• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bible Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
While we search the scriptures, there are other verses that we just KNOW are in the Bible! And then, upon searching, we find out that they aren't--not like they are quoted at least. One such phrase used is "Cleanliness is next to godliness". That isn't found anywhere in the Bible. How many of these "verses" are actually found in the Bible?

1)Where your heart is, there is your treasure also."

2) “Money is the root of all evil.”

3) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

4) “Spare the rod and spoil the child.”

5) “The lion shall lay down with the lamb.”

6) "Pride goeth before a fall."

7) “The Lord helps those that help themselves.”

8) “The Lord works in mysterious ways.”

9) "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Last edited:

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
1)Where your heart is, there is your treasure also."

Matthew 6:21
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

2) “Money is the root of all evil.”

I Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

3) "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Matthew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

4) “Spare the rod and spoil the child.”

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24)

"Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)

5) “The lion shall lay down with the lamb.”

Isaiah 11
6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling[a] together;
and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the LORD
as the waters cover the sea.

6) "Pride goeth before a fall."

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

7) “The Lord helps those that help themselves.”

Jer 17:5 (NIV) This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD."
Prov 28:26 (NIV) He who trusts in himself is a fool...

8) “The Lord works in mysterious ways.”

Although true and the Word testifies to His mysterious ways, there is no one scripture that is written exactly like this.
1 Timothy 3
16Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:
He appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

And Paul in Ephesians speaks of the mystery
2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. 6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. 10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11 according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. 13 I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

9) "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Closest I could find

Proverbs 21:20
The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Slight misquotes that dramatically change the meaning. Here are the exact quotes, or the passages I believe the misquotes came from - NIV translation.

1) For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Mat 6:21

2) For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Tim 6:10

3) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30,31

4) Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them. Prov 13:24

5) The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. Isaiah 11:6

6) Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Prov 16:18

7) Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD their God. Psalm 146:5

8) “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

9) Why should fools have money in hand to buy wisdom, when they are not able to understand it? Prob 17:16​

Those are just my guesses. Some of those sayings may not come from the Bible at all, but are considered such truisms that they must come from the Bible. Kind of like "separation of church and state" must be in the Constitution.

~A

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Slight misquotes that dramatically change the meaning. Here are the exact quotes, or the passages I believe the misquotes came from - NIV translation.

1) For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Mat 6:21

2) For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Tim 6:10

3) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30,31

4) Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them. Prov 13:24

5) The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. Isaiah 11:6

6) Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Prov 16:18

7) Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD their God. Psalm 146:5

8) “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

9) Why should fools have money in hand to buy wisdom, when they are not able to understand it? Prob 17:16​

Those are just my guesses. Some of those sayings may not come from the Bible at all, but are considered such truisms that they must come from the Bible. Kind of like "separation of church and state" must be in the Constitution.

~A

Ooh...some great ones Angelique!

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Wow! You guys are on the ball! And you're right, Angelique, "verses" 1-7 are "slight" misquotes but that can dramatically change the meaning. But these misquotes can be heard so often that we come to believe that they are actually in the Bible. "Verses" 7-9 never were Bible verses--even misquoted ones.

"Verse" 7 is just plain bad doctrine but that doesn't keep it from being quoted as truth. We are to look to the Lord for help, hope, and salvation. (That does NOT mean that someone should sit around on the couch doing nothing, as Christians we have word to do! And we should not neglect it while making our "dreams come true"!)

lmrasch, you're right. You didn't find #8 in the Bible. It's paraphrased from a hymn written by William Cowper in the 18th century.

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

And #9 appeared is a proverb found in the poem "Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry" by Thomas Tusser.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Misconception:
"The tower of Babel (Gen 11) is where we got all of out languages from."

Read Chapter Gen 10 and find over 50 tribes from the sons of Noah, each with their own language.
Gen 11:1 "Now the whole earth was of one toungue" - Dig in the Hebrew and we find it means "a common tongue".

The common tongue that allowed all of the tribes to communicate was confused. But every pastor I know teaches we had one language, and many languages were born on that day.

I think that Gen 10 is concidered a boring read so it is missed by most everyone. If you read chapter 10 and 11 you get "many-1" if you only read chapter 11 you get "from 1, many".

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Misconception:
"The tower of Babel (Gen 11) is where we got all of out languages from."

Read Chapter Gen 10 and find over 50 tribes from the sons of Noah, each with their own language.
Gen 11:1 "Now the whole earth was of one toungue" - Dig in the Hebrew and we find it means "a common tongue".

The common tongue that allowed all of the tribes to communicate was confused. But every pastor I know teaches we had one language, and many languages were born on that day.

I think that Gen 10 is concidered a boring read so it is missed by most everyone. If you read chapter 10 and 11 you get "many-1" if you only read chapter 11 you get "from 1, many".

In Genesis 1 we are told that man was created on the 6th day (both male and female). Genesis 2 then gives more details about their creation. (Sort of like a close up) When I read Genesis 10 I get the same impression. For example, "3 The sons of Gomer were Ashkenaz, Riphath,[a] and Togarmah. 4 The sons of Javan were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim. 5 From these the coastland peoples of the Gentiles were separated into their lands, everyone according to his language, according to their families, into their nations." In chapter 11, we're told that they refused to be separated into their own lands. Instead they wanted to build a city on the plains of Shinar. God confused their language and they then went to "their lands everyone according to his language" as God had told them to do in the first place.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Good job, Imrasch. You posted while I was writing my reply. We have some different answers. (I totally missed Luke 6:31) But both the verses you posted, and the ones that I posted, show that slight variations in wording can make for huge differences in meaning. I love BibleGateway.com. I can compare tons of translations, and by comparison, hope to get the general gist of the verse.

That does bring up a slightly different problem so many people have. A single verse out of context can be interpreted as meaning (or used to suggest) something other than what was meant. Context is important. Further, on that subject, even a whole passage might seem odd unless we know the customs of the people for whom the book was written. The epistles were each written to specific peoples, with their own unique customs and circumstances.

An example that comes to mind is 1Corinthians 14:34 that says women should not speak in church. It was the custom, at that time and place, for all the men to sit on one side and all the women on the other. If a woman wanted to say something to her husband, she would have had to yell across the room. Which would be distracting, to say the least. Another example, and I cannot remember where it is nor find it right now, says men should not were their hair long and women shouldn't cut their hair short. Well, I think Jesus had long hair, and John the Baptist definitely did, so that doesn't make any sense unless you look at the customs of the area. Homosexuality was rampant in that city. A man wearing his hair long, or a woman with hers short, was advertisement of his or her sexual orientation. I believe it was an admonition against homosexuality, and not mere style advice.

I forgot to address the "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" saying. I guess it was a good way to get kids to wash behind their ears LOL. One possibility is Titus 2 which speaks to young women about their duties, one of which is keeping her home. Being a slovenly housekeeper would go against that, and make her not a Godly woman. Another possibility is the Law given in Leviticus, many of the rules are related to cleanliness. These were for health reasons - God knew all about pathogens and hygiene. But these were the law, and following the law, prior to the age of Grace, is what got you close to God.

Disclaimer: These are all just my opinions and guesses. If they aren't of my own invention and I heard these theories somewhere, I can't possibly give citations, so it doesn't count. It makes sense to me, and appears to be in accord with the Bible. If anything I said doesn't make sense to you, discard it. If anything I said is counter to what the Bible says, definitely discard it and please correct me (lovingly)

Be well,
~A

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Disclaimer: These are all just my opinions and guesses. If they aren't of my own invention and I heard these theories somewhere, I can't possibly give citations, so it doesn't count. It makes sense to me, and appears to be in accord with the Bible. If anything I said doesn't make sense to you, discard it. If anything I said is counter to what the Bible says, definitely discard it and please correct me (lovingly)

Be well,
~A

Haha...Gotta love it! I may steal that as my tag, lol!

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
The verse I've most often heard misquoted is 'God helps those who help themselves' and I usually just politely respond by saying 'Scripture shows us God helps those who can't help themselves and rely on Him"

These verses illustrate this well but there could be more;

(Psalms 40:16-17 NKJV) Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; Let such as love Your salvation say continually, "The LORD be magnified!" {17} But I am poor and needy; Yet the LORD thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God.

(Psalms 42:5 NKJV) Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance.

(Psalms 46:1 NKJV) God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.

(Psalms 54:4 NKJV) Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is with those who uphold my life.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Originally Posted by angelique510

Be well,
~A

Haha...Gotta love it! I may steal that as my tag, lol!

Oh Amen! Me too! (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread