How to Fix Stuff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not a typical DIY question, but I’m wondering whether anyone knows of a way to reduce or eliminate the smell of a garbage can that’s used for weekly lawn clippings? Something other than hosing it out - which we can’t really do because of water restrictions.

It’s a long shot but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask. We need to find something environmentally safe.

If the Grass is Wet when cut and then put Green Bin as a lump I get that Horrible Rotting Smell.

Have you just tried leaving your Green Bins out in the Sun with the Lids Off for a couple of days?

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
How much control do you have over the lawn service?

I started using a mulching mower and never collected the grass clippings. Now that I have a mowing service, I've asked them not to bag the clippings when they mow. Denver has similar water issues and climate as you have, and letting the grass and leaves stay in the lawn is best for the environment around here.

If you have to collect the grass, can you schedule mowing to happen the day before trash day? It would at least cut down the time the grass is in the can rotting. It did smell like dead body the few times my mowing company forgot and dumped the clippings in the trash can.
Good possibilities. I’m limited on these options for various reasons but it may come down to changing the day if all else fails.
Couldn’t agree more.
If the Grass is Wet when cut and then put Green Bin as a lump I get that Horrible Rotting Smell.

Have you just tried leaving your Green Bins out in the Sun with the Lids Off for a couple of days?
The wetness is a big reason it’s so bad for sure. SoCal’s rainy season is just about over so this will be less of an issue.

Right now with the lids off we attract every fly for miles. It’s a small property too so the smell (and flies) get inside. But we definitely have to let the sun work its magic at least once when the rains are done.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good possibilities. I’m limited on these options for various reasons but it may come down to changing the day if all else fails.

Couldn’t agree more.

The wetness is a big reason it’s so bad for sure. SoCal’s rainy season is just about over so this will be less of an issue.

Right now with the lids off we attract every fly for miles. It’s a small property too so the smell (and flies) get inside. But we definitely have to let the sun work its magic at least once when the rains are done.

Yeah... You Can't have Stink without Moister. Drying them out would be My 1st priority.

• Agree
Reactions: LAwaters

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Not a typical DIY question, but I’m wondering whether anyone knows of a way to reduce or eliminate the smell of a garbage can that’s used for weekly lawn clippings? Something other than hosing it out - which we can’t really do because of water restrictions.

It’s a long shot but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask. We need to find something environmentally safe.
A friend of mine used to have fish truck,he would use ground coffee. Since I had a coffee roasting business, he kept me in seafood.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a small lawn and bag my grass. We have a local company called Compost Connection that I pay a yearly fee to and they pick up my grass bags weekly. It’s pretty affordable in my opinion.

That's $5.21 or more per bag on the smallest annual plan!

I wonder how much they get for the compost they make.

Reactions: LAwaters

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    That's $5.21 or more per bag on the smallest annual plan!

I wonder how much they get for the compost they make.
    I don’t get your math. I pay $150 per year and can put out five bags a week for 52 weeks a year. I usually put out from March through November so it’s not 52 weeks but more like 36 weeks. $150 divided by 36 is $4.16 per week and $4.16 divided by 5 is 83 cents per bag. If I don’t bag then the thatch builds up over time and I have to rent a power rake or verticut. Like I said, my lawn is small so it’s not a lot of work to bag it and my yard will look like a carpet all spring and summer. I like to keep it nice. Besides grass clippings, I can also put out tree clippings and branches.

Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don’t get your math. I pay $150 per year and can put out five bags a week for 52 weeks a year. I usually put out from March through November so it’s not 52 weeks but more like 36 weeks. $150 divided by 36 is $4.16 per week and $4.16 divided by 5 is 83 cents per bag. If I don’t bag then the thatch builds up over time and I have to rent a power rake or verticut. Like I said, my lawn is small so it’s not a lot of work to bag it and my yard will look like a carpet all spring and summer. I like to keep it nice. Besides grass clippings, I can also put out tree clippings and branches.

Oh right i was figuring bags per month not week, on the $125 plan. That comes to $1.20/bag or more + the bag.

Reactions: hittman

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I’ve had the same mulch mower I bought in 1991.

That's awesome! My mowers don't last me more than 15 years. I'm hard on them. 16 city lots a week. Half my property is undeveloped land & kinda rugged for push mowing.

I keep buying Toro Recyclers (my last 3 models) but I wish I had bought a Super Recycler back when they were worth buying. Just bought a new Recycler last year and so far so good. But the Recycler model my Aunt bought 4 years ago (20336) has been utter junk from day-one and I haaaaate using it - I wish it dead every time I mow her lawn.

Reactions: Bronze

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Me either. I’ve had the same mulch mower I bought in 1991.
    Yours is a little older than mine. I have a toro recycler that I bought in 2000 the year after we bought our house. I’ve put a transmission on it several years ago for about $40 and a little time. I replaced the pull rope once. It still starts the first pull every time.

borno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2019
    land of pleasant living
    Me either. I’ve had the same mulch mower I bought in 1991.
    I've got a '78 lawn boy side discharge 2-stroke. I never wanted a mulcher because I like trying to shoot the neighbors sweet gum sticky balls back at his yard. lol I need to try to put yet another ignition module in it though, they were problematic.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Mulch mowers.

That keeps coming up yet ignored. I never knew so many people still bagged their lawn clippings.
    In our case it’s a hired gardener and he doesn’t have a mulch mower. Not my house so I don’t have the authority to switch to a different gardener. Very soon the dry summer will stop the grass growing much.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    That’s after brewing, right? Interesting idea. Not sure we are allowed to put coffee grounds in though. The rules are wacky.
    He would use fresh grounds after a washout, said it absorbed the odor so he could take produce to the coast.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Yours is a little older than mine. I have a toro recycler that I bought in 2000 the year after we bought our house. I’ve put a transmission on it several years ago for about $40 and a little time. I replaced the pull rope once. It still starts the first pull every time.
    That’s nothing. I rebuilt the carb once and replaced wheel parts a bit. Otherwise, same thing…first pull. An old Craftsman back when they made good stuff. Tecumseh engine.
    I've got a '78 lawn boy side discharge 2-stroke. I never wanted a mulcher because I like trying to shoot the neighbors sweet gum sticky balls back at his yard. lol I need to try to put yet another ignition module in it though, they were problematic.
    Lawn Boy was the Cadillac of lawn mowers back in the day.

Reactions: borno

Users who are viewing this thread