Flavored pods gone next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Per the Wall Street Journal, the FDA will ban flavors in pods, with the exception of tobacco and menthol, next year.

Speaking as someone who quit smoking cigarettes in 2011 thanks to e-cigarettes, I'm delighted that those GD pods, which threatened ALL of us who vape, will be gone.

Good call. For once, the government made an intelligent decision!

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
That's just for the Juul and closed systems. The fill your own pods and AIO devices will still be alive and kickin.

Not a fan of Juul but if it was not for blu or other cig-a-like type systems, I might never have found vaping. I did use the tobacco and menthol with the blu but honestly, the cherry and coffee blu was some of the stuff that got me interested to look for something better. I was fascinated that there were other flavors than menthol and tobacco. Smokers will not have that option where they buy their smokes now. Will have to go into a vape shop. Not sure I would have without trying something I bought at a Walgreens first to see if it actually worked.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
That's just for the Juul and closed systems. The fill your own pods and AIO devices will still be alive and kickin.

Not a fan of Juul but if it was not for blu or other cig-a-like type systems, I might never have found vaping. I did use the tobacco and menthol with the blu but honestly, the cherry and coffee blu was some of the stuff that got me interested to look for something better. I was fascinated that there were other flavors than menthol and tobacco. Smokers will not have that option where they buy their smokes now. Will have to go into a vape shop. Not sure I would have without trying something I bought at a Walgreens first to see if it actually worked.

Respectfully, I started vaping with Blu, too. But vaping in 2011 was very different than vaping in 2019. If someone is motivated to quit smoking via e-cigarettes, there's a ton of information available to learn all the devices and delivery systems that will enable them to do it.

I admit I abhor pods..because they appeal to lazy, clueless teenagers, because the entire vaping community almost lost All flavors, heck, because of all the spent pods I see currently littering parks.

Good riddance.

• Disagree
Reactions: spaceman84

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Respectfully, I started vaping with Blu, too. But vaping in 2011 was very different than vaping in 2019. If someone is motivated to quit smoking via e-cigarettes, there's a ton of information available to learn all the devices and delivery systems that will enable them to do it.

I admit I abhor pods..because they appeal to lazy, clueless teenagers, because the entire vaping community almost lost All flavors, heck, because of all the spent pods I see currently littering parks.

Good riddance.
I started vaping in 2013 and I agree pods appeal to the lazy. Pretty much like a cigarette did. Nothing lazier than pull out of pack and light. Just because there is information out there does not mean people are going to look for it. Sometimes the impulse buy is what gets the process started.

By the way, I am not defending Juul, I do not like them or how they threw this industry under the bus. I just hate limiting options to the still smoker. Just because I am good does not mean I don't care anymore. Heck, I would be good tomorrow with unflavored DIY stuff. After 6+ years I can get by. The still smoker might be turned off by tobacco or menthol flavors and say screw it, try it once and never go back. Not that I agree with that but people are lazy and unless motivated, will just not care to pursue.

Another thing to consider is this is just the first step in the process. I have no faith that the government will stop here. Plus the upcoming PMTA will be a rude awakening for this industry. I do not have a good feeling about what is right around the corner.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Per the Wall Street Journal, the FDA will ban flavors in pods, with the exception of tobacco and menthol, next year.

Speaking as someone who quit smoking cigarettes in 2011 thanks to e-cigarettes, I'm delighted that those GD pods, which threatened ALL of us who vape, will be gone.

Sounds like a clear case of misplaced anger.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I know a bunch of soldiers who vape closed systems rather than smoke. In combat it aint practical to refill. They carry prefilled magazines, water containers, food packs, lighting tools etc and now pre-filled vapes.

Police, firemen, ems folks, all kinds of first responders use pre-filled units. Lots regular vapers do too. To say they are lazy is just wrong. I suppose folks purchasing a 20oz bottle of water instead of by the gallon would mean they are lazy too, right? Or going to a restaraunt instead of cooking?

It's called convenience.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Pod devices in no way threatened us nor were they the reason for any of the bans. This all started long before pods. We have no one to blame but ourselves, we buried our heads in the sand and now it's biting us in the ..... As soon as vaping started getting a solid foothold we knew the industry would come under attack. The states literally need the $$ from BT and BP. They were never going to tolerate those losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread