I need some info for a local bar owner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegatron75

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
NorthEast Kansas
Some good friends of mine have opened a bar in Missouri, This bar is non-smoking as are all bars and restaurants in MO..

I went to their bar last night and showed them my e-cig. They both smoke and were very interested, so were most of the smokers on the patio outside.

I asked her if I could vape inside the bar, she was leary and said that she would ask the city and see if it's ok.

So I need to arm her with some good info to give to the city.

Does anyone have something I can send her so she can use it to help with the city?

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I believe you should first get a copy or wording of your city's smoking bylaw and THEN approach it with the information you need to circumvent.

I say this because the "frontline" people you will be communicating with will simply just verse the wording of the bylaw.

Really don't think you'll need to contact them at all provided you are not doing what is stipulated in that bylaws wording.

However, your barowner friends will certainly need to put up some signage at the entrance as well as within the bar that states "personal vapouring allowed, smoking tobacco IS NOT" (or something along that line).

There were some graffix on this site somewhere from a member that had created them that showed the traditional "no smoking" symbols in red, along side with a green "vaping allowed" symbol, but I can't remember who the member was (maybe someone else will pipe in). And if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the member offered large sticker signage that could be purchased for this purpose.

Best of luck & VapeOn,
Greg

Jayhawks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
MO/KAN USA
midwestvapor.com
Vagatron,

I am not saying this is right.. But we just vaped away when the smoking ban passed. The the ol bag that pushed this smoking ban through was at a local bar, and saw a group vaping she about had a stroke. Well wouldnt ya know she called the law on us. When they arrived we were armed with the bylaws and showed the section # of the bylaws, which states "No burning or lighting of tobacco, weeds ect" The police sided with us and went on their way.

The best part of it was watching her sit there with a smirk on her face thinking Ha Ha those dumbass white trash smokers are in trouble now, and then to see her face when the police said we were breaking no laws..

Like I said this isnt the best way to go about things but its was great to see her stomped out of the bar in fear of our second hand vapor.
I can bet your .... that if we would have went to the city mgr and asked permission he would have said "NO" no matter what.

Boston George

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
Rochester, NY
Look, before you leap.

I have vaped in lots of bars and clubs. However, I have also been told to go outside at some.

Make sure you have the exact wording of the law in your state. Almost all of them talk about burning tobacco and so you should be fine. Most smoking bans carry serious fines for bars if they break the rules, so for your friends sake its best to check.

stevejo

Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
And as a clarification, smoking ban or no smoking ban, if a manager/owner of an establishment asks you to not vape inside, it is their right to do so -- arguing, getting police involved, etc, will do nothing for our cause.

This would be no different than walking into a bar with an inappropriate T-shirt and being asked to leave, or being asked to leave because you are drunk, or whatever the case may be.

The old "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone still applies even if it is legal to vape.

Several restaurants around the area where I live are vape-friendly (we have taken the time to go in and speak with management) and several have asked that we not use our devices inside. When we respect these requests, we create a better image for our community as a whole.

Bullken

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
I dont have a copy of california laws on hand but this is my approach....

I bounce at a nightclub 5 days a week and taking a smoke break every 90 mins was barely acceptable to management. I showed them my Bada Bing and explained what it is. They said it was cool but to still go to an area where I could not be easily seen since all the people buzzing would see me and think it was okay to light up. I am armed with business cards from the suppliers I purchase from and I hand them out anytime anybody appoaches me. If they still dont get it I bust out the ipod touch and actually show them the websites and vids.

When I am out on a personal night, I immediately ask to talk to the manager and show them my BB and explain that it is a vaporizer. EVERY TIME I have gotten the green light. And an added benefit is that I get to show it off and meet new people, hand out business cards and get the word out. (dont know if it is allowed to mention the suppliers I purchase from here on the forum)

Here in cali they are taking away smoking patios! But my vaping has yet to be denied.

Anybody else have the same approach??

7 weeks since my last analog and I feel GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!! LOL

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Here are the graffix I previously mentioned, and are offered by member Tasdad from his online shop as free downloads:

Tasdad Design

You could have your bar owner friends download the files and they could have them made up as stickers for the entrances and within the bar, or as those cardboard "teepees" (don't know what they're really called) that sit on the tables.

This would be a MUST for the bar in an attempt to prevent others from lighting up an analog.

VapeOn,
Greg

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
Haven't had any trouble yet here in England (not allowed to carry a pepper spray though :mad: )

But if the control freaks start to crawl out of the woodwork, I'd consider subterfuge.......how about hiding an e-cig in a penny whistle, or one of those things they have at parties that unrolls and squeaks when you blow through it? Or a fake lollipop - just stick a drilled, suitably-shaped piece of coloured plastic on the "mouth" end of the cig, and cover the light with something opaque. Of course you'd need to use the type of liquid that doesn't make a lot of vapour, but that can be done.

I know it all sounds a bit geeky, but nothing's lost by thinking outside the box.:D

bwhite757

May 16, 2009
South Carolina
As a business owner, you have to look at it from the Law's standpoint, and from your clientele standpoint. I own a bowling center that was forced to go Non-Smoking by the county back in 08/08. Luckily many other bowling centers across the country had to deal with the change long before me, and I knew once the smoking ban hit, to quickly change my marketing to target "Family Friendly Fun." Because of this my business took a very small hit at first, and I'm now actually more profitable b/c of the smoking ban.

That said, I am/was a smoker and I'm new to the vaping game (as you can tell by my post count) and was actually turned onto it by a customer that came in and tried to puff without asking. Immediately I had 20 angry parents in front of my control counter complaining about the "Filthy Smoker" down at the other end. When I went down and asked him to take it outside, he proceeded to try and fill me in that it wasn't really smoking and blah blah blah, you guys know the rest. Still I had to run him outside or risk losing 20-40 customers on the spot and their future business. I went outside and talked with the guy for awhile and he explained the device to me and gave me a couple of websites to check it out on.

I'm now a happy e-cig vaporer (still don't have your guy's lingo down yet) and have since bought the device for all of my employees that still smoke so they can get their fix without having to take an obscene break (b/c our County non-smoking ban prevents my employees from smoking on my property, they have to get in their car and take a ride to get a cig, it's ridiculous). That being said, there's still no way I could allow it inside my establishment. The general public don't know what it is, and quite frankly just think you are smoking. Until there is more public knowledge about e-cigs, you just aren't going to be welcomed. Even if the owner allows it, you're still going to present them with a constant headache of misinformed angry customers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread