Status
Not open for further replies.

shangula

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
British Columbia
Hey all. Received the HCigar VT167 (Throttled DNA250 version);
a few questions.

1. The Battery bar is showing quite a bit lower within my usual fresh/charge timeframe (about 1 PM - 10 PM).. I know this varies mod to mod, but I hope when it goes to the charger it's not drastically lower than when I use kanger, smok, joytech mods. I always thought dna chips were super efficient. Is the bar showing lower just cause it's a different chip?

2. I'm a wattage only vaper, TC isn't my thing. I know dna chips are tailored to TC tweakers, but I just wanted a nicely built mod with a good chip. I use 2 sets of LG HG2s, would it be worth it for me to tweak the battery settings in E-Scribe? I'd really rather not, but if it will really benefit, I'm for it... A link to a guide to tweaking e-scribe with dual HG2s would be nice if possible.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And yes, assuring the correct battery curve through eScribe will improve the accuracy of the battery bars. Whether it's worth the effort is up to you. There are two ways to do it. One is run Battery Analyzer in eScribe. That takes a few hours but doesn't require you to do anything during that time. You can't vape on it while that runs, so use your backup, you have a backup, right? The second is finding someone who already ran Battery analyzer on those HG2s and can simply share the file with you. A call to @Wingsfan0310 who is always generous with his configuration files, and seems to have all sorts on hand (I use 25Rs, or I'd offer mine, it is battery specific).

Option 3, don't worry about it, there is no effect on performance, and so long as you know about how long to expect out of a pair of those batteries, it's not a big deal.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Hey all. Received the HCigar VT167 (Throttled DNA250 version);
a few questions.

1. The Battery bar is showing quite a bit lower within my usual fresh/charge timeframe (about 1 PM - 10 PM).. I know this varies mod to mod, but I hope when it goes to the charger it's not drastically lower than when I use kanger, smok, joytech mods. I always thought DNA chips were super efficient. Is the bar showing lower just cause it's a different chip?

2. I'm a wattage only vaper, TC isn't my thing. I know DNA chips are tailored to TC tweakers, but I just wanted a nicely built mod with a good chip. I use 2 sets of LG HG2s, would it be worth it for me to tweak the battery settings in E-Scribe? I'd really rather not, but if it will really benefit, I'm for it... A link to a guide to tweaking e-scribe with dual HG2s would be nice if possible.
A few things I'll add to what @Eskie said:
1. Hook up your mod to Escribe and click on the Mod tab.
2. Make sure the watt hours are set to 22.2 Watt Hours.
3. You can set your voltage cutoff to what you want in the Cell Soft Cutoff box. I set mine to 2.8v because that's the voltage under load (it will be higher at rest) - you don't have to wait for the weak battery warning to show up, you can change/charge cells whenever you want. I do because I don't want my mod shutting off if I'm out and about and still have battery power left.
4. While your doing all that, you might as well load in the proper CSV file for the HG2's. You can download it here:
Kurven für Akku | DNA200 German Crew

IMPORTANT - After making changes, click on Upload Settings to Device at the top of Escribe to save the changes to your mod. If you can't find the Mod Tab click on Options > User Interface > Manufacturer, at the top of Escribe

Cell Soft Cutoff and Watt Hours here
upload_2017-2-15_11-35-9.png

Load the CSV file for the Battery Discharge here
upload_2017-2-15_11-36-17.png

Edit Everything I mentioned is too make the Battery Bar accurate and to set when the mod will shutoff/give warning for your set low voltage cutoff.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thank you all for the info... but wouldn't using someone else's battery analyzation be more specific to their own set of HG2s? (curve) ?

I guess if you ran it once on brand new cells then reran it after a year of daily use it would be a bit different, but I don't think going on the assumption someone's battery curve should be a reasonable fit will lead far off field. It's not something that effects actual mod operation so a higher level of precision is a requirement, at least for my personal use.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
See? I knew you would have a link to a csv file for those batteries.:)

No joke, you're a seriously good and important resource for DNA products, and I sure appreciate it.
Thanks for the kind words my friend, I appreciate the thought. I'm just trying to be helpful. :toast:

Thank you all for the info... but wouldn't using someone else's battery analyzation be more specific to their own set of HG2s? (curve) ?
That's what I use. I don't have the resistors handy to run the battery analyzer so I use the German DNA Crews curves (I use either LG HG2's, Samsung 30Q's, or 25R's and they have all 3 posted). Ive never had any complaints. The main thing is to make sure the watt hours are set correctly. Like @Eskie mentioned, as the cells age the curves will change. I'm just looking for something close.

Cheers,
Steve

shangula

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
British Columbia
A few things I'll add to what @Eskie said:
1. Hook up your mod to Escribe and click on the Mod tab.
2. Make sure the watt hours are set to 22.2 Watt Hours.
3. You can set your voltage cutoff to what you want in the Cell Soft Cutoff box. I set mine to 2.8v because that's the voltage under load (it will be higher at rest) - you don't have to wait for the weak battery warning to show up, you can change/charge cells whenever you want. I do because I don't want my mod shutting off if I'm out and about and still have battery power left.
4. While your doing all that, you might as well load in the proper CSV file for the HG2's. You can download it here:
Kurven für Akku | DNA200 German Crew

IMPORTANT - After making changes, click on Upload Settings to Device at the top of Escribe to save the changes to your mod. If you can't find the Mod Tab click on Options > User Interface > Manufacturer, at the top of Escribe

Cell Soft Cutoff and Watt Hours here
View attachment 635715

Load the CSV file for the Battery Discharge here
View attachment 635717

Edit Everything I mentioned is too make the Battery Bar accurate and to set when the mod will shutoff/give warning for your set low voltage cutoff.

Those Files appear to be for 3 battery DNA devices not a 2 x 18650. I had to use a German to English translator

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Those Files appear to be for 3 battery DNA devices not a 2 x 18650. I had to use a German to English translator
It doesn't matter. They are for a single cell. If you open them with a program like Excell you will see. The DNA mods monitor each cell. If you don't want to use them, then don't. You asked for help and we gave it you. What you chose to do with it is up to you.

upload_2017-2-15_23-14-51.png

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It will not matter. That curve is only for accuracy in the battery bar. It has nothing to do with the battery's performance. It's merely a convenience for you to see how much power is left. It does not affect how much power your battery delivers. Using a different battery only means you might be off a bit when you look at the bar to see how much longer you have until empty.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I didn't read the whole thread so it's probably been mentioned but the dna 250 board is actually close to 100% efficient.

A few things though... Only a few manufacturers sell them with case/battery analyzer run, and internal resistance set. Hcigar is not one of them and these things do make a huge difference in battery efficiency and on temperature control.

Basically the board you got is designed to be used with escribe, it's benefits in use are mostly in TC, in wattage mode and without the right settings, it functions no different than, like a joyetech board for example.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
BTW I was just curious, I always wonder why wattage-only users would want a dna board when they could get something much less fiddley and cheaper that functions the same, what's the made you decide to get one?

eta, nvm read your post again, that's what happens when I skim over stuff. But if you do get your mod set up and start using TC you will see your battery performance go way up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread