Is anyone going back to temp control

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I've been a fan since shortly after Evolv rolled it out, and use temp-limiting roughly 80% of the time. It is especially nice with squonk devices to prevent dry hits, but my main reason is an additional layer of harm reduction, which was one of Evolv's primary reasons for developing the tech...

By preventing the coil from becoming too hot regardless of fluid, wicking or airflow, a variety of
undesirable situations can be prevented. For example, appropriate temperature settings will prevent the
wicking material from charring, which compromises taste and introduces unintended chemicals into the
vapor. Appropriate temperature settings will also reduce the breakdown of flavoring and base liquid
components, which could impact taste or safety

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    During a day it's 50-50, I use a lot of cheap mods outdoors, indoors it's mostly dicodes in tc I use.
    If I had found suitable cheap tc mods for outdoor use I would have probably been 100% tc, there is nothing that beats a smooth vape.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Like @Tor R, I'm about 50/50.

My DNA and Dicode's mods all run TC. Other regulated mods run TC under Arctic Fox. My Asmodus mods run TC very well (with a properly tweaked TCR setting). The rest of my regulated mods run in simple wattage mode.

However, I will always enjoy vaping on my mechs, squonking and dripping. My mechs see a lot of use.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Started vaping 8 years ago using TC and still do. I started with an Evic Mini, and moved on to DNA mods with the release of Evolv's escribe.

Seven or eight years ago it was TC on an Evic VTC Mini for me, and then I moved on to DNA mods.

That Evic VTC Mini is still going strong despite being a little beat-up with some missing paint. The display is still bright!!! It's had Arctic Fox on it ever since I found out about AF.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Vaporesso was my entry into TC capable mods @Tor R with the Switcher, and Vaporesso may not be class leading when it comes to TC but they do a good job.

I think health cabin has the Target 100 at $24 if anyone is looking for a cheap reasonable TC capable mod.

Update, health cabin posted recently a 20% off code in the forum.

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2020
    AZ
    I use stainless and/or kanthal coils and think they taste better (and are arguably safer) than nickel based wires. For stainless, I gave up on temp control as it was just too erratic. No TC supported for Kanthal.

I haven't really missed TC, but lots of folks get along with it perfectly. That said, the best experience I had was with the dicodes chip and their specific branded wire. Not my thing, but it was dead on all the time and never failed! Good luck on your choice. AD

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Actually I never STOPPED using Temperature control.

With the right: mod, WIRE and build IMHO it provides a superior and more consistent vaping experience over other methods.

I went from VV with Nautilus type gear to TC with RTA's in 2014. ~2019 I added TC regulated Squankers to the mix.

All but my CopperVape Mech mod use TC to vape with.

(check my profile image - all but the CopperVape use TC)

g.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Never tried temp control but if i could set it so first 1seconds its like 100watt then it drops off after that 1second to like 70watt just to warm my coils up quickly cause of mass i can do this with TC tho?

I know it can be kind of done with Evolv DNA and YiHi chipsets, no ideas about Dicodes though as no experience with them.

But hopefully someone can answer that question.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    if i could set it so first 1seconds its like 100watt then it drops off after that 1second to like 70watt just to warm my coils up quickly cause of mass i can do this with TC tho?
    Yes you can do EXACTLY that
    Evolv DNA you can set watts, temperature, preheat and punch.
    For starters the Temperature you set is a LIMIT. The maximum that should not be exceeded. You can ride that limit line, like many do and I did in the beginning but no longer.
    So here are definitions for each.
    Watts - Maximum # of watts you're allowing the mod to put out (what you would normally use)
    Temperature - Maximum temperature your mod should not exceed.
    Preheat - Amount of watts to use to quickly start heating the coil (100 in your case) before ending preheat
    Punch - On color mods (1-11) value or temperature TO STOP all preheat parameters
    On non color mods just 1-11 TO STOP all preheat parameters.
    The higher that punch value, the closer to that Temperature Set.

DNA mods use straight DC output and give a smooth line.
    Yihi mods use PWM. A rapid watts on off, rinse and repeat.

Edit: ON DNA mods IF you decide to ride that limited temp line, once you reach that limit, the mod will lower the watts (sometimes quite drastically) to maintain the temperature.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Historically...

I think Evolve was the first and then followed by YiHi and then everybody else. By ~2016 most regulated mods on the market had some form of "TC" on them however many other than Evolve, YiHi and Dicodes had/have very crappy implementation's of TC.

Some were mere 'temperature limiters' and others sort of "pulsed" on/off while you were drawing on your mod. Many (other than the 3 mentioned) were unable to regulate SS (which is IMHO really crappy wire to attempt to TC regulate to begin with)

Many users bought cheap/crappy mods and attempted to regulate SS with them (which almost always never worked right) and gave up and switched back to wattage mode.

There were a number of companies using chipsets that 'alternative firmware' could be loaded and could vastly improve the TC vaping experience.

Generally I think most users today are ether using pod or disposables and the majority of the rest are using wattage mode.

In the dozen or more vape shops still open in my area it is nary impossible to find anything rebuildable or with replaceable batteries.

I'm glad I stocked up years ago.

g.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I think Evolve was the first

:thumb:

Then there were those who felt that watts, not volts, tasted better. Long, did they battle. ;)

KD_Toes-Darwin_2014-07-28 17.12.59.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread