Then as I was inserting the battery,the plastic battery cap came RIGHT OFF the aluminum bottom piece that holds the spring.
My second thought...you get what you pay for,you can tell its a mass produced chinese mod...but with some superglue,i reattached the plastic bottom to the aluminum spring housing.
Ok then I tried to see if an AW 18650 battery would fit...neither the button topped one would fit,neither would the flat top AW 2900Mah...it would fit either battery...so I just slipped a black oring over the bottom cap to act as a spacer,and both AW 18650 batts then fit...and you cant even see the oring cuz everythings black.(I opted to use the 2900mah flat top for longer life)
Theni I threw on a jtank with a boge SR 3ohm carto...and started vaping away....except for the loose jiggly voltage control buttons,it seems like a pretty solid build.
I have to say that I REALLY like it,and its WAY lighter than the Provari...but its pretty long,with either an atty,carto,or tank,becuz it houses an 18650 battery.
If they were gonna copy the provari...they should of done the same bottom cap design...that if you want to use a bigger battery,you buy an extension battery cap(it woulda been more revenue for the company too by having an accessory to sell).
I prefer using my chrome provari in it 18500 mode cuz it shortens the overall length once youve put on a tank or whatever yer gonna use.

Ok now the provari...its DEFINITELY a better made PV...once you hold it in yer hand,youll feel the difference RIGHT AWAY.
Its made from SS instead of thinner Aluminum,so its gonna last ALOT longer most likely....BUT,because it SS it alot heavier,so it may not be the most pocket friendly PV....but the Lavatube tho being much lighter,its longer,so it may not be the BEST either...so both have their drawbacks to being a all day pocket carrying device...but thats personal preferance.
So all in all,the Lavatube IS worth the money...you cant beat $63 shipped for a VV tube mod,and under $90 shipped for the whole it(battery,atty,charger,case)
BUT,if you only want to buy ONE,the old saying rings true...."buy the best that you afford right from the start" cuz when you buy cheap,itll just end up making you want more...and even tho the provari makes you cycle thru the menu(which becomes second nature within yer first few uses),it offers more functions that the Lavatube doesnt...and the Provaris fit and finish is WAY better(like they say,and I said b4,you get what you pay for).

So,if you can afford it,I say stick with the tried and true provari(the lavatube is still too new to know its durability...if its like every other china cheapy,im sure itll break eventually,like a wires solder point breaking,or something similar).
Ya cant go wrong with the provari cuz you have any problems with it,you have somewhere to call,you can just send it in for repairs,I serioiusy doubt the lavatube would be worth fixing if it broke...its kinda along the mentality of,what do you do with yer 510/901/801/ego batts when they stop working? Ya toss em....thats pretty much how i feel about the lavatube(and im sure the manufacturers think that too,thats why its pricing is right along the line of an ego kit,maybe a LIL more,but PRETTY much in the same price range)
I saw what the lavatubes sell for in bulk,about $35,so im sure you can get the idea of what the internals look like,and how sturdy theyre put together.

I WILL be keeping my lavatube,even tho I own a provari....cuz if I left the house,and I wanted a VV tube mod,id grab the lavatube without thinking twice about it cuz it was so.cheap,i could care less if I drop it or if it gets a lil beat up(or worse,I lost it or somebody stole it)..i would be ...... if anything happend to my provari.

So there it is...now the choice is up to you which one to buy.GLWP,youll be happy wither EITHER device...really.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
This is MY opinion.....
I just received my lavatube today....first I thought as i took it out of the oackaging,wow this is pretty nice.
Then as I was inserting the battery,the plastic battery cap came RIGHT OFF the aluminum bottom piece that holds the spring.
My second thought...you get what you pay for,you can tell its a mass produced chinese mod...but with some superglue,i reattached the plastic bottom to the aluminum spring housing.
Ok then I tried to see if an AW 18650 battery would fit...neither the button topped one would fit,neither would the flat top AW 2900Mah...it would fit either battery...so I just slipped a black oring over the bottom cap to act as a spacer,and both AW 18650 batts then fit...and you cant even see the oring cuz everythings black.(I opted to use the 2900mah flat top for longer life)
Theni I threw on a jtank with a boge SR 3ohm carto...and started vaping away....except for the loose jiggly voltage control buttons,it seems like a pretty solid build.
I have to say that I REALLY like it,and its WAY lighter than the Provari...but its pretty long,with either an atty,carto,or tank,becuz it houses an 18650 battery.
If they were gonna copy the provari...they should of done the same bottom cap design...that if you want to use a bigger battery,you buy an extension battery cap(it woulda been more revenue for the company too by having an accessory to sell).
I prefer using my chrome provari in it 18500 mode cuz it shortens the overall length once youve put on a tank or whatever yer gonna use.

Ok now the provari...its DEFINITELY a better made PV...once you hold it in yer hand,youll feel the difference RIGHT AWAY.
Its made from SS instead of thinner Aluminum,so its gonna last ALOT longer most likely....BUT,because it SS it alot heavier,so it may not be the most pocket friendly PV....but the Lavatube tho being much lighter,its longer,so it may not be the BEST either...so both have their drawbacks to being a all day pocket carrying device...but thats personal preferance.
So all in all,the Lavatube IS worth the money...you cant beat $63 shipped for a VV tube mod,and under $90 shipped for the whole it(battery,atty,charger,case)
BUT,if you only want to buy ONE,the old saying rings true...."buy the best that you afford right from the start" cuz when you buy cheap,itll just end up making you want more...and even tho the provari makes you cycle thru the menu(which becomes second nature within yer first few uses),it offers more functions that the Lavatube doesnt...and the Provaris fit and finish is WAY better(like they say,and I said b4,you get what you pay for).

So,if you can afford it,I say stick with the tried and true provari(the lavatube is still too new to know its durability...if its like every other china cheapy,im sure itll break eventually,like a wires solder point breaking,or something similar).
Ya cant go wrong with the provari cuz you have any problems with it,you have somewhere to call,you can just send it in for repairs,I serioiusy doubt the lavatube would be worth fixing if it broke...its kinda along the mentality of,what do you do with yer 510/901/801/ego batts when they stop working? Ya toss em....thats pretty much how i feel about the lavatube(and im sure the manufacturers think that too,thats why its pricing is right along the line of an ego kit,maybe a LIL more,but PRETTY much in the same price range)
I saw what the lavatubes sell for in bulk,about $35,so im sure you can get the idea of what the internals look like,and how sturdy theyre put together.

I WILL be keeping my lavatube,even tho I own a provari....cuz if I left the house,and I wanted a VV tube mod,id grab the lavatube without thinking twice about it cuz it was so.cheap,i could care less if I drop it or if it gets a lil beat up(or worse,I lost it or somebody stole it)..i would be ...... if anything happend to my provari.

So there it is...now the choice is up to you which one to buy.GLWP,youll be happy wither EITHER device...really.

This is a great balanced post.

I'm in a quandary regarding the two. Either buy a Lavatube today, or wait until 2012 to get a second Provari. No decision has been made. Been wanting a second Provari for a while since for my personal needs it just seems perfect.

Also agree about using the Provari in 18490/500 mode. It's far more enjoyable in short mode. Most people can skip buying the extension cap initially. The short mode gets me through most if the day anyway, so pocketing an extra battery is no problem.

Probably, both a new Provari and a Lavatube will end up in the collection. Right now the only mods I use daily are the Provari and an Empire Mod. And I have no problem recommending either of these to anyone. But that Lavatube... it's compelling :)

At the same time.. it's not a USA product.

Grrrrr... I'm not sure what the choice will be... Grrrrrr.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Let's see.$50 for a unit that works very well or $200 for a unit that gives error codes? You can't seriously be asking this question.

Well, the reason for the amperage limit seems apparent to me. Ramping an atomizer up too high can possibly create Acrolein from VG or other unwanted chemicals from flavoring. At 280c Acrolein is created. A standard 2.4 ohm atty at a nominal 3.7 maxes out at 185c. Drop that to 1.5 ohms, at greater than 4.0 volts and the temperature increase is quite apparent- and possibly dangerous.

The error code is there for reason. You can always run higher ohm dual coils at higher voltages.

From Wikipedia:

Acrolein is a severe pulmonary irritant and lachrymatory agent. It was used as a chemical weapon during World War I. It is, however, not outlawed by the Chemical Weapons Convention. Dermal exposure of acrolein to the eyes (0.3ppm in air) can cause severe irritation. Acrolein is not a suspected human carcinogen; no studies have been conducted on the carcinogenic effects of acrolein on humans, but studies on rats have shown an increase in cancerous tumors from ingestion.[citation needed] In October 2006, researchers found connections between acrolein in the smoke from tobacco cigarettes and the risk of lung cancer.[4] Furthermore, acrolein is a possible metabolite of cyclophosphamide, a cytotoxic chemotherapy agent, and results in hemorrhagic cystitis.[5] N-acetylcysteine or mesna are used to counteract the acrolein.
Due to its ability to damage myelin nerve sheaths, acrolein may be a factor in the development of multiple sclerosis. The antihypertensive drug hydralazine, a known scavenger of acrolein, was found to reduce myelin damage and significantly improve behavioral outcomes in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis (experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis).[6]

EPA method 603 is designed to measure acrolein in industrial and municipal wastewater streams.[7]

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
Well, the reason for the amperage limit seems apparent to me. Ramping an atomizer up too high can possibly create Acrolein from VG or other unwanted chemicals from flavoring. At 280c Acrolein is created. A standard 2.4 ohm atty at a nominal 3.7 maxes out at 185c. Drop that to 1.5 ohms, at greater than 4.0 volts and the temperature increase is quite apparent- and possibly dangerous.

The error code is there for reason. You can always run higher ohm dual coils at higher voltages.

From Wikipedia:
So does that mean the maker of the device is making the choice on what may or may not be good for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread