In light of the E-liquid re-call, New standards and protections should be implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

f(x)'=cosx

Aug 27, 2011
Ohio
The e-cig community and industry is relatively new, so perfecting the techniques used to make e-liquid and nicotine solutions is a work in progress. But, I believe that we can now start to institute standards and more importantly Quality control aspects. The end user should not be uninformed or misinformed as to what they are inhaling. We are all aware of the Nicotine solution recall that happened recently and the subsequent testing of the nicotine solution. When a nicotine solution contains almost 3 times as much nicotine as reported, there is a sever problem with Quality control and manufacturing techniques. As a chemical engineering student, I study process techniques and Six sigma variation control. I believe that companies who produce the concentrated nicotine solution need to implement much more comprehensive quality control testing, and more reliable manufacturing processes. Additionally vendors who purchase this solution should also institute external testing to make sure the manufacture did not miss anything.

Our community and industry is too important to lose over something as simply as quality control. We do NOT want give congress or the FDA any reason to suspect that E-cigs are overly dangerous and should be banned. Im not sure if anyone will agree with my thoughts, but Im sure we can all agree on safer practices within our industry.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
The e-cig community and industry is relatively new, so perfecting the techniques used to make e-liquid and nicotine solutions is a work in progress. But, I believe that we can now start to institute standards and more importantly Quality control aspects. The end user should not be uninformed or misinformed as to what they are inhaling. We are all aware of the Nicotine solution recall that happened recently and the subsequent testing of the nicotine solution. When a nicotine solution contains almost 3 times as much nicotine as reported, there is a sever problem with Quality control and manufacturing techniques. As a chemical engineering student, I study process techniques and Six sigma variation control. I believe that companies who produce the concentrated nicotine solution need to implement much more comprehensive quality control testing, and more reliable manufacturing processes. Additionally vendors who purchase this solution should also institute external testing to make sure the manufacture did not miss anything.

Our community and industry is too important to lose over something as simply as quality control. We do NOT want give congress or the FDA any reason to suspect that E-cigs are overly dangerous and should be banned. Im not sure if anyone will agree with my thoughts, but Im sure we can all agree on safer practices within our industry.

You study too much. Go to a bar, drink a lot of beer, and smoke cigarettes like most college students do.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I dont want to be paying more because of one crappy company . Just dont buy from BE and theres no problem .They were never a approved vendor here . If we only buy from ECF approved vendors and test the nic just to be 110% there should not be a issue . RTS and Xtremvaping has been proven to be fine and i wouldnt hestitate to buy from them . Both of them test their nic and have 0 issues with QC .Just my opinion . Higher standards and regulations are just going to open the door to a lot more . Higher prices , no more Diy'ing juice since nic liq will be regulated and not sold unless your a approved vendor . Next will be the removal of all flavored juices .Then juice by prescription only and so on and so on . Dont take it in the wrong way but that just my opinion .

f(x)'=cosx

Aug 27, 2011
Ohio
wdave- Haha I do study too damn much, but finals are over next week, so let the partying begin!!!!

I don't think instituting some basic QC would double and certainly not triple the price of Nic solution. Perhaps even a third party QC company could be created so that all vendors and manufacturers could share the cost. I dont mind paying more so that our right to vape is not taken away, and more importantly for the peace of mind that the next time I vape, it wont be my last.

f(x)'=cosx

Aug 27, 2011
Ohio
Some companies have better QC than others, but across the board standards must be implemented. In every other industry, some regulatory board does make sure things are the way their supposed to be. Im not advocating total regulation on par with lets say the pharmaceutical industry. But if we self impose, rather than wait for sanctions to be imposed, I believe we can have greater say on what those sanctions are.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I dont want to be paying more because of one crappy company . Just dont buy from BE and theres no problem .They were never a approved vendor here . If we only buy from ECF approved vendors and test the nic just to be 110% there should not be a issue . RTS and Xtremvaping has been proven to be fine and i wouldnt hestitate to buy from them . Both of them test their nic and have 0 issues with QC .Just my opinion . Higher standards and regulations are just going to open the door to a lot more . Higher prices , no more Diy'ing juice since nic liq will be regulated and not sold unless your a approved vendor . Next will be the removal of all flavored juices .Then juice by prescription only and so on and so on . Dont take it in the wrong way but that just my opinion .

I think you may be confusing industry self-regulation with government regulation. Nobody wants the government to regulate anything because you'll be seeing exactly the scenario you described. It's likely going to happen anyway unfortunately. What the community is talking about is the industry to agree on some standards and protocols to ensure what happened with BE will never be repeated. With the scrutiny we're under already, we can't afford mistakes.

I believe that companies who produce the concentrated nicotine solution need to implement much more comprehensive quality control testing, and more reliable manufacturing processes. Additionally vendors who purchase this solution should also institute external testing to make sure the manufacture did not miss anything.

You didn't actually look into it too well because the recall had nothing whatsoever to do with the 'nicotine producers'.

It was just one very small company made an error or two in dilutions. Seemed a widespread problem at first but we may have been misinformed on that point; perhaps it was just a handful of mistakes. Sure bad enough, but get your facts straight - not at all about nicotine producers (who have an unblemished record so far, east or west).

f(x)'=cosx

Aug 27, 2011
Ohio
You didn't actually look into it too well because the recall had nothing whatsoever to do with the 'nicotine producers'.

It was just one very small company made an error or two in dilutions. Seemed a widespread problem at first but we may have been misinformed on that point; perhaps it was just a handful of mistakes. Sure bad enough, but get your facts straight - not at all about nicotine producers (who have an unblemished record so far, east or west).

From what limited information that's available, I understood that the concentrated nicotine solution was of a much higher concentration then stated. Does it matter who made it? Did I single out any company in particular, or a specific part of the e-liquid industry? I am stating that our industry needs better QC, are you stating the QC is already adequate? If you are, I believe you would be in the vast minority. My post was not about "facts", nor was it full of accusations, just merely a call for more regulatory checks to provide for the safety of E-cig users. I believe you should re-read my thread, process it fully, before accusing me of not performing due diligence in my research.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I think you may be confusing industry self-regulation with government regulation. Nobody wants the government to regulate anything because you'll be seeing exactly the scenario you described. It's likely going to happen anyway unfortunately. What the community is talking about is the industry to agree on some standards and protocols to ensure what happened with BE will never be repeated. With the scrutiny we're under already, we can't afford mistakes.

The thing about regulating from the inside is that the fda will look at it as if we need to regulate it ourself there should be someone higher up like the fda/govt regulating to be sure its done properly .

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
I would like to know that the level of nicotine in the juice I purchase really is the level of nicotine I am vaping. I would also like to know the ingredients used in the juice I purchase. I know the FDA will start regulating soon, I just hope they don't go all crazy and tax the hell out of it because it's a "tobacco product".

Freddytk421

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Texas
The industry cant regulate itself because the suppliers that don't comply can undercut the ones that do have strict quality controls. Maybe some kind of vendor certification from a third party that shows they are doing what they need to do.

Then the people that care can only order from the vendors that are "certified" by that third party.

Last edited:

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
The trouble is business is out to make money. Many businesses could care less who gets hurt as long as they make a profit. There will always be people out there that will do whatever it takes to make money. They will not regulate themselves.

The fact of the matter is, the FDA is already involved. It's just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread