• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Have A Bible Question? Ask it Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That has always been a "popular" question. They even mentioned it in Sagan's book and the movie "Contact."

Mrs. Cain was one of one of Adam and Eve's children, or possibly grandchildren. They did live until they were 900 years old, and were in perfect physical health. They had a lot of children. They had to have, because we are all descended from Adam and Eve.

Cain

~A

Last edited:

Bigham1

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Camden, SC
Good question Lisa, I have pondered this thought many times. The only answer I can come up with is that if you read the begining of Genesis it speaks of the creation of man twice. The first time is when God created man. The next time is when the Lord god created Adam and Eve.

Now it appears that there are two gods. God and the Lord god. Lord means son. Does this mean God has a son?

The creation of man is probably the single most important part of the old testament. So why would they repete this part twice. I have always been told that this is just how it was translated. But I don't believe that. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the bible.

Another question is when Cain slew Able why did Cain insist the God mark him so that no one kills him if there were only 3 people left on earth?

Bigham1

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Camden, SC
That has always been a "popular" question. They even mentioned it in Saga's book and the movie "Contact."

Mrs. Cain was one of one of Adam and Eve's children, or possibly grandchildren. They did live until they were 900 years old, and were in perfect physical health. They had a lot of children. They had to have, because we are all descended from Adam and Eve.

Cain

~A

Well Angel,

Mrs. Cain can not be Adam and Eve's child or grand child. According to the bible. Cain went to nod and married before Eve had any other children.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Good question Lisa, I have pondered this thought many times. The only answer I can come up with is that if you read the begining of Genesis it speaks of the creation of man twice. The first time is when God created man. The next time is when the Lord god created Adam and Eve.

Now it appears that there are two gods. God and the Lord god. Lord means son. Does this mean God has a son?

The creation of man is probably the single most important part of the old testament. So why would they repete this part twice. I have always been told that this is just how it was translated. But I don't believe that. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the bible.

Another question is when Cain slew Able why did Cain insist the God mark him so that no one kills him if there were only 3 people left on earth?

Creation of man twice? I don't remember that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention! LOL!

The whole "they will kill me" thing always bothered me too, who is "THEY"?????????????????????????

It couldn't have been cains brothers and sisters, no way! I never believed that for one minute. "they" are definately strangers in a foreign land, dangerous ones probably too or else he wouldn't have been afraid of them.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee

Why the story of Adam & Eve? Lineage of Christ...period

2 times of creation of people?....plausible. The Jewish/Hebrew Midrash even tells that Adam had a first wife named Lilith. It was in fact Lilith (actually her story) who caused all the problems at Ephesus in Timothy's ministry. Hence Paul said what he said concerning women teaching.

As far as being Adam & Eve's children being that numerable on earth at the time of the murder is questionable. If the boys were the first born..then there would have been about 15-18 years of child bearing. How many people could there possibly be? certainly Cain would have been the oldest and strongest of the children..what is there to fear?

The Bible says that Eve is "the mother of all living". She is...through Noah. Noah is of Eve's lineage. The flood wiped everyone else out except for Noah and his family. Eve the mother of all living? Absolutely

Last edited:

Bigham1

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Camden, SC
Good questions guys, same things I've thought myself over the years too. It's time for some answers, we need to figure this stuff out! :)

I don't think it will get figured out. This is one of those things that preachers tell you that you can't take the translation verbatim. Yet other parts of the bible we are told we have to take it word for word. My thing is either you take it all word for word or the rest of it will gets to be meaningless.

Just like most christians say the bible says that you shouldn't drink alcohol. Yet Jesus condones drinking by turning the water into wine. The Answer I have gotten from that statement were well the wine was much much weaker back then. Jesus said " Do not be drunk when I come back" Which means to me is that do not ignore me your hole life and when I come back you say well i didn't know or start acting right to try to get into heaven.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I don't think it will get figured out. This is one of those things that preachers tell you that you can't take the translation verbatim. Yet other parts of the bible we are told we have to take it word for word. My thing is either you take it all word for word or the rest of it will gets to be meaningless.

Just like most christians say the bible says that you shouldn't drink alcohol. Yet Jesus condones drinking by turning the water into wine. The Answer I have gotten from that statement were well the wine was much much weaker back then. Jesus said " Do not be drunk when I come back" Which means to me is that do not ignore me your hole life and when I come back you say well i didn't know or start acting right to try to get into heaven.

I think the wine thing is easy to figure out. It's ok to have a glass or two, but it's not ok to get pissy drunk and become an alcoholic. Everything in moderation. It only becomes a problem when it becomes your god, takes over your life, and destroys your mind and thinking abilities.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009

2 times of creation of people?....plausible. The Jewish/Hebrew Midrash even tells that Adam had a first wife named Lilith. It was in fact Lilith (actually her story) who caused all the problems at Ephesus in Timothy's ministry. Hence Paul said what he said concerning women teaching.

As far as being Adam & Eve's children being that numerable on earth at the time of the murder is questionable. If the boys were the first born..then there would have been about 15-18 years of child bearing. How many people could there possibly be? certainly Cain would have been the oldest and strongest of the children..what is there to fear?

The Bible says that Eve is "the mother of all living". She is...through Noah. Noah is of Eve's lineage. The flood wiped everyone else out except for Noah and his family. Eve the mother of all living? Absolutely

I"ve read all about Lilith too, but I didn't want to bring it up because it's kinda controversial, so I'm glad you brought it up! LOL!

Also interesting is that the name Adam means "red". Could Adam have been the first white man and there were other tribes and races created before Adam?????? Some people say the hebrew word means "red complexion" and others are saying it means "red earth". Who is right?????? It's kind of important.

There are some people teaching this theory about adam being the first white man, I read about it last week. The only problem with their teaching is that they are twisting it into a racial debate, which I won't even consider because we are all equal.

Last edited:

Bigham1

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Camden, SC

I can buy the lineage of Christ story. But when people tell a story they don't say it twice. You would just tell the story of adam and eve not tell it twice. Correct?

If your telling of Christ's lineage wouldn't you want this to be correct? In that case you would list all of their kin. So based on that we are back to square one. The lineage would be as written adam, eve, cain, able(killed)Cains wife then seth. It just doesn't make sense to me why we are to take the bible as written in some spots and not others. It leaves a bad taste.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I came across this writing called The Testament of Adam in my searches. It says that it comes from the Syriac or The Cave of Treasures, I have no idea exactly what that is.

"Adam said to Seth his son: ‘I have heard, my son, that God will come to the world after a long time. He will be conceived by a virgin and wear a body and be born like a human being and mature like a child. He will perform signs and wonders upon earth—walking upon the waves of the sea, rebuking the winds so that they abate, beckoning the waves that they cease (rolling), opening (the eyes) of the blind, cleansing lepers, causing the deaf to hear, giving speech to the mute, straightening those who are bent, strengthening the paralyzed, finding the lost, expelling devils, casting out demons.

For He said to me in Paradise after I had plucked some of the fruit which concealed Death within it: "Adam, Adam, do not fear. You wished to become a god. I shall make you a god, not now, but after a period of many years. I shall deliver you over to Death, and the maggot and worm will consume your body."

I answered, saying to him, "Why, my Lord?" He said to me: "Because you hearkened to the words of the serpent, you and your descendants shall serve as food for the serpent. But after a brief time mercy shall be shown to you, for you were created in My image, and I will not abandon you to waste away in Sheol. For your sake I shall be born from the virgin Miriam, and for your sake I shall experience Death and enter the realm of Death. For your sake I shall fashion new heavens, and I shall set your descendants in (positions of) authority among them. After three days in the grave, I shall resuscitate the body which I wore on your account, and I shall set you at the right hand of My divine station, and I shall make you divine like you wished. I accept (this) freely, and shall restore you and your descendants, for this is the justice of heaven."

I (also) learned, my son Seth, that a Flood will come and purge the entire earth on account of the descendants of Cain your brother. Because of (his) jealousy for Lebuda your sister, he murdered your brother Abel. Similarly, due to your mother Eve, sins came into existence. And after the Flood, the years for the (continued) appearance of the world will be 6000 years. And then its end will come.’

And I Seth wrote down this testament. My father died and was buried east of Paradise, opposite the first city to be built on earth, which was named Enoch. Adam was accompanied (to the grave) by angels and heavenly powers because he was created in the image of God. The sun and moon grew dark, and there was thick darkness for seven days. We sealed the testament and placed it in the Cave of Treasures with the offerings which Adam had brought out from Paradise—gold, myrrh, and incense. And the Magi, the sons of kings, came and removed them, and brought them to the Son of God in the cave at Bethlehem of Judaea."

Finished is the testament of our ancestor Adam.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Using the ages of the fathers when each son was born (that whole "begat" stuff) and ages of men when certain events happened, and a lot of arithmetic, the flood of Noah's time happened in 2349 BC. So add that to 2010 and the answer is 4359 years ago.

Here is a timeline of Bible events (pdf) : http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v27/i4/TimelineOfTheBible.pdf

~A

Last edited:

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Ok Southern Gent, I"m still waiting to have my mind blown with your answers to the where did cain get his wife, was Adam really the first man, who was Lilith, and stuff!!!!!! :)

I really doubt that Adam was the first man. The argument made is that Hebrew writing is "spatial". This means that the story is in the beginning summed up and then retold in detail. We see this certainly with Kings & Chronicles. Here is where it gets complicated. Though the first 5 books (Pentateuch) were attributed to Moses, they were actually done by Baruch, Jeremiah's scribe. We would need now to understand Baruch's style of writing. Did Baruch write "spatially"? The answer is yes & no. He did but not in the form that would account for what we see in Genesis. If we would be correct in our summation of Baruch's style, that leaves us with the issue of two different accounts of creation. Theologically why do we need Adam & Eve? Purely for the lineage of Christ. There is also the issue of Cain's fear. He told God "don't send me out there because they will kill me". If "they" were his brothers/sisters we have a problem. Cain would certainly be the elder and therefore stronger of these children with little concern over their power to do him harm. What conclusions can be made? 1) Cain & Abel were not the 1st born or 2) there were indeed other peoples on the face of the earth. Now the Bible says that Eve is "the mother of all living". How can this be if there were other people? During the flood every living person was killed except for Noah and his family. Is there a contradiction in what the Bible says? If one traces back we will find that Noah was of Eve's lineage. Since Noah is of this lineage and the only surviving peoples on the face of the earth, then Eve is in fact the mother of all lineage. Can we or will we ever know for certain? All I can tell you is to ask God when you get there. I doubt seriously that anyone will really care at that point. :p

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Capt. Crusier checking in! I agree with SG that it's questions to ask God the Father when we get there, but in all honesty, none of that interests me. I guess I'm a Jesus sell-out. I am sooooo glad I was born under Grace. The Lord knows how I hate to kill anything and just couldn't do sacrifices. Old Testament law states that when a woman was in her cycle, she was considered unclean. At the end of her cycle, she would have to sacrifice a dove outside of camp.

Don't like fish either. At the feeding of the 5,000, I would have asked for macaroni and cheese and an extra helping of bread. I don't like lamb. I guess I would have been a good candidate for manna. Now THAT was cool!!!!!!:2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread