Going back to smoking analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADCarter1

Jun 5, 2013
Upperco, MD
Yesterday I went out and bought my first kit after smoking analogs for 15 years with a 1-2 PAD habit.

I'm noticing from reading that some people have had/are having a hard time making the switch. So far, a measly 24 hours in, I'm not having this issue and I'm starting to wonder why I'm not. I haven't had a craving for an analog cigarette all day even though my husband is an analog smoker. Actually, the smell of his smoking is nauseating me.

Is it too soon to tell? Do some people have a harder time than others? If you went back to analogs or had a hard time switching, what made it difficult for you? Is there a honeymoon period with vaping and a week from now I'm going to go back? :unsure:

I'm just trying to get an idea of the troubles others have had so I can be aware of the pitfalls and problems and can avoid them and FINALLY leave smoking analogs behind forever!

candik

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Central, New Jersey
Congratulations on making the switch to vaping!

Everyone switches differently. Like you, I didn't have any real cravings for a cigarette from the first vape. I did have some desires but they had more to do with habit than with need and were easily manageable. Now I don't even reach for my vape until I've been up for 8 - 13 hours. Others smoke and vape at the same time slowly weaning off the cigarettes and going more toward the vape. Some never give up the cigarettes.

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
Congrats to you! I was an analog smoker for 30 years. I started when I was 8 years old and hardly remember a time I did not have a pack of smokes on me. I started vaping and like you, did not have a craving for a cigarette. I am able to ride in the car with coworkers who smoke and it does not bother me. I have introduced quite a few people to vaping. Some have had great success and some have gone back and forth between vaping and analogs. My last cigarette was January 9th at 22:30. I do not ever see myself trying one again. Juice tastes so much better anyway. I think the key is to have your device and have back up batteries and plenty of juice.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Withdrawals would kick in 36 - 72 hours after stopping. You shouldn't experience that.

Habits are even more of a variant from one person to another. Issues there can set in immediately or not for a few days until you reach a particular situation. I've heard it can take up to 3 weeks to fully break a habit but most people get it done earlier.

For me, the part that was hardest to get used to was reaching for a lighter. The first day it was a bit odd not opening the flip top but I got over that quick. By the third day I wasn't reaching for the lighter anymore. I never had a craving.

But then again I am only at 3 weeks with one day in the middle where I smoked a pack due to circumstances.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
Withdrawals would kick in 36 - 72 hours after stopping. You shouldn't experience that.

Habits are even more of a variant from one person to another. Issues there can set in immediately or not for a few days until you reach a particular situation. I've heard it can take up to 3 weeks to fully break a habit but most people get it done earlier.

For me, the part that was hardest to get used to was reaching for a lighter. The first day it was a bit odd not opening the flip top but I got over that quick. By the third day I wasn't reaching for the lighter anymore. I never had a craving.

But then again I am only at 3 weeks with one day in the middle where I smoked a pack due to circumstances.

I had withdrawl, at 36-72hours. I just need to fight and vape threw.. 3 day,3weeks and 3month's a lot of people say are the hardest. Just be aware. So, if it happens you know what your dealing with. The other toxins need to leave your body

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I made the switch quite easily, and never wanted a cigarette since the first day, until two days ago, when I really really wanted one! With support from the good folks here, I vaped all that day and never did take that smoke. That being said, certain habits die hard, as others have said here. Every once in a while I find myself reaching over to where I always laid my pack of cigarettes. Purely muscle memory habit.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I had withdrawl, at 36-72hours. I just need to fight and vape threw.. 3 day,3weeks and 3month's a lot of people say are the hardest. Just be aware. So, if it happens you know what your dealing with. The other toxins need to leave your body

I quit smoking for six months using the patch but went back to smoking some time ago. The other toxins leaving the body didn't bother me then, hopefully won't now either.

The one thing I haven't faced yet with vaping is certain social situations. The people I've been around lately don't smoke or vape. All of them are supportive of vaping instead of lighting up.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
U know it took a few days as I started enjoying vaping more and more.
I just said shine it broke my last analog threw it on the ground took a pic of it. It's on my phone and haven't looked back.
Yeah I did wake up a few days ago with a craving, but vaped like there was no tomorrow. Still do, nah I ain't going back today.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Congrats on making the switch. I didn't stop smoking right away. It took me a couple of weeks before I stopped completely. It's been almost 3 months now and I still find myself looking for my ashtray and cigarette. I did have withdrawals, some anxiety, zits and just feeling yucky for a couple of weeks. I was able to get through that by chain vaping. Hope you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't go through the withdrawals that bad.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Congrats, I am about 6 weeks in and was completely stinky free in the first few days, so far I really haven't had a problem, also a 2 pad habit for many many years. Husband is struggling and keeps going back a forth, so it really is different for everyone. But if your not having a problem now, good chance you might not, I haven't..........fingers crossed.

Insurgence

May 26, 2013
USA
I had my mind set on never picking up an analog once I started vaping, before the fact. I did have one, that first day, that I found cleaning out my car. I wasn't that impressed even then, and have been content to vape ever since. I do get the occasional analog craving, but I vape through it pretty quickly. I go outside with the smokers at work and am gleeful that my eGo tastes better than that nasty tobacco.
I was beyond fed up when I quit, and had tried a few times in the past few years. Went back after three months cold turkey because I like smoking. Now, three weeks into vaping, there is finally a light at the end of the analog tunnel. Measurable improvement in my lung function and no trying-to-quit anxiety. Analogs stick to everything, smell gross, and are damn expensive. I have 0 urge to go back. ('Cept when my setup is being fiddly!)

Natey

Moved On
May 26, 2013
For me it was hard, i Vaped and still smoked, but i only had two smokes in the morning with my coffee, and two smokes in the afternoon with my Starbucks, then maybe one or two after dinner, the next week i had only one smoke with each listed, the the following week i allowed myself 3 smokes for the day, set them on the table and hid the pack in my desk, the so on till i was down to a smoke a day in the am with my coffee, it took a while, but after just the one a day, if later i had another one just by chance, i felt sick, so i finally went to Zero a day but once a week i had one. If that makes sense, as if i was missing something from quitting, but realized i didn't even want it, they stink, the taste was yuck, choking on the smoke, and never had another. Its a hard step, and everyone does it differently, but good luck and don't give up....

Last edited:

ADCarter1

Jun 5, 2013
Upperco, MD
Thanks to all of you for helping me and answering my questions. I want to be aware so when I come across some difficulty, I can dig deep, take a big breath and say, "I can get through this, I can do this".

Tomorrow is a big, emotional day/night for me- I am a fifth grade teacher and my students' "graduation" is tomorrow and I am going to be a wreck (this year's children are the loveliest bunch of students I have had in a long time) . I charged both my units and filled them; fingers crossed I'll make it!

Thank for being supportive and helpful!

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome , and it took almost 6 months , before I stopped thinking about cigarettes , but then one day , the cravings just went away . Been at this now for over two years , as has my wife . Hopefully your husband will come around . But don't try to shove it down his throat . He will try it when he feels like it . Maybe while your out shopping , or whatever . Leave a device with some great tasting juice laying around , when you go out . You never know , he might give it a try . Be sure to kind of mention the difference in drawing and inhaling on an e-cig , compared to a regular cigarette . Wouldn't want to gag him the first time he's tries it . Good Luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread