Guide to Vaping Fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Drake

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2014
Gulf Coast
A common question I see across boards and in internet articles alike is about vapers tongue or as I call it vapers fatigue. So, I decided I would dedicate a thread to explaining what I've learned through research and personal experience on the matter to possibly get rid of some of the confusion surrounding the topic. Most of the information I will detail will be more of a review for most vapers as they are probably all to familiar with it. However, there are more and more people transitioning to vaping every day, and my hope is that this will in some way help.

Note: This is not meant to be an all inclusive professional/medical account but rather a brief overview that is grounded in research and my personal experiences with the issue. As with most things, especially vaping, your mileage may vary.

Vapers Fatigue/Vapers Tongue is a common problem that new and experienced vapers experience, and it can be from a multitude of different causes. When one first quits smoking and/or transitions into vaping, the taste buds become alive again in a sense. Think of it as a system reboot for tasting things all over. Now, most people will tell you that when you begin vaping, be sure to drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is of the utmost importance because they keeps your mouth, tongue and throat hydrated with moisture. The evaporative process that is vaping is essentially heating up the juice and turning it into vapor (obvious I know). The steam that you inhale/exhale soaks in moisture from your mouth and dries it up. This can lead to "cotton mouth" as well as burning sensations in your throat and on your tongue. Another common reason why one might experience vapers fatigue is because they have been vaping the same juice over and over day in and day out. One example that comes to mind when I think of this is with cologne/perfume. When you put it on the morning and go about your day, you don't notice it as much after a while, but you may notice someone comment on the aroma of it at some point during the day when you no longer smell it. This is because your senses have become dulled to it or rather the smell is familiar and just sort of gets processed a normal smell. One thing you can do to fix this is to change up flavors! You can keep a steady rotation of flavors in and out. Keeping proper oral hygiene is also important. Be sure to brush regularly (including the tongue) as this will help.

However, even following all these suggestions, it is certainly still possible to experience vapers fatigue. The following are some things that I personally have found and used that were helpful, but I do realize they may seem crazy ha. I have found that sniffing (just the smell of course) coffee does wonders cleansing my sense of smell. I also drink coffee too, and that will help. Cough Drops with menthol also work well for me. I'll suck on them for a while and let the menthol clear my senses and coat my tongue/mouth. This also helps to heal up any possible burning you may have from a dried out throat and the steam/vapor. Another thing I will do is use a little honey and either eat it raw or mix it with some tea and enjoy that. Taking a break from vaping for a few hours (especially if you vape from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed and don't sleep a whole lot) also does wonders. Giving your mouth time to recharge so to speak can prove to be valuable when tasting your vapor is important.

Even more things you can do: Vaping non-flavored nicotine liquid/juice for a day or two can be very helpful giving your senses time to recover/readjust so to speak. I touched on this earlier in this post, but rotating your juices in and out either daily or throughout the day is a fantastic way to combat vapers fatigue. Personally, I have about 3 or 4 juices that I consider "All Day Vapes" meaning I can use any one of these all day long and not grow tired of it. I also have several other juices that I like at certain times of the day or when I'm in the mood for something different. Realistically, I realize this won't be the case for every individual out there, but even having a couple different juices to switch between throughout the day (if you don't have multiple ADV's) can keep your senses from ever fully adjusting to a particular flavor.

I hope this brief overview will be of assistance to some people. I want to reiterate that this is not a complete guide by any means and should continually be improved and updated. But, I hope this will at least give some possible troubleshooting to the issue, and that it will help some folks out (or at least point them in the right direction).

Vape Strong,

Doc Drake

Last edited:

Doc Drake

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2014
Gulf Coast
Very well done and great advice. :thumbs:

Awwww look at my little southern scientist. I'm proud of you Doc. :banana:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Haha why thank you Evie :) That means a lot! I've personally gone through this a few times so I wanted to throw out some suggestions as to how to fix it and/or combat it. I've found that it usually lasts anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days (though I have heard of some major issues where people had the problem persist for weeks and even months!). Cracked me up with that southern scientist part though :laugh:

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
Would be nice if miss Cinder would sticky this, because I suspect a lot of newbies who go through this dont even realize that others go through it too, and end up heading back to analogs cause they have no idea of the "science" behind this sensation.

p.s. great write up and summation of info :)

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Excellent information and so well stated. Thank you, Doc Drake!

Kringle's is my cleansing vape of choice, especially in the evening.

I drink lots of water, always have. But I notice a variation on vaper's tongue where it seems like I can taste a powdery, almost medicine flavor. I used an asthma inhaler long ago (allergy related) and had that same sensation. May have been PG based. Anyone else experience this? I may have to try higher VG - but I love Halo flavors, which I know are higher PG.

Lucienbel

Mar 5, 2014
Boston
I find that the coffee thing works really well too. I grind my coffee in the morning, and when I finish grinding it I've been taking a few deep inhales (not sucking up the grinds though obviously) and this seems to solve all my problems for the day. I've also been experiencing a bit of mucus (I just switched to vaping exclusively a little more than a week ago) and gargling with salt water once a day seems to help with this immensely as well.

Doc Drake

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2014
Gulf Coast
Glad you guys have liked the post so far! Fallen, I agree completely with your statement about new people not knowing what is going on, and that was the primary reason for making this post so I appreciate the comment very much!

Also, LAwaters I have experienced what you're talking about, and I'm not entirely positive on it, but sometimes I do get that taste in my mouth, but I've also noticed that if I introduce some other tastes to my mouth when I drink some sort of beverage and eat and then let that sit for about 10-15 minutes that it's not as bad. This usually happens to me sometime in the afternoon or early evening. I'm still working on that though :) Lucienbel-COFFEE :D

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
I hate being so graphic, but nobody wants to mention how Analogs make you inevitably spit, and to a slightly less extent vaping does too. :glare:

Um... I smoked for +25 years, and have been vaping daily since january of this year, neither activity has every made me need to "inevitably spit".

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
You never had the need to spit with analogs either?

Both initiate additional saliva production as a natural response.

My daughter has that response, but I never did. Years ago, I worked for an orthodontist, and treatment sometimes involved removable appliances that were worse than retainers. We would warn people that there might be a lot of saliva, mainly because it's a natural response - the body thinks it is food and saliva production is the first part of digestion. Some patients would tell us they had a lot, some almost none. Depends on the person. Makes sense with smoking or vaping, since it is a flavor.

@ Doc Drake - again, thanks for the info! I feel less crazy about that weird taste. Eating, drinking and taking a break helps me too. I'll have to check back when I get around to trying higher VG juice. Yay, I can buy more and blame science experiments! :)

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
My daughter has that response, but I never did. Years ago, I worked for an orthodontist, and treatment sometimes involved removable appliances that were worse than retainers. We would warn people that there might be a lot of saliva, mainly because it's a natural response - the body thinks it is food and saliva production is the first part of digestion. Some patients would tell us they had a lot, some almost none. Depends on the person. Makes sense with smoking or vaping, since it is a flavor.

@ Doc Drake - again, thanks for the info! I feel less crazy about that weird taste. Eating, drinking and taking a break helps me too. I'll have to check back when I get around to trying higher VG juice. Yay, I can buy more and blame science experiments! :)

Thank you! I knew I wasn't going crazy and that there was a biological response.

Not that there's a remedy for it, just a bi-product some of us have to deal with. :blink:

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
You never had the need to spit with analogs either?

Both initiate additional saliva production as a natural response.

only time i ever needed to spit with analogs is when i started smoking unfiltered and a fleck of tobacco would get on my tongue, then i would spit it out on occasion.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Thank you! I knew I wasn't going crazy and that there was a biological response.

Not that there's a remedy for it, just a bi-product some of us have to deal with. :blink:

As long as you don't sully some poor bystander's shoes, it's all good, :) My daughter learned to warn me so i had time to look away. Changing diapers back in the day, check. Watching her spit, not so much.

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
As long as you don't sully some poor bystander's shoes, it's all good, :) My daughter learned to warn me so i had time to look away. Changing diapers back in the day, check. Watching her spit, not so much.

LOL! That is rich. :laugh:

I congregate with a few smokers that do the same, but not nearly as much as me, good to know it's not something to be ashamed of, as it's truthfully out of my control.

It's only a hazard while driving... I have to send it out the window when there aren't any cars next to me. Maybe that's a little too much introspect. :blink:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
LOL! That is rich. :laugh:

I congregate with a few smokers that do the same, but not nearly as much as me, good to know it's not something to be ashamed of, as it's truthfully out of my control.

It's only a hazard while driving... I have to send it out the window when there aren't any cars next to me. Maybe that's a little too much introspect. :blink:

A portable spittoon to fit in your cupholder should do the trick! Add a li'l bit of mouthwash to the cup before you hit the road so it doesn't smell bad, and you're all set! (Okay, I'm kidding. And we might be in danger of being asked politely to stop hijacking this thread with nasty subjects. ;) )

roadkill46

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Arizona
i will drink plenty of water throughout the day, have to, live in desert, so it is a given. water gets boring so i keep a bunch of the generic, ie cheaper, MIO flavoring at home and at the office. i have a few ADV's so given the chose one for today for work which is homemade strawberry/peach tobacco 24mg, i'll break out the peach flavoring for my water. seems to intensify the vape at least for me. diet mountain dew or sprite tends to kick things up also. gives the tongue a break plus the acidity cleans it. YMMV.

Doc Drake

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2014
Gulf Coast
i will drink plenty of water throughout the day, have to, live in desert, so it is a given. water gets boring so i keep a bunch of the generic, ie cheaper, MIO flavoring at home and at the office. i have a few ADV's so given the chose one for today for work which is homemade strawberry/peach tobacco 24mg, i'll break out the peach flavoring for my water. seems to intensify the vape at least for me. diet mountain dew or sprite tends to kick things up also. gives the tongue a break plus the acidity cleans it. YMMV.

I too switch things up a little here and there. Water I love, and drink a ton of but when I want energy and don't feel like drinking coffee either because I don't want something hot or because I just am not in the mood, I'll use some G Fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread