hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome to yet another review. Today I will be taking a look at the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Pro rda that was sent to me by Hellvape in order to provide you with a fair and honest review. The Pro is a 24mm rda with three airflow options offering side and bottom airflow or both. The build deck is postless and offers plenty of space for building. There is also an extra side airflow ring and tip included in the package with each of these rdas in a different color. There are also DIY kits with both airflow rings and a tip available for purchase separately. Sounds pretty good on paper but the proof is in the pudding and we’ll just have to see how it performs.

038iV2J.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Dead Rabbit Pro RDA
    2* 0.37Ω Ni80 Clapton Coil
    1* Accessory Bag
    1* Extra Colorful 810 Drip Tip
    1* Extra Colorful Side AFC Ring
    1* BF Pin
    2* Shoelace Cotton
    1* Coil Cutting Tool
    1* User Manual

Eohqhmb.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Size: φ24mm*31.3mm

Airflow: Bottom airflow, side airflow, bottom airflow+side airflow

Drip Tip: 810

Color: S.S, Blue, Gold, Matte Black, Gunmetal, Rainbow, Red

39mTs4B.jpg

FEATURES:

1. φ24mm dual coil RDA

2. 3 airflow modes for stronger throat-hit

3. Generous space, easy to install coil

4. Extra 810 drip tip and side AFC ring included

5. DIY combo colorful match to bring you DIY fun

QU5iJAs.jpg

dTTN3RK.jpg

SWQtezS.jpg

2fiFqNE.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The Dead Rabbit Pro RDA is the next rendition of the Dead Rabbit line from Hellvape. Hellvape is always very generous with review samples and was nice enough to send two of the Pro rdas as well as two DIY kits that come with a color matching tip and both airflow control rings. I received the gunmetal and matte black versions of the Pro rda and two of the DIY kits in Pinkish and Silver.

The front of the box for the Pro has the same rda pictured for all color versions but does have a sticker on the front indicating which color is actually inside the box. The front also has the Hellvape and Dead Rabbit Pro names as well as showing the extra tip and side airflow ring that are included for free.

The back side of the box has a list of features and a contents list. Also on the back is an authenticity code, bar code with color name, and Hellvape company information.

1688173896665.png

1688173917261.png

As with any tank or rda, it’s always a good idea to disassemble it as far as possible for cleaning. I normally don’t take out the 510 plated center pin when cleaning but you could very easily on this one if you wanted to. It just releases the bracket with the two posts attached to it and it is easily reinstalled. I found this out when changing out the solid pin for the squonk pin.

As you can see in the first picture below, the side and bottom airflow control rings are easily removed for cleaning or for switching them out with some of the color ones. There are two o rings on the barrel assembly to help seal them but there is also a positive stop for each. I found it interesting that the two airflow rings are adjusted in opposite directions so that you won’t accidentally open or close one while adjusting the other. This was good thinking on Hellvape’s part since the airflow rings basically sit one on top of the other. Therefore the side airflow ring must be removed first in order to remove the bottom ring. They only go on one way so it pays to pay attention to how they come off when you remove them. The side airflow has ten honeycomb airflow holes while the bottom airflow is just a wide slotted opening.

The drip tips for the Pro are made of metal at the base and are topped with some sort of plastic with a swirled design. I really like the looks of these tips but they are so short and with the metal base they conduct heat pretty well which I found to be too hot if you chain vape much with dual coils.

1688173976030.png

1688173995696.png

The top of the main body has notches in it that would make one think that it’s one of those rdas where you turn the top in order to adjust the airflow but that isn’t the case. It’s just for aesthetics. The main body of the Pro is all one piece besides the airflow control rings. The Hellvape name is clearly printed on the matte black version as well as the Dead Rabbit Pro name. Some may not like the branding but I kind of like it. In the second picture below you can see how the inside lower part of the tip is made of metal which I mentioned earlier. Between the short tip and the metal transferring the heat, the tip just wasn’t a good fit for me.

1688174046758.png

1688174064421.png

The bottom of the build deck has the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Pro name etched on it. In the first picture below you can see that the standard plated 510 center pin comes pre-installed in the Pro. There is however a squonk pin included in the spare parts bag. I immediately installed the squonk pins in both of the samples that I received. I just happened to get a squonk mod for review on the same day that the Hellvape samples arrived. It might be unnecessary to mention but when changing the center pin you want to hold a finger on the top of the deck or the contacts can fall out. It’s not hard to put them back in place but why not avoid having to do it. There is also an Allen wrench included which is needed for unscrewing the center pin.

The second and third pictures below show the spacious build deck for the Dead Rabbit Pro. As you can see in the first picture, there are six airflow holes on either side of the deck. This is where the bottom airflow comes up and hits the coil. In the second picture you can see the large opening on each side that aligns with the opening for the bottom airflow control on the main chamber. Also you can see that the grub screws are slotted.

1688174125903.png

1688174145930.png

1688174179462.png

The Pro comes with two .37 ohm Ni80 Clapton coils. I like how the coil cutting guide that comes with the Pro has an arrow on one side to indicate where to place the coil for cutting so there is no guesswork as to how long to cut the coil legs. The marking indicates that one should cut the coil legs at 5mm so I did and the coil height seemed ok but possibly a little high for my taste. After installing and dry burning the coils, I was able to wick both coils with one of the two included cotton threads. I cut the wicks a little long like I usually do and thinned both ends. Once thinned, I placed one end in and trimmed the excess off the other end and inserted it into the juice well. I’m not sure the exact depth of the juice wells on the Pro but they seem deep enough to hold enough liquid for at least a few puffs between squonking.

55XY3A0.jpg

t7VGMt9.jpg

97utlyJ.jpg

Since I received two rdas for the review I decided to try something a little different on the second one. Instead of installing the same two included coils, I thought I’d take advantage of the spacious build deck and try one of the 5mm .37 ohm coils that I had purchased for a different rda. It fit very well and performed well. I actually ended up liking this build a little better than the dual coil build but both provided good flavor.

1688174438766.png

One of the selling points of the Pro rda is that it comes with a spare drip tip and side airflow ring in a different color than what comes pre-installed. The gunmetal version came with a blue tip and ring while the matte black came with a red tip and ring.

Rh4tfbK.jpg

V2gjsYK.jpg

fZjzHUa.jpg

Besides the spare tip and airflow ring included in the Pro package for free, Hellvape is also making DIY kits available for separate purchase that include one tip and both airflow control rings in multiple color options.

JgXc3he.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

It has been a real pleasure testing the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Pro RDA. For me, the Pro is a welcome addition to the Dead Rabbit family. I like that it has a 24mm base diameter so it can be used on most mods without overhang.

I ran the dual coils at about 50 watts and got very good flavor and vapor production. As I mentioned earlier, despite very much liking the looks of the drip tips included with the Pro, they just got too hot for my tastes after a few consistent puffs. I instead chose to use a longer tapered tip with the dual coils and it worked out well for me.

The single coil that I installed in the second sample ran very nicely at 42 watts and to me seemed to provide superior flavor over the dual coil arrangement. Once again I installed a longer tip to help dissipate the heat better.

I ran both rdas on squonk mods and was concerned that over squonking might cause leaking out of the bottom airflow. I tried different airflow combinations with both open some, one open and the other closed, and ended up running both with just the honeycomb airflow open. I did notice when I had the bottom airflow open that I got a fair amount of condensation build up around the opening but never had any actual leaking.

I think it’s really nice that Hellvape decided to include the extra tip and airflow ring with the Pro. I can definitely see people using them and also purchasing the different DIY kits to highlight the colors of their mods. I’ve never been much of a matchy match person but do like having the option of adding some different colors to the rdas.

7XO9f9g.jpg

So about all that’s left at this point is to decide if I would recommend the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Pro RDA for you. I have really enjoyed testing them and I would say that if you are looking for a 24mm rda with some cool color options and want something you can run both dual coils or larger single coils in then definitely would say yes.

I’d like to thank Hellvape and Lisha for sending the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Pro RDAs and the DIY kits for this review. Thanks also to the readers for taking the time to check out my reviews. Below is a link to the website where you can see not only the Dead Rabbit Pro but also the plethora of tanks available from Hellvape.

Dead Rabbit Pro RDA-Hellvape - The DIY atomizer leading brand
    In1hc6h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread