Ended It's the ECF 15th Birthday Giveaway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    1677301942202.png

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    On VU there are currently 17 members logged in and 186 guests.

Currently there are 15 members logged in and 289 guests here.
    doesn't bode all that well for either forum then - nothing like the earlier days ....................

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    doesn't bode all that well for either forum then - nothing like the earlier days ....................
    It's the same with the Planet of the Vapes (UK) and ECIGSSA (S. Africa) forums. I'm a member on those as well.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I don't see web forums as dying. There are several popular web forums that see very high traffic with daily users numbering in the millions. Those have a much wider focus and range of topics. Vape forums have a very narrow focus.

Vape forums have always been small fish (if you will) in the forum community. As of 2021 there were an estimated 68-82 million people vaping. How many of those are active on vape forums? A very small percentage.

Lets be honest, vaping is not something we would recommend for someone who has never smoked. Those folks should be told to maintain healthy lifestyles.

Growing any vape forum is all about attracting analog smokers who desire a healthier alternative. How we reach those folks has been made much more difficult by the media and governments spreading misinformation.

FWIW, I am not saying vaping is healthy. The jury is still out on that. Healthier versus analogs, I believe so, as do many who vape. Only two countries actively promote vaping. The UK and New Zealand.

As I see it, members of vape forums should be more engaged with vaping topics. There are a healthy number of members on each of the vaping forums who are not engaged, for whatever reasons, with vaping topics.

ECF, and the other vape forums, are what their collective memberships make of them.

The vape forums will never be as popular as forums hosting wider ranging topics. Will a few of the less popular vape forums fold and die? Yes, they will. Forums come and go.

While I, sort of jokingly, said ECF and VU will marry and become one, part of me was not joking. Could that happen? Anything is possible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Vape forums have a very narrow focus.

Vape forums have always been small fish (if you will) in the forum community.

Lets be honest, vaping is not something we would recommend for someone who has never smoked...

Growing any vape forum is all about attracting analog smokers who desire a healthier alternative. How we reach those folks has been made much more difficult by the media and governments spreading misinformation.

FWIW, I am not saying vaping is healthy.

As I see it, members of vape forums should be more engaged with vaping topics.

ECF, and the other vape forums, are what their collective memberships make of them.

Many good points there to agree with.

Some people never use the internet for anything except work and shopping, won't ever use it for "social" in any way, so a single subject forum like this will never have the reach of something like a Reddit.

I see the highest purpose of a vaping forum as attracting newbies trying to quit cigarettes by helping them discover vaping, and after that mutual support among vapers.

The forum is for troll slaying, and for fighting government anti-vaping propaganda. I wonder what percentage of new members are here to suggest that vaping kills you or disables you or destroys your health. There are an awful lot of those "hit and run" who whomp up a new user account and posit some ridiculous argument, never to be heard from again. "My vaping killed my cat". "I started vaping and now I'm in the hospital!' "My doctor says vaping is worse than smoking".

We don't declare that vaping is healthy. We declare it is smoking harm reduction, but I believe it actually saves lives. It saved my life. I was on my way to an early grave, like my dad who died of emphysema, like my uncle who died of emphysema.

We don't recommend vaping to those who never smoked. I never, ever have seen forum users putting out such a thing as that. I am saddened sometimes to discover that a young person who never smoked has taken up vaping, but then I know that without it, that same person might have taken up smoking cigarettes, and sometimes they vape flavors without nicotine. Young people will try stuff they think is cool, and some young people just will engage in risk taking behavior. We can't fool-proof the world for them, and I don't want to see vaping medicalized to keep it out of their hands (prescription only, taken over by pharma). It's enough that it's illegal to sell vape supplies to the underage.

But on one of your points, I disagree. I like the community aspect of this and the other vaping forum. There are non-vaping threads, but they're related because we share our lives in a way, and our interests. Here at ECF, I don't care for the "Outside" stuff. VU has something similar that I've never explored, but the music, photography, humor and cooking threads are fun, and keep people coming back, people who don't otherwise do social media. I started a "diet tips and tricks" thread that has some engagement. I started it because miraculously I didn't gain weight by quitting cigarettes with vaping, so vaping is my number one diet trick. It launched from there. I'm about to post a short video of a skateboarding cat on the infamous "petition" thread on ECF that got taken over by funny animal enthusiasts. Here and on VU, we who don't care for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and the other government spying so called "social media" can enjoy some of that online social interaction.

On the other hand, on both forums it's the mixing/measuring, vape liquid recipes, DIY, product show and tell, and rebulding threads that go on and on for thousands of pages. I don't see any lack of engagement with vaping topics or solid, helpful information for new and experienced vapers.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Here at ECF, I don't care for the "Outside" stuff. VU has something similar that I've never explored,
    The VU admins shutdown their version of the Outside a good while back. It was in The Mud Pit and it got messy. The 267 threads are still there (but read only).

But on one of your points, I disagree. I like the community aspect of this and the other vaping forum.
    I didn't mean what I said as a negative in any way. Many here, including myself, are active participants in the Lounge style threads. Those threads are all good. No negatives whatsoever.

I get it, once many folks are up and running with vaping and gear they really don't post much on the vape sides of the forums. And that's not a negative either.

Perhaps I could have worded that part better in my post. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread