New to Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

emiTAtAyaDenO

Apr 15, 2017
New York
Hi there everyone. I'm new to temperature control. I want to start using temp control too. I know how to build coils so that would not be an issue, plus I know that I'll need to use stainless steel or nickel etc. I just don't understand how if I use it with my rda that it will eliminate dry hits if I never let my cotton get too dry. Also if I usually set my wattage to my sweet spot @ 65 watts and do the same in temp control, what would be the difference, temp control or not. I know that I need to be educated on temp control. Can anyone suggest reading material or videos for me to get fully educated on temp control? Thanks a million :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladiekali

Boompumper

Verified Member
Apr 4, 2017
Southern California
It's pretty simple, in wattage mode the temperature of your coil is regulated by your liquid and your inhale cooling the coil as it heats. In TC mode, the mod regulates the temperature of the coil by reducing wattage when needed (regardless of your pull or liquid), giving a more consistent vape.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Hi there everyone. I'm new to temperature control. I want to start using temp control too. I know how to build coils so that would not be an issue, plus I know that I'll need to use stainless steel or nickel etc. I just don't understand how if I use it with my RDA that it will eliminate dry hits if I never let my cotton get too dry. Also if I usually set my wattage to my sweet spot @ 65 watts and do the same in temp control, what would be the difference, temp control or not. I know that I need to be educated on temp control. Can anyone suggest reading material or videos for me to get fully educated on temp control? Thanks a million :)
As Boompumper has said, your coil is cooled by liquid and airflow. In Wattage mode, your coil temperature varies according to how wet the wick is and how you have your air adjusted/how hard you pull. In TC mode, your coil temperature is fixed and the wattage varies to maintain it, ultimately as a factor of liquid and air flow. In TC mode, if you dial in (or suck in) more air, the watts will go up to maintain T, and you'll get more vapor as a result. You mentioned dry hits, if you don't have liquid in Watts mode, the T of the coil will go way up, usually burning the wick. In TC mode, your setpoint is below the "burn the wick" point, so you won't get those nasty burnt hits.
The Wattage setpoint for TC mode is a maximum. The watts will vary between 0-65 to maintain temperature of the coil. If your setpoint is higher, you may not reach the setpoint temperature and the watts will stay on your 65. Some folks use the mods this way to avoid the nasty dry hits, more like "temperature protection" rather than "control." To each their own.

emiTAtAyaDenO

Apr 15, 2017
New York
As Boompumper has said, your coil is cooled by liquid and airflow. In Wattage mode, your coil temperature varies according to how wet the wick is and how you have your air adjusted/how hard you pull. In TC mode, your coil temperature is fixed and the wattage varies to maintain it, ultimately as a factor of liquid and air flow. In TC mode, if you dial in (or suck in) more air, the watts will go up to maintain T, and you'll get more vapor as a result. You mentioned dry hits, if you don't have liquid in Watts mode, the T of the coil will go way up, usually burning the wick. In TC mode, your setpoint is below the "burn the wick" point, so you won't get those nasty burnt hits.
The Wattage setpoint for TC mode is a maximum. The watts will vary between 0-65 to maintain temperature of the coil. If your setpoint is higher, you may not reach the setpoint temperature and the watts will stay on your 65. Some folks use the mods this way to avoid the nasty dry hits, more like "temperature protection" rather than "control." To each their own.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your reply. I believe I understood basically everything you mentioned.

Reactions: Flavored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread