If you thought big tobacco moving into the ecig world was good... Read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tddman66

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Illinois
Below is a bit of a memo Blu has posted to vendors. Click the link below to read the full article. Vendors they are looking to regulate you right out of business.

What Retailers NEED to know about electronic cigarettes

90% of e-cigarette brands are exact replicas of each other – made in China, and rebranded by different importers. The liquid inhalant is made in mass quantities with no regulations or consistency from batch to batch. These companies are not concerned with consumer safety; they see only the money-making potential in this time of import freedom and little to no restrictions on the category. Thankfully, these 90% will disappear in the coming months. In the meantime, they are setting unrealistic expectations for retailers and consumers; offering products at lower price points which they’re able to do because of lower quality.

Remember a few years ago the energy drink explosion? Consumers were seeing a flurry of energy drinks with catchy names and funny “tongue in cheek” slogans all vying for a piece of the pie. Now what do you see? At most there are 5 brands that have made the cut. What we are seeing right now is a façade of what the electronic cigarette category actually is. Electronic Cigarettes are affordable, but if produced correctly, with consumers in mind they are not “cheap”. Testing, certifications, safety innovative features and branding cost money, and only a handful of brands out there have long term potential. And even some of those few have many changes to make if they plan to survive the regulations.

Read full statement here:

What Retailers NEED to know about electronic cigarettes | Blucigs.com

Posted under: Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

Last edited:

tddman66

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Illinois
I will refrain from comment so that I don't destroy my keyboard trying to express my real feelings.

I hear you.... They even mention the energy drink which a few big name cola outfits bought out the key players and lobbied to regulate all the rest right out of business. Do you know beer can only be bottled in certain sized bottles in the US? They passed the regulation stating it was to keep bottlers from confusing the public. All just for us dummies... Mean while that keeps 99 percent of the worlds beers from being imported because they don't use the sizes regulated. Regulations are never for the good of the public...They are alway to protect the fortune 500.

Not to mention Blu puts out one of the worst performing ecigs I have ever used!

Last edited:

Pazazu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
North Carolina
I will refrain from comment so that I don't destroy my keyboard trying to express my real feelings.

Quoted for truth.

Big tobacco is mad because they're losing out. They never pushed for tighter regulations to make cigarettes "safer" that's for darn sure. Why don't they just jump on board and make Marlboro e-juice? They have the resources to do a lot of R&D, not only to make better juices, but also to improve significantly on "MODS". vaping is the future, and big tobacco is just going to have to learn to deal with that.

tddman66

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Illinois
Quoted for truth.

Big tobacco is mad because they're losing out. They never pushed for tighter regulations to make cigarettes "safer" that's for darn sure. Why don't they just jump on board and make Marlboro e-juice? They have the resources to do a lot of R&D, not only to make better juices, but also to improve significantly on "MODS". Vaping is the future, and big tobacco is just going to have to learn to deal with that.

BT realizes this is the future and they don't want to share..... They want to regulate everyone out..... Then they can price this as high as anologs (maybe more). They want to fully own the ecig industry as they do tobacco.

StarDose

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Brampton
Well unfortunately for them vaping is allot easier to DIY than making your own cigarettes. Trying to regulate e cig and juice wouldn't work very well, even if ppl didn't want to DIY there would be others who would do it and sell it. BT will just make cheap devices that only last a couple month and probably won't work very well like most 510 setups. Really who would want to use a 510 setup very long anyways. There are allot of things that aren't legal but can still buy pipes and bongs without a problem so I don't see this as something that could be possible for them to do. At best they will help get more into vaping with their junk setups then they will come to us.

tddman66

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Illinois
Its funny first they try to ban it that fails so now time to buy it out hope that fails aswell.[/QUOTE

An anti Blu campaign couldn't hurt...... I know two people who tried them and now wont have a thing to do with ecigs... They had such a crappy experience they won't even consider another.

I made the mistake of buying a Blu kit..... Money down the drain. I quickly moved into a 18650 Mod.

Bottom line BT is making their move. Buy out the biggest (deepest pockets) leaving no one with deep enough pockets to battle them. The small business will be wiped away with a few regulations. I imagine the juice will be regulated first. Much like the guns (they will regulate the bullets). After all what good is a gun with no bullets? What good is a Mod with no juice?

Anyone have any idea how many pattens Blu has applied for since the buy out?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Well unfortunately for them vaping is allot easier to DIY than making your own cigarettes. Trying to regulate e cig and juice wouldn't work very well, even if ppl didn't want to DIY there would be others who would do it and sell it. BT will just make cheap devices that only last a couple month and probably won't work very well like most 510 setups. Really who would want to use a 510 setup very long anyways. There are allot of things that aren't legal but can still buy pipes and bongs without a problem so I don't see this as something that could be possible for them to do. At best they will help get more into vaping with their junk setups then they will come to us.

I'm afraid you are indulging in wishful thinking. When all nicotine is banned except in sealed carts with low nic levels (as BT is pushing for) then it is all over for vaping as we know it.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA

If they want to take it over the exact opposite of this will happen. They will corner the market on the mods, buyout the makers of them, retain them with contracts and send the blueprints to factories who can mass produce. This will make the mods in the 100+ price range laughable because Big Tob will be selling them for 50. When they corner the mod, ecig market..what they will do is sink their teeth into nicotine and ejuice. Ban oversea shipments of it, regulate the nicotine purchasing to Labs with qualified employess..then They will sky rocket the price of Ejuice.

StarDose

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Brampton
Nicotine is used in other things besides eliquid and smoking aids so they couldn't ban every source of nicotine. Even if they ban the liquid the odds of not being able to find sites selling it is highly unlikely. The super high concentrate will always be available which is where the liquid we get originally comes from just cut down allot.

aussiedog61

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Southern California
I will give Blu some credit here. If it wasn't for them I would have never gotten into the the world of vaping. Yes, their Original Starter pack sucked, but the newer Premium 100s weren't all that bad and they got me into trying other options and finally getting off of analogs. If it wasn't for them I would have never known about e-cigs. I have since moved on to better options. I believe that BT will soon come around because business is business and even the FDA is seemingly having a change of heart FDA Changing Stance? | Vaping Guides to the Electronic Cigarette. Business Insider and others are starting to promote e-cigs as well. I guess that I am a 'glass half full' kind of guy.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Regulation is coming and as the Blu memo suggests, the ecig world will change. This is not a surprise to people who have been following the industry lately. IMO the best thing we can all do is support CASAA. They are the only people out there who really have the best interests of vapers at heart. Here's a link to the site. Just joining will help increase our numbers, but if you can also contribute a few bucks, that's even better.

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
Nicotine is used in other things besides eliquid and smoking aids so they couldn't ban every source of nicotine. Even if they ban the liquid the odds of not being able to find sites selling it is highly unlikely. The super high concentrate will always be available which is where the liquid we get originally comes from just cut down allot.

Once it gets regulated concerning sales and uses of the liquid, it would be highly unlikely someone would risk severe fines, or pentalties for the sale of it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

The problem is that it's hard (and dangerous) to work with those sources of nic. And it is relatively easy to tightly control the supply. I know black market nic would be available, but that would not help the majority of vapers. All in all this scenario would be really tough on vaping.

StarDose

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Brampton
Regulation is a good thing so you know what exactly you are vaping. Having your product tested really isn't terribly expensive to justify charging allot more. If the current e juice companies don't sell out and pay attention to what happens they can get a license to produce eliquid and sell for a reasonable price. The profit from eliquid right not is quite a bit use that to get setup when the time comes. Its already banned here but you can still get it anywhere

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
Also all these sites you buy your supplies/ ejuice from...all the BT would have to do is say these simple words to the public "Your kids are in danger from being highly addicted to nicotine, can even die from a simple bottle of this so called ejuice" All these kids have to do is say they are over 18 by a few clicks and have nicotine sent right to them without you even knowing.

Tell me that wouldnt cause a crazed mothers against nicotine rally..

If they feel enough of a threat, they will take drastic measures. Ecigs will never be safe as long as they are in the free market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread