How we know PG is safer than analog cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught one too when cutting and pasting - propogated - Should be prop-A-gated -

GREAT JOB ! THANKS FROM ME TOO !

Thanks :) Guys... please use the LINK to the webpage where I posted all the info to cut and paste info from as it was edited to fix all spelling errors!! The post is no longer editable for me!!!!

Atreides Ghola

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Mayfield Heights, Ohio
About the PG, and some biological facts about it.

First, it's highly soluble in water, which means it will cross the lungs into the bloodstream very easily. Certainly, the majority of the PG is exhaled when vaping, but some does enter circulation.

In the liver, it's metabolized to pyruvate, lactic acid, and ocasionally to small quantities of acetic acid. These are all naturally occurring biomolecules, and our bodies do have the ability to metabolize them further. Pyruvate is the end product of glycolysis (or anaerobic respiration/metabolism). Pyruvate is converted to lactic acid in the muscles in anerobic conditions (i.e. exercising in the absence of available oxygen...this is why muscles get sore after a workout). Pyruvate, under normal conditions, is passed on to the tricarboxcylic acid cycle (TCA, or citric acid cycle), which in turn produces ATP/GTP, NADH, QH2, and CO2. The first three are used either directly as energy, or are passed on and used in the electron transport chain. Carbon dioxide is of course a waste product, with an acidic nature.

What's important to recognize here is that the initial metabolites and almost all of the intermediates are acids/have acidic components. The symptoms most commonly quoted by people who use e-cigs (nausea, headache, mainly), are also the main symptoms of ketoacidosis, or acidosis, if you prefer. If you're vaping alot, and taking in enough PG to throw your metabolism slightly off kilter, it's probably NOT the nicotine causing the symptoms. It's probably mild acidosis. Because the metabolic products of PG are naturally occurring, to stop the symtoms, just cut down on the amount of vaping you do.

Another thing: comercially prepared PG is generally a racemic mixture...meaning the PG molecules in solution are about 50% right handed and 50% left handed. The enzyme responsible for the metabolism of PG is alcohol dehydrogenase (the same enzyme that metabolizes alcohol). If you want to find information about harmful side effects, the most likely place to look would be for studies on D/L Lactate Acidosis.

What you can conclude from this is that, yes, PG is generally harmless, when used/inhaled in moderate or controlled amounts. However, people who overuse or have some related conditions (diabetes comes to mind immediately) will be more susceptible to adverse effects. While the metabolic products of PG are perfectly natural, the substance itself is NOT, and will have some disagreeable, and perhaps harmful, side-effects. Are these as bad as smoking analogs...surely not, but the safety of PG use is an issue relative to the user and the amount used.

And just so you know...I love vaping...have been at it for two weeks now with no regular tobacco smoked. I'm a molecular biologist, and have been a smoker for 28 years...so I did my research to ensure that switching to vaping wasn't going to kill me faster than the smokes did. :)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Excellent. Any blood test done on a user should include a blood PH figure. It's one of the first results I look at when getting blood work. Since I began steady e-smoking 17 months ago, my PH is always in the "normal" range -- and I'm a heavy, heavy user of nicotine and PG vapor.

Good to have your knowledge here.

Was looking into oxidation of PG (one of my bottles of JC turned green) and found this article. Unfortunately, it doesn't address inhalation as relevant.

Looked it over.. many of them don't include inhalation... but we will get there in time.

Guys.. please remember to FWD the LINK to people you send the info to... cause that is updated pretty much daily... maybe I will delete the post and just leave the link to the page so I don't hafta change it in 3 places every time I add an article?

PrairieJim

Jun 19, 2009
For those who don't know.. the legislature attempeted an outright ban of e-cigs where we live. You all wrote letters and they CHANGED the legislation!!! Now they are restricting sales to only 19 and over and they are restricting use to "smoking areas only".

It's outragous that Vaper's would be forced into a room full of second hand smoke, which the government has established to be hazardous to our health.
I hope everyone refuses to do such a thing.

Apparently it isn't yet clear to these politicians that e cigarettes do not contain any tobacco product, and the vapor is NOT smoke.

What IS clear is those who pursue an education in political study sadly lack any other basic education that would be helpful to them in understanding the function of an electronic smokeless, tobacco less cigarette.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The e-cig is a tobacco product like Coca-Cola is a gourmet coffee.

Wishful thinking. In fact, law carefully spells out what a tobacco cigarette is. The e-cig doesn't fit even one piece of that definition. But we should have a federal judge's ruling before long to put this silly argument to rest once and for all (and no appeal will work). At least Bill Godshall has the intelligence to see through this "it's a tobacco product" ploy.

I wasn't arguing that it's a tobacco product, just pointing out that the statement "e cigarettes do not contain any tobacco product" is technically incorrect. Unless and until the nicotine is derived from some other source, the e-cigarette does contain a tobacco based element.

But e-cigarettes do NOT contain any tobacco products. E-cigarettes contain a battery, microchip, and an atomizer for propylene glycol. Whether or not you want your propylene glycol to contain nicotine (as much a "tobacco" product as Mountain Dew is a coffee product) is entirely optional.

E-cigarettes are not tobacco products. Is a spoon a "soup product" because some put soup in their spoon? ...or maybe its a crack delivery system? Shall we ban spoons now?

But e-cigarettes do NOT contain any tobacco products. E-cigarettes contain a battery, microchip, and an atomizer for propylene glycol. Whether or not you want your propylene glycol to contain nicotine (as much a "tobacco" product as Mountain Dew is a coffee product) is entirely optional.

E-cigarettes are not tobacco products. Is a spoon a "soup product" because some put soup in their spoon? ...or maybe its a crack delivery system? Shall we ban spoons now?

I like this... I shall use this while speaking at the hearing about the ban today.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street

That's an excellent point. I agree 100%. The hardware itself is not a tobacco product. The consumables can be tobacco products, if the consumer chooses to buy liquid that contains nicotine. And even then there's the possibility that manufacturers can use nicotine that's derived from other sources.

Great post, Thulium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread