Going back to smoking analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

candik

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Central, New Jersey
Candik-- WHEW! My desires are from the habit too. Like this morning, on the way to work, I rolled down the window on my truck and tried to ash my vape. :facepalm: I am also constantly looking for an ashtray and a lighter. It's strange, I am noticing how much time and thought really went into smoking.

Right? I noticed the first few days off I had when I walked my Significant Other out when he's leaving for work, I felt like I was missing something. (I used to carry my cigarettes and lighter out and "stage" them so I'd be all set to smoke as he's going down the driveway!) When we're both leaving for work, I used to step outside a few minutes earlier and smoke a half of one. Now my lazy rump can hit the snooze one more time! (Love the snooze button!) I still have a half a pack hanging around but no desire for them at all. I know eventually I'll toss them out or give them away. (Surprisingly, my non smoking SO is encouraging me to keep them for a "just in case" but I know he's rooting for me to stand strong!) When ever I step out on the porch, I see the .... can I used to use. I can't throw it away since one of the band members still smokes and uses it. (He's my target convert project in progress!)

It is surprising, when you stop and think about it, just how much we adjust our lives to accommodate smoking. In some way, it's kinda like instead of fitting smoking into our day, we fit our day around smoking. Changing to vaping has given me freedom in my day to day I didn't realize I gave up. Every day I count the ways vaping has made a positive impact in my world. Although I wish I had made the decision to do this earlier, I console myself with the action of doing it now.

I'm glad you're having such an easy time with the transition so far. I sure hope it continues this way for you! I have faith that you will succeed and become even more of an encouragement to those who are thinking of or just starting down this road.:thumbs:

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
It took me a month to stop fishing in my pocket for a lighter that wasn't there. Recently it hasn't been that I wanted to smoke. I just have the urge to go outside to do it. So darned if I am not once in awhile picking up my vamo and stepping outside with it. hehehehehehehe

Lol I have lighters on my night stand and I feel the need to grab one. Sometimes I pat the back of my pants of wait I forgot something. Those dang habits lol

NancyB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
AZ/USA
www.davidshome.com
Candik-- WHEW! My desires are from the habit too. Like this morning, on the way to work, I rolled down the window on my truck and tried to ash my vape. :facepalm: I am also constantly looking for an ashtray and a lighter. It's strange, I am noticing how much time and thought really went into smoking.
I had to read this reply of yours to my hubby - he's seen me do similar things around the house (RV), graciously NOT commenting when seeing me turning around looking for this or that re my previous smoking paraphernalia (?sp) - I went into our storage shed yesterday after 5 full months without a smoke and saw my ashtray and cigs box and lighter sitting there - just in case - and went YUCK! no way! I've taken a few puffs on a smoke and they tasted awful ! I just love the vaping and the lack of the stink I was ever so conscience of because of comments continuously! I was in the Post Office yesterday and for the first time smelled 'smoke' on another as she walked in... wow! my smeller is working again after that 20 yr habit !! that was nice to experience :) I've noted others are aware of their taste buds working again big time.... Vape on! or keep trying, you'll find the 'right combo' of things that satisfies all your needs - just don't quit trying, then you won't have to start all over again, and again (grin).

NancyB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
AZ/USA
www.davidshome.com
Welcome , and it took almost 6 months , before I stopped thinking about cigarettes , but then one day , the cravings just went away . Been at this now for over two years , as has my wife . Hopefully your husband will come around . But don't try to shove it down his throat . He will try it when he feels like it . Maybe while your out shopping , or whatever . Leave a device with some great tasting juice laying around , when you go out . You never know , he might give it a try . Be sure to kind of mention the difference in drawing and inhaling on an e-cig , compared to a regular cigarette . Wouldn't want to gag him the first time he's tries it . Good Luck
Just stopping in here to read and share - I totally agree with your comments! Tho it was only me, the wife, who stunk up our living space (mostly outside)... but hubby would comment about my need for a smoke and he'd wait patiently for me to finish outside the truck in our travels (we're fulltime RVers in our retirement)... he's now expecting to wait after we 'eat out' while I have a vape and he no longer has to endure those 'waits' cuz I can vape in the truck as we go (he says there is NO unpleasant aroma from me vaping in our rig or our truck etc.!!) I find it hard to believe since my smeller is wacko after 20+ yrs this time around... He laughs when I ask him one more time just to make sure I'm not offending his smeller (grin). It seems HE is also having to make adjustments to his thinking, his habits accommodating my old stinkies, etc. I was online trying to decide to spend some more money on something and ran it past him for an ok when he said to me "whatever you want!! I'm in favor of." now that was a biggy!! I'd never heard him voice his total approval of me spending money in any direction before - haha - and was thrilled he was backing me up - so, 6 mos later and perhaps $1,000 - but it's working and I've found the devices I like to work with and a couple flavors that satisfy my differing needs - now I'm working on mixing my own juices and lowering my nic levels in them - it simply is working GREAT! I'd add to the comments that there WILL BE things to trip you up - make it easier to go backwards, but just know that with alllll the available choices out there in vaping, it IS POSSIBLE to find what works best for you as an individual - colors, sizes, flavors, throat hits, vape quantities, rebuildables, it goes on and on... just take the time it takes to find your own combinations and do what you need to do to achieve that success - it's ok to try things and not like them and look some more, etc. I found when I went to lower the nic levels that the stages I chose were pretty much not noticeable (18mg, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3, 0) which got me reading some more... a lot of our apprehensions are in our heads, not our body reactions! I learned nic is like caffeine also - wow! so am not as adamant about eliminating it as a goal now. I know there are times I'm under stress and need more, and tend to puff more, but tis ok - I'm not smoking anymore!! yeah! haha hope this helps others - turning to vaping has been a breeze compared to cold turkey, patches, nic gum, and all the rest (that didn't work for me). I pray you'll all find your 'sweet spot' too as well as the good feeling of finally having done the same - quit the stinkies and those horrid health hazards. (retired as a legal secretary - my apologies for the length of this!)

Xcighippy

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
OC CA
i didn't have a hard time switching over, but i did find myself vaping quite a bit when i first started and even more so now. after a couple of days without having an analog, i had one last night and it actually tasted weird to me.

I too found myself vaping pretty much all the time when I first quit the analogs. Now about 4 months into it I have fell into a routine that suits my daily schedule. The thing I find fascinating is that I found something that completely replaces smoking after 40+ yrs with NO problem. Actually it's way better than smoking. You actually taste the flavor. My coworkers smoke and I never had the smell bother me untill now! WOW I cant believe I actually liked that smell! I try'd one the other day, just out of curiosity and put it out after two drags.

jbsytes

Jun 5, 2013
Spanaway, WA. USA
If you have a comfortable nic level in your juice, and you vape on natural reaction, you shouldn't experience withdrawl at all. I didn't crave the analog, I just went around looking for them with my vape in hand. My wife was still smoking and when she went outside to smoke, I would sometimes go out with her. But inside of a min, I was going back in because the smell made my stomach turn.

You might have a reaction to habit, but don't confuse that with withdrawl. We all had to break the pick'em up habit.

Keep strong and enjoy the fresh air.

Steemax

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
SoCal
Welcome to the club... analogs are the thing of the past!:)

For me the worst was the first week, after that I had even forgotten how it feels like to hold a cigarette in my hand. The second hand even irritates the hell out of me now, and I'm sure it would taste terrible if I tried after 3 months of no analogs.

Keep up the good work! The rewards are great!

SeaTownLassy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Seattle, WA USA
i didn't have a hard time switching over, but i did find myself vaping quite a bit when i first started and even more so now. after a couple of days without having an analog, i had one last night and it actually tasted weird to me.

Same here. I'm a month cig free so far....but forgot that I took my mods out of my vest pockets last night (they usually don't ever leave my pockets)...and I was in such a rush to get out the door that I did a "Doh!!" when I got on the freeway. I ruefully bought a pack of smokes (even forgot my snus and snuff!!) and inadvertently took a 10 second drag one that first cig just like how I vape. Blech!!! It tasted so weird and the hit was so nasty it almost made me gag, so I put it out after that drag. Thank goodness it tasted like blech because I don't think I'll be going back to cigs anytime soon. lol.

But....I wonder if this means I'm no longer a month at smoke free. :( ?????

ADCarter1

Jun 5, 2013
Upperco, MD
Well, my husband made the leap tonight to vaping-- we collected all of the ashtrays and lighters and shoved them in a drawer. Other than a mild headache, I'm now three days in and still going strong.

Someone out there said something about our hang ups about switching to vaping being more in our heads than anything else and I completely agree. I think my worry over switching was WAY worse than physically making the switch. Also, it helped that the guy at our local vaping store forced me to hand over my cigarettes- literally, he made me go out to my truck, get my cigarettes, and hand them over to him. Some people thought this was harsh but for me it was the ONLY way I would have ever made the switch. Had I been told I could vape and smoke, I would have NEVER in a million years made the switch to just vaping. It happened so fast I really didn't have time to overthink it, set a quit date, swear I would never pick up another cigarette, worry about it, blah, blah, blah.

A lot of you have talked about finding what works for me and I really appreciate that advice. These past 3 days I have been vaping a lot and trying to settle on a routine and a flavor(s). When we went back to the store tonight for my husband, I bought 4 more, different flavors (one was free because I referred my husband) just to try stuff out. The milder flavors work more for me (coffee, chocolate, etc) but in the morning and right after work I find I need the strong tobacco flavor. However, even though I just spent $100 on my first kit, I am already wanting to upgrade to something that produces more vapor. I am finding that I like a TON of vapor and my little unit (no idea what it's called. It has a clearomizer tank thingie and it's small) just doesn't produce that.

Thanks to EVERYONE who posted here. You made me laugh- lighting the end of your e-cigarette gave me a HUGE giggle- and have given me food (or vapor) for thought; made me realize that I'm not alone, just new; and answered questions I didn't even know I had. Thank you!

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
Well, my husband made the leap tonight to vaping-- we collected all of the ashtrays and lighters and shoved them in a drawer. Other than a mild headache, I'm now three days in and still going strong.

Someone out there said something about our hang ups about switching to vaping being more in our heads than anything else and I completely agree. I think my worry over switching was WAY worse than physically making the switch. Also, it helped that the guy at our local vaping store forced me to hand over my cigarettes- literally, he made me go out to my truck, get my cigarettes, and hand them over to him. Some people thought this was harsh but for me it was the ONLY way I would have ever made the switch. Had I been told I could vape and smoke, I would have NEVER in a million years made the switch to just vaping. It happened so fast I really didn't have time to overthink it, set a quit date, swear I would never pick up another cigarette, worry about it, blah, blah, blah.

A lot of you have talked about finding what works for me and I really appreciate that advice. These past 3 days I have been vaping a lot and trying to settle on a routine and a flavor(s). When we went back to the store tonight for my husband, I bought 4 more, different flavors (one was free because I referred my husband) just to try stuff out. The milder flavors work more for me (coffee, chocolate, etc) but in the morning and right after work I find I need the strong tobacco flavor. However, even though I just spent $100 on my first kit, I am already wanting to upgrade to something that produces more vapor. I am finding that I like a TON of vapor and my little unit (no idea what it's called. It has a clearomizer tank thingie and it's small) just doesn't produce that.

Thanks to EVERYONE who posted here. You made me laugh- lighting the end of your e-cigarette gave me a HUGE giggle- and have given me food (or vapor) for thought; made me realize that I'm not alone, just new; and answered questions I didn't even know I had. Thank you!

That is sooooooo cool y'all are doin it together. Love it congrats and way to go

ziggytrix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
I bought my first vape kit just to try out a new toy. My cig intake dropped dramatically over the course of 3 days, and on the third day I thought, "well that's odd, I didn't even have a cig today" and as I was having the obligatory bedtime smoke it tasted nasty and harsh. That was the last cig I had.

I do get the occasional craving. Mostly psychological triggers like finishing a meal or about to go to bed, but a bit of vaping and I'm content.

I'm only 3 weeks in, and I would have said it's too soon to tell but based on the stories others in this forum have shared I'm actually quite confident that I'm done with burning tobacco (yuck).

Natey

Moved On
May 26, 2013
I bought my first vape kit just to try out a new toy. My cig intake dropped dramatically over the course of 3 days, and on the third day I thought, "well that's odd, I didn't even have a cig today" and as I was having the obligatory bedtime smoke it tasted nasty and harsh. That was the last cig I had.

I do get the occasional craving. Mostly psychological triggers like finishing a meal or about to go to bed, but a bit of vaping and I'm content.

I'm only 3 weeks in, and I would have said it's too soon to tell but based on the stories others in this forum have shared I'm actually quite confident that I'm done with burning tobacco (yuck).

Good for you, keep it up, and remember that there is thousands of others on here to help you through it, so if your ever having a craving just get on the forums and we'll talk you down :thumbs: ... And your right smokes suck, and what really goes into your body should be enough reason to kick it...

GLBrocks

May 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I dabbled with smoking a little while after starting to vape. I tend to have the odd one here and there but mostly I vape. And by odd one I mean one every week to remind me to never go back to them. I do not even smoke the whole thing because it is nasty. I am thinking of just sticking with vaping now because reminding myself is a dumb thing to do. I should just move on and never look back.

ziggytrix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
Good for you, keep it up, and remember that there is thousands of others on here to help you through it, so if your ever having a craving just get on the forums and we'll talk you down :thumbs: ... And your right smokes suck, and what really goes into your body should be enough reason to kick it...

So far when I get the craving I just vape until it goes away! And thanks for the positive words! The people on this forum are uniformly awesome. :thumb:

Natey

Moved On
May 26, 2013
So far when I get the craving I just vape until it goes away! And thanks for the positive words! The people on this forum are uniformly awesome. :thumb:

Your welcome, and that just what i did till i didn't have the cravings, and like many others do is gain weight because they eat to deal with the cravings, yet with Vaping, I've lost weight and never turned to food as a backup. The best part is sometimes i just Vape some of my favorites in 0 nic and you can Vape it all day. Just remember its all in your mind, honestly if i was blindfolded and given the 0 nic juice i wouldn't even know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread