How to Fix Stuff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I like the idea of trying the bag of vinegar before trying to take it apart. I'm doubtful because there doesn't appear to be any build up of crud the I look into he opening, but it's worth a try.

Ya never know. Once in awhile you have enough DIY Karma Points and you get Lucky. And it could be that a chunk of Rust or Hard Water build up has broken loose from someplace else and gotten stuck in the Tub Diverter.

It could be that a Turkey Baster Flush Out and a White Vinegar Bag does the trick. If not, Here's a vid showing both types of Tub Faucets being Removed and Replaced.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Well I def have a screw on type. My wife had one of those 'wrenches' with the rubber strap for stubborn jars. I used that and it was hard to get it to grip the smooth medal of the faucet. But I did get it to turn ever so slightly. That makes me optimistic I'll be able to remove it when the time comes.

IMG_6865.jpg

I'm tempted to try to remove the diverter and see the results. But if I break it I'm stuck without a shower in the house. Bide my time. By the end of the week the main bath should be back together.
IMG_6867.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So, I did a bit of google-fu last night. On the Moen site and a couple other's two common problems were mentioned.

1. The valve being installed upside down. This I ruled out. Seems to me if the valve were installed upside down the hot/cold water would be reversed when turn the selector hand for cold or hot water. And that's working OK.

2. Restrictions to the faucet pipe or in the faucet pipe. This one I have a question mark on. I looked at the plumbing lines through the access panel. The feed line to the faucet is a smaller diameter than the hot and cold feed lines. And it has a coupler in it which could be a further restrictions.

The blue line is coming from the valve to the faucet.

IMG_6877.jpg

The hot and cold feed lines look to be a bigger diameter. Here's pics of one of those.
IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

So I'm wondering if that blue line could be the culprit causing the water from from the faucet and shower head when the diverter is in the open position for just the faucet.

Does that blue line look 'correct' or did the contractor kludge the install. What think you?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So, I did a bit of google-fu last night. On the Moen site and a couple other's two common problems were mentioned.

1. The valve being installed upside down. This I ruled out. Seems to me if the valve were installed upside down the hot/cold water would be reversed when turn the selector hand for cold or hot water. And that's working OK.

2. Restrictions to the faucet pipe or in the faucet pipe. This one I have a question mark on. I looked at the plumbing lines through the access panel. The feed line to the faucet is a smaller diameter than the hot and cold feed lines. And it has a coupler in it which could be a further restrictions.

View attachment 1010305

The hot and cold feed lines look to be a bigger diameter. Here's pics of one of those.
View attachment 1010306
View attachment 1010307

So I'm wondering if that blue line could be the culprit causing the water from from the faucet and shower head when the diverter is in the open position for just the faucet.

Does that blue line look 'correct' or did the contractor kludge the install. What think you?

In problems like this, I always like to check the simplest stuff first. In this case, Checking/Replacing the Diverter is going to be Very Simple once you removed the Tub Spout and have a Meon Name/Number.

Check out what a Simple Design the Diverter is in this Vid...

So a Putting in a New Diverter probably isn't going all day project. And even if you decided to just replace the Entire Tub Spout, that is cost prohibitive.

---

Everything looks pretty Normal in the pictures you posted. I'd Hot Glue those rem pieces of wood down if they aren't already. But aside from that it all looks like what one would find behind a tub.

---

BTW - Here's a Question. Did this Tub Spout / Shower Head ever work Correctly? Or has it always been like how you described it in your Original Post?

Reactions: DavidOck

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
BTW - Here's a Question. Did this Tub Spout / Shower Head ever work Correctly? Or has it always been like how you described it in your Original Post?

I can't answer that. Ever since the new 'stuff' was installed we've never run just the faucet to fill the tub. Have only used it to take a shower. Turn on the water pull up on the diverter and adjust temp before stepping into the shower.

I've noticed it takes about 20 to 30 seconds once the water is coming out the faucet before it also starts coming out the shower. So it's very likely it could have always been this way but we never noticed it until we started using that bathroom more often due to remodeling the main bath.

BTW, I have a new replacement Moen diverted on-hand already. Ready to go when the time comes. And thanks for the video.

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living

View attachment 1010305

View attachment 1010306
View attachment 1010307

The moen's I've done with the cartridge, can reverse hot and cold with the cartridge put in 180 degrees from normal. Not that this is the case, just a heads up.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I've noticed it takes about 20 to 30 seconds once the water is coming out the faucet before it also starts coming out the shower.

Wow... That seems like a Looooong Time. I Can't even get to a Slow Count of Three after I lift the Diverter before the water starts coming out of the Shower Head.

--

Hey BTW - Have you taken off your Showerhead and given it a Check for Rust of Hard Water Build-Up?

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Caught 2 more squirrels since my 1st one. Outside.

One I caught Sunday night sometime between 7-8:30PM (very unexpected).
    The other one this morning. Found in trap at 8:30AM-ish.

I haven't heard noises in the attic (or anywhere else) since I caught the one on Sunday night.

Trapping will continue regardless until I can get those vents re-meshed.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

I've noticed it takes about 20 to 30 seconds once the water is coming out the faucet before it also starts coming out the shower. So it's very likely it could have always been this way but we never noticed it until we started using that bathroom more often due to remodeling the main bath.

I'm starting to Wonder if what you are seeing Isn't a problem with the Shower Diverter? But perhaps something else like a Anti-Scald Valve that is working properly?

The Distance the Water has to travel when the Shower Diverter is lifted is so short, I'm trying to figure out why/how it could take 20 or 30 seconds to start coming out of the Showerhead?

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Caught 2 more squirrels since my 1st one. Outside.

One I caught Sunday night sometime between 7-8:30PM (very unexpected).
    The other one this morning. Found in trap at 8:30AM-ish.

I haven't heard noises in the attic (or anywhere else) since I caught the one on Sunday night.

Trapping will continue regardless until I can get those vents re-meshed.
    Mine always got in that spot where the dormer meets the roof.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Mine always got in that spot where the dormer meets the roof.

Yeah, I was looking at those spots with binoculars today. I also have another spot that looks iffy, but cant tell with binoculars from the ground. Gonna need a thorough inspection.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Letitia

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Yeah, I was looking at those spots with binoculars today. I also have another spot that looks iffy, but cant tell with binoculars from the ground. Gonna need a thorough inspection.
    I was able to block the opening better from inside the attic. That’s a good thing cuz getting on my 12/12 roof is a harrowing experience.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I was able to block the opening better from inside the attic. That’s a good thing cuz getting on my 12/12 roof is a harrowing experience.

I hear ya. I also have a medical condition that wold make that a dumb idea.

Unfortunately I can't get into my attic nor most of my crawlspace.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

You gotta be Strapped Up, working from a Platform or Cleats, and should be on a Top Rope at ALL Times to work on a 12/12 Roof.

Not for the Mild Mannered.

LOL

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    You gotta be Strapped Up, working from a Platform or Cleats, and should be on a Top Rope at ALL Times to work on a 12/12 Roof.

Not for the Mild Mannered.

LOL
    Had my roof done a few years ago. They were all roped up but it didn’t prevent me from wanting to vomit watching them.

Users who are viewing this thread