Fcuk My Tofu! Damn E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
I've been a vegetarian for a couple of years, but a smoker way before that. I was always content with my tofu and "beef-less beef" and "chicken-less chicken", just added a little bit of worcestershire sauce,or A1, or fried it up with some italian-seasoned bread crumbs, and it was satisfying enough.

But now all of a sudden I'm getting my taste back, like I read would happen. I thought it wouldmake the tofu and other textrured soy-protein products taste less bland, but now they just taste more bland! :mad:

So far all I have left that has any decent taste to it are my buffalo nuggets from trader-joes and Burger King's vegiburgers topped with cheese, onion rings, and zesty sauce. This is not a god thing. Are there any vegetarians who know of some kind of vegetarian food that has a bit more taste to it? I'm ready to go back to my original vegetarian diet of ice cream, cheese doodles and french fries! And maybe I'll just have to get all my protien from muscle milk or my cannabis cereal from trader joes. Allthough I'm not sure if muscle milk as all 9 essential ammino acids.

Help me! I don't want to go back to meat or analogs but my tofu tastes like cr@p :(

Myra

Mar 2, 2009
Houston, Texas
Morning Star has some excellent tasting meatless meat products. Some of my favorite. Try cooking tofu with a blend of soy sauce and fresh crushed garlic (+ other spices) I find that the garlic and soysauce really help beef up the flavoring. And drink some soy milk (vanilla is my fav) and you should get enough proteins or just take vitamins? Vitamins are very important if you're a veg-head. :D

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
1 foot long soft roll
1 boca burger (original flavor)
2 hot/sweet pickled cherry peppers
1/4 diced onion (brown)
some cheese, whatever kind you like.

fry the boca burger (I always prefer a well-cured iron skillet), throw the the onions in when it's almost done.

Chop up the cherry peppers, throw them in the pan.

Take 2 spatulas and hack the burger and all together into a ground beef-like consistancy.

cook it up a bit more, line the inside of the soft roll with the cheese (mayo, mustard, whatever else)

scoop up your ground boca/onion/peppers and put it in the roll.

voila: vegetarian philly cheese-steak!

for the fries:

Pre heat oven to 450.

Cut up a large russet potato into french fry sized strips.

Put in baking pan. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Add salt and pepper.

Now toss it all together, and spread evenly on the bottom of the pan.

Bake for 15 minutes, turn, and bake for another 10 minutes or so, or until cooked through and browned.

Remove from oven and place on a paper towel (to soak up some of the oil).

Gut bomb!

nicosnack

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA USA
First, best thread title ever!

Second, are you saying you are a vegetarian and don't cook Indian food???

No offense, I am in no way a vegetarian, and I don't actually cook, but Indian veggie food is so astoundingly good if I could get it more easily I'd eat it very frequently. This is NOT bland! And no, that doesn't necessarily mean its going to burn your mouth out. Even on mild heat the flavors are amazing. You gotta check it out! (Not all Indian is veggie, but there is a lot of it.)

I've noticed no difference in my taste at this point, but then, I just like to eat. :rolleyes:

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Never heard of those brands, but I'll look for them. What specific products do they put out that have some richer flavor?

You can get Quorn at supermarkets on the left coast so it's probably available over on your side of the continent too. It's generally in the frozen foods aisle, although you can sometimes find it in the chilled section.

The stuff itself is best in chicken-like form - nuggets or tenders - because the grain of the "meat" is similar to chicken. I've seen it ground too. Flavour-wise it's pleasant enough, with none of that strong soy taste you get in Boca burgers and the like. Think of it as a vegetarian white meat and you'll get the idea. It's way overpriced though.

--
strayling -- occasional vegetarian

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
First, a disclaimer. I am wholeheartedly carnivorous and therefore may lack some sensitivity in these matters.

Now, for some veggie foods I have found quite tasty and definitely not bland. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, peas, wild rice, bell peppers, potatoes. Ok, I lack patience too. Pretty much all the veggies are quite tasty. It is that yucky tofu substance that never quite tastes like meat that is lacking flavor and substance. Why not try eating more produce and less of the processed stuff. There are other ways to get your soy proteins now, like in a smoothie - yum.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Burger King's veggie burgers are the Morningstar Farms brand. I just tried this brand's veggie breakfast sausage the other day - actually quite tasty for not being pork, reminded me of the beef sausage I got once at the Jewish deli.

Last edited:

KDMickey

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
If you'd like, I could have my wife PM you some good veggie recipes. You'd have to cook it, though. I just ate some of her sun-dried tomato ravioli. The other day I had sweet potato fries with a salmon burger (we do fish, milk, and cheese here). There's really a lot of versatility to vegetarian food... I only go carnivore 2-3 times a month, now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread