EC Blend Novelty Flavors - A Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohrdom

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Foster City, CA, USA
Dear fellow vapers,

My best friend and brother in this world gave me an amazing Christmas present: a collection of EC Blend’s novelty flavors. I’m talking bacon, chicken, crab legs – yeah, all the flavors everybody is afraid to try, but oddly curious to understand. So, dear readers, we went on an expedition. As brave explorers in uncharted territory, to go where no vaper has gone before:

Extreme. Food. Flavors.

We made a rating scheme, in the interest of imparting some consistency in this investigation. There was a lot of rye whisky involved. A LOT. Consider this a science experiment. Consider this a fun exploration into the ridiculous. +1 for EC Blends to make these, their sheer creativity and sense of humor is what keeps this life interesting! We had a few mount baker flavors available for mixing (he’s quite the blender), so no disrespect to EC Blend in those mixes: it was just what we had available.

Anyway, hope you enjoy…

Egg Nog
Nose: Creamy, hints of nutmeg, overwhelming sweetness.
Taste: Predominantly nutmeg & spice, minimal to no sweetness/cream.
Rating: 3/5
Notes: Needs cream. Best mixed with creamy/sweet flavor? Tried mixing with mount baker Sweet Cream and it became much better.

Sweet Potato Casserole
Nose: Gummy LifeSavers! Very sweet.
Taste: Distinctively sweet potatoes, some modest creaminess – like sweet potato fries? Or a sweet potato pie without spices. Definitely nailed sweet potato casserole.
Rating: 4/5
Notes: Great flavor, great vapor production. A little harsh on the TH. Needs steeping time? Or maybe more VG / less nic?

Caramel Pecan Maple Log
Nose: Hints of frosted doughnuts, but still just a general sweet smell.
Taste: Predominantly cake. Pecans strong on finish – candied pecans? The candy may be the maple coming through. Like a chocolate turtle, but without the chocolate.
Notes: Also strong TH, may decrease & mellow with steeping.

Butter
Nose: Nothing. Subtle buttery-ness, but wouldn’t guess it blind.
Taste: Nothing. Mild roasted butter? Very subtle.
Rating: 0/5
Notes: Disappointing, in general.

Bacon
Nose: Slightly smoky, a little meaty, slightly sweet.
Taste: Complex, hard to describe. Smoky, burnt/overcooked diner bacon?
Notes: I could do a small tank of this, but that’s about it. Maybe mix with maple to balance out the smoke? Not bad mixed with butter! Should say that I had the most excitement about this one, but it didn’t totally deliver – though I might add that it was better than I had expected.

Crab Legs
Nose: Herbal, salty, some pepper. NOT sweet!
Taste: Distinct taste of cooked crab legs! Slightly fishy, salty – taste of the sea. Some butter, herbaceousness, definitely nailed crab!
Rating: Can’t rate fairly. Not necessarily enjoyable for an ADV, but as a novelty flavor?! Spot on!!
Notes: Not bad when blended with bacon! Hmmm – bacon wrapped crab legs anybody?

Pizza Ria
Nose: Tomato sauce, olives, mushrooms. Like pizza rolls.
Taste: Pizza rolls, pesto, mild pepperoni, moderately like vomit! Garlic? Taste of marinara sauce. Distinct thyme.
Rating: Definite pizza taste. Can’t do much of this. As a novelty? Maybe 4/5. I don’t know if ANYbody could take this one for long.
Notes: Can’t inhale this. Definitely a novelty, but not far beyond that. Don’t devote a tank to this, the flavor lingers and it will waste a coil. Plan fresh cotton in a dripper – before AND after!

Roast Chicken
Nose: Nutty (chicken?), rosemary? Definitely meaty flavor.
Taste: Butter, minimal garlic, like a really healthy roasted chicken. Or maybe like really low-quality roasted chicken? Hard to decide, but a distinctively chicken flavor. Maybe closer to duck? (has the fatty taste that comes with roasted duck)
Rating: Again hard to rate. Works well as a novelty flavor, but missing something on its own… see notes below.
Notes: Mixed with Mount Baker pumpkin pie, this actually works surprisingly well. Like turkey with candied yams & mashed potatoes. Also good with Mount Baker’s Get Razzled flavor, like adding cranberry sauce to roasted fowl! Also really good mixed with the sweet potato casserole!! (again like re-creating a thanksgiving dinner – or a thanksgiving sandwich from the day after turkey day)

Roast Beef
Nose: More buttery than the chicken. Robust, with hints of spice and pepper.
Taste: Exact taste of a Sunday roast! Rich, beefy, like a slow-cooked roast.
Rating: Not as… um… versatile… as chicken. But distinctively roast beef. -1 from chicken, whatever the rating for chicken may be.
Notes: Mixed with Mount Baker’s Apple Pie, it’s not bad. Needs something acidic to cut through the savory flavor of beef. Also not bad with Mount Baker’s Blood Orange!

bohrdom

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Foster City, CA, USA
If you want "novelty," try their Dirty Ashtray flavor. :D It tastes a great deal like a cigarette you stubbed out and put back in the pack to smoke later. :D

Andria
Haha hmmm I'd try it. Once. Maybe to remind myself why I don't smoke anymore. :)

Actually, for the first few weeks I was trying tobacco after tobacco from all sorts of different companies, trying to find something that tasted like a cigarette. That's when I learned that "tobacco" != "cigarette." And that "strawberry milkshake" vapor >> "cigarette..."

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Haha hmmm I'd try it. Once. Maybe to remind myself why I don't smoke anymore. :)

Actually, for the first few weeks I was trying tobacco after tobacco from all sorts of different companies, trying to find something that tasted like a cigarette. That's when I learned that "tobacco" != "cigarette." And that "strawberry milkshake" vapor >> "cigarette..."

Yeah, I got that Dirty Ashtray flavor when I was looking for something that tasted like my cigarettes. That flavor wasn't it, but I did find a "Virginia" ejuice that tasted REMARKABLY like my old Virginia Slims -- and sometimes I would add a drop of the Dirty Ashtray to a tankful, to give it a really authentic smoky/ashy taste -- that's really what it's best for, to add just a touch to another tobacco-flavored vape to make it more authentic. For that, it's excellent -- and a lot cheaper than actual Tobacco Absolute.

Andria

bohrdom

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Foster City, CA, USA
Yeah, I got that Dirty Ashtray flavor when I was looking for something that tasted like my cigarettes. That flavor wasn't it, but I did find a "Virginia" ejuice that tasted REMARKABLY like my old Virginia Slims -- and sometimes I would add a drop of the Dirty Ashtray to a tankful, to give it a really authentic smoky/ashy taste -- that's really what it's best for, to add just a touch to another tobacco-flavored vape to make it more authentic. For that, it's excellent -- and a lot cheaper than actual Tobacco Absolute.

Andria

Interesting! Might not be a bad idea for newcomers. I've grown to really like the nutty spice of some tobacco flavors. Backwoods Brew's 555s sent me in that direction. The first pull I was like, "Ok how the heck is THAT tobacco?" But two pulls later I didn't care anymore about names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread